Wearing dress shirts with jeans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mercer View Post
    Well, my 2 university-stripe shirts don't have collar stays . . .
    I think you are hung up on the fact that they were advertised as "dress shirts." Regardless of what J Press and BB called them, they are OCBDs.

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
    I wear multiple button downs with denim. Just needs to be fitted. Large legged jeans look a bit funky. IE: Seinfeld
    Off-topic: my wife and I are binge-watching Seinfeld on DVD, and I am amazed at the awful 90s clothes. Jerry's problem was never baggy jeans; he had the skinny Levi's look down. It was the ridiculous oversized jackets and dad-Nikes that were the problem

Last edited by Rocco; March 2, 2015, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Hello,
      Any tricks for 2020 ?

Comment

I gave up jeans. I never have to worry if my sport coats go with my jeans. I wear jeans probably once a year.

Comment

Yes, I've noticed that certain "dress" shirts don't look exactly right with jeans, compared to an OCBD. I think fabric is a big indicator. Usually poplin shirts (except for gingham pattern) look a little too fancy/slick to go with denim. They are still fine, but you can always tell that they are slightly more fancy than jeans with a casual OCBD. And yes, even with slim, sleek, dark denim, it still looks a little off to me. If the fabric is more casual (not poplin), then it will look fine. If you throw on a blazer over the poplin/dress shirt, then you can make it look better. The same goes for a casual pair of chinos—the dress shirt will just look a little too nice/slick.

You can usually tell a guy doesn't know how to dress because he is wearing the jean-dress shirt combo, but probably also a pair of running shoes or square toed dress shoes :-) If every guy just knew how classic and good looking the combination of dark denim, a light blue OCBD, and some brown leather chukkas looked...

Comment

Originally posted by Bisant View Post
            Hello,
            Any tricks for 2020 ?
            Not till Halloween.
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

The jeans need to be nice if you're going to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                I gave up jeans. I never have to worry if my sport coats go with my jeans. I wear jeans probably once a year.
                What have you replaced them with? The jeans that is.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  What have you replaced them with? The jeans that is.
                  I wear wool pants virtually everyday. In summer, chinos about once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercer View Post
                    I have 2 university stripe oxford button-down shirts -- one from J. Press with blue stripes, and the other from Brooks Brothers with red stripes. I like wearing them with jeans, but a while back I realized they're actually dress shirts, not sport shirts. My criteria in regard to dress shirts vs. sport shirts is whether they're advertised as dress or sport. Also, dress shirts are sized with numbers, e.g. 16.5 x 35, while sport shirts are sized as S, M, L, XL, and so forth. However, my other dress shirts are all solid colors and are made of thinner material (as opposed to thick oxford cloth), and I wouldn't like the idea of pairing those with jeans anyway. What do y'all think? Do any of you here ever pair dress shirts and jeans?
                    For the shirt, the fabric, collar, and pattern seem to matter. As to the jeans, nicer, newer, and darker, seem to work better. A casual sports coat obviously covers most of the shirt and makes the jeans blend with the shirt better.

And, in my mind, a nice derby dress shoe, boot, or chukka, finishes the look better than sneakers.

I used to do this look a look with a dress shirt fairly often. But I grew unhappy with it. It doesn't look 100% right to me sometimes.
                    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                      Whatever you do, do not create a muffin top. A nice pair of slim fit jeans with a tight but not overly tight tuck. Rock out some 90s baggy jeans with a loose overhang, just below the belt but no lower. Some good ideas on jeans here: https://www.90sfashion.com/90s-jeans...-of-our-lives/

Comment

With clean, dark wash, it could look polished and smart-casual.

Comment

Working...
                        X