No announcement yet.

Looking towards the future... Warm Weather Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this would be a great subject for Joe to tackle in an in depth post. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the sale rundowns and the would you wear this stories, but I really love the old posts about what goes with what and how to wear a certain piece or what to wear to different occasions.

Comment

@ Alan, with the BB polos, I've never been able to embrace them because of the gold logo. But, I have a thing against logos, I've shelved my RL polos and I am currently in search of well made, affordable options.

@ Bere09, I second that! I think he has done something similar in the past, but I might be confused with styleblogger.com who did a thing on short sleeve button ups (my God I'm pathetic).

Comment

Anyone care to explain linen to this upper Midwest kid? I'm not familiar with the fabric.

Comment

@CJJ: Yes, most (if not all) of the BB polos do have the golden fleece logo, and more often than not, it's in gold. I have also seen it in black or white, though, depending on the color of the polo. I'm generally not a logo fan, but for some reason I don't mind those. I guess it's because I expect them on a polo shirt.

Comment

@nicholascrawford: Linen is really just very thin cotton (or other plant fibers) in a specific weave. It's very light and airy, but wrinkles like CRAZY. If you were to briefly crumple it in your hand, it would hold the wrinkle all day long.

It's great for tropical climates and pretty much feels like you're wearing nothing at all. Because it is so thin, you have to be cautious about what colors you're wearing - particularly on the lower half where you can see your underwear straight through the pants if you pick a bad combo.

Comment

@ Nick, since you mentioned in another thread that you were working on your sarcasm, I wasnt sure if I should respond or not... that bein said, Alan's explanation is right on.

Comment

Actually linen is different than cotton. It comes from a different plant - specifically, the flax plant. It has superior heat-transporting qualities to cotton, but the fibers are more brittle and less elastic, which is why linen garments are prone to wrinkling and can eventually be destroyed if they are tumbled-dry too frequently.

Cotton and other fibers can be woven in a "linen weave" which is just a lighter weave, but they are not true linen.

Ben

Comment

@Ben: Yeah, flax is the most common source for "textbook" linen, but the term is used for the whole class of plant-based fabrics that share the same characteristics, and most of the "linen" I've owned has been cotton (AFAIA).

Comment

@ Alan - My understanding (and I could be wrong, but obviously, I don't think I am ) is that any garment marked as "linen" should be made from flax fibers. I own a blazer and a pair of pants that are marked as cotton/linen blends, for example.

Ben

Comment

@Ben: It's not outside the realm of possibility that I misread my clothing labels. What I read as "cotton linen" might just be refering to a cotton/linen blend.

And FWIW, I donated all the pieces away when linen fell out of style for a few years so I can't even go check them again. Kind of wish I had it all back now, though. Some of it was pretty expensive, and it's been making a comeback.

Comment

On the OP's original subject - in warm weather, I tend to wear lighter-colored pants in lighter weaves or materials (like summer-weight chinos or linen pants), plus a polo shirt or a lightweight, long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up. As far as shoes go, I pretty much wear my normal shoes, except for boots. I have "boat shoes" (moccasins), canvas sneakers, and suede bucks, but I tend to wear those year-round, except in bad weather.

I try to refrain from wearing shorts, sandals, t-shirts, and other casual wear except in legitimately casual situations, like hanging out at my parents' lake-side cabin, or when I'm just hanging or doing chores/yardwork at home - or if it's the weekend and it's just boiling hot out.

One method I've found to help stay comfortable in hot temps is to change into fresh underwear/undershirt/socks partway through the day.

Ben

Comment

Down here, it'll stay above 100 for weeks at a time in the heat of the summer, and sometimes it doesn't even drop below 95 at night. I have 3 or 4 pairs of khaki and 2 pairs of plaid shorts that I rotate through along with the flip flops and polos. Now that I have boat shoes, they'll be getting some play.

I never wear t-shirts outside of bumming around the house or doing yard work. IMO, anywhere a t-shirt is appropriate, a polo will look better and is still appropriate.

Obviously I still wear pants to work. Outside of work, though, I try to completely avoid pants unless the sun has already gone down. It's also personally too hot for suits or blazers (unless your work requires them, and mine doesn't).

Comment

I'm actually pretty anxious to see what happens to the WIWT thread once it warms up. I feel like clothes can get pretty boring when I can't layer so I'm curious to see how everyone else mixes it up.

Comment

Brooks Brothers polos can have the logo in gold or sometimes in a matching color to the shirt. They're pretty good.

These are supposed to be really good, but they're not cheap:

http://www.kentwang.com/polos?SID=21...03c5b66d4e2229

Comment

Thought I'd chime in since I'm just coming out of my first style conscious Summer down here at the bottom of the world.

I've definitely kept the colours on the lighter side, as well as the fabric weight. A lot of summer weight chinos and linen/cotton blends. My go to no-nonsense office outfit would have been light chinos, lightweight oxford button down (sleeves rolled), boat shoes, canvas belt. Top that off with my trusty Caravans if I'm outside so I can per...*ahem* 'observe' like a ninja. Good to go 8 days a week if you wanted Certainly found it a good base to start from, change bits and pieces in and out as the mood strikes!

Comment

Working...
                                X