Wearing dress shirts with jeans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wearing dress shirts with jeans?

I have 2 university stripe oxford button-down shirts -- one from J. Press with blue stripes, and the other from Brooks Brothers with red stripes. I like wearing them with jeans, but a while back I realized they're actually dress shirts, not sport shirts. My criteria in regard to dress shirts vs. sport shirts is whether they're advertised as dress or sport. Also, dress shirts are sized with numbers, e.g. 16.5 x 35, while sport shirts are sized as S, M, L, XL, and so forth. However, my other dress shirts are all solid colors and are made of thinner material (as opposed to thick oxford cloth), and I wouldn't like the idea of pairing those with jeans anyway. What do y'all think? Do any of you here ever pair dress shirts and jeans?

An OCBD is the perfect shirt for denim. The 2 you have from J Press & BB are classics. I wouldn't really call them dress shirts put perfect for just about anything else; Blazers, chinos, denim, cords, even shorts.

Comment

I wouldn't call those dress shirts really. I would ignore the criteria you are using. There is not a sharp line between dress and sport.

Also I'm currently wearing a royal oxford dress shirt and jeans, with a sportcoat hanging behind me.

Anything with pattern or texture, or even something higher in formality (up to a crisp white dress shirt) but paired with the right jacket etc works fine. Just qvoid abrupt formality transitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercer View Post
        Also, dress shirts are sized with numbers, e.g. 16.5 x 35, while sport shirts are sized as S, M, L, XL, and so forth.
        I haven't found this to be necessarily true. A certain...I'll say type, for lack of a better word, a certain type of dress short comes packaged with the sizing formula of neck, should and arm measurements, but certainly not all.

Button down shirts are very versatile and can pair well with denim. There are certain things I would avoid personally (french cuffs and denim, for example or pairing with too casual denim), other than that. I think a crisp button down can look good with a proper fitting pair of dark wash jeans.

Comment

I wear multiple button downs with denim. Just needs to be fitted. Large legged jeans look a bit funky. IE: Seinfeld

Comment

I frequently wear button downs with my jeans. Normally i aim for OCBD's and leave the regular dress shirts for M-T at work.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
              I frequently wear button downs with my jeans. Normally i aim for OCBD's and leave the regular dress shirts for M-T at work.
              Problem is, OCBDs can be sport shirts OR dress shirts, hence my original question. For what it's worth, the university OCBDs I mentioned in my original post were both advertised as dress shirts when I ordered them. But then again, others on here have said that just because it's advertised as a dress shirt doesn't necessarily make it so. ;-)

Comment

Problem is, OCBDs can be sport shirts OR dress shirts, hence my original question. For what it's worth, the university OCBDs I mentioned in my original post were both advertised as dress shirts when I ordered them. But then again, others on here have said that just because it's advertised as a dress shirt doesn't necessarily make it so. ;-)
                I think to the layman any shirt with a collar on it is considered a "dress shirt." Hell, a lot of folks consider a polo shirt a "dress shirt." You see the same thing with shoes being called "dress shoes" on websites and advertisements when really they aren't. Everyone here knows better, and honestly are the minority. Calling an OCBD a dress shirt is, likely, an attempt to appeal to a broader demographic. I'd personally pretty much always consider an OCBD a casual shirt, and would absolutely (and do most days) pair with dark denim.

Comment

It works just fine IMO. I'd recommend you rolling up your sleeves/unbuttoning the top button to be more casual. Also I would try to get a shirt with more color/pattern (like a gingham or something) rather than your plain whites. Also while your method generally works for dress vs. casual, the real difference is looking at the bottom of the shirt. A casual shirt will be squared off, meaning its meant to be worn untucked. A dress shirt is longer and has a longer "tail" which goes much lower. That is meant to be tucked in (the tail/length is so that it remains tucked in when you bend/move around). Wearing a dress shirt untucked generally looks sloppy, even when going for a casual look.

Comment

Dress shirts with denim is a no-brainer and frankly can be a go-to look if you live in an area where people dress more casually. Like other people have said:

1. Dark denim with no holes or fading.
                    2. No dress shirts with more formal elements, mainly French cuffs

Here are some example looks, with ties no less!!!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/160229699218591808/

Comment

I think key differentiators in dress shirt and sport shirts are usually a few things:

1) Collar stays or button downs. A dress shirt should always have them. Sport shirts will not, but could.

2) Colors. A dress shirt will typically have no more than 3 colors, and even then only in a pattern like prince of whales or tartan. Most sport shirts will also push those patterns, such as a wide stripe or a buffalo check.

3) Printed patterns- dots, paisley, anchors, etc. Are rarely seen on a dress shirt.

So some sport shirts may have collar stays and a conservative color scheme/pattern and work fine with a tie and trousers. Others will look very out of place. Make sure it is crisp, ironed, with a good collar, and can be tucked in comfortably. When all of these are done, you will have magically made it a dress shirt.

Comment

Gotta agree with what [MENTION=12707]DapperTexan[/MENTION] says. I'd use the same criteria.

Comment

Yeah, Rule #1: Don't worry too much about the advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
                            I think key differentiators in dress shirt and sport shirts are usually a few things:
                            1) Collar stays or button downs. A dress shirt should always have them. Sport shirts will not, but could.
                            Well, my 2 university-stripe shirts don't have collar stays . . .

Comment

Well, my 2 university-stripe shirts don't have collar stays . . .
                              Meh, take my opinion with a grain of salt. As long as it isn't limp/flimsy it's fine I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X