Necessary to buy a tuxedo shirt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Necessary to buy a tuxedo shirt?

Is it really necessary to buy a shirt specifically for a tuxedo, or would any clean white button up do the trick?

I don't know the protocol on whether a tux shirt is necessary to wear with a tux. If it isn't, I would think it would still be preferable to wear something rather formal - no pockets, maybe French cuffs, etc.

Ben

Comment

There are plain front, collared tuxedo shirts, but they do still have fundamental differences to regular shirts.

So you've bought a tux and now you're wondering about the shirt? FWIW, you can still rent a shirt separately if you're not ready to buy.

Comment

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: tuxedo shirts have a unique style. A "regular" dress shirt will look out of place with a tuxedo.

Comment

Actually, no, you do not.

It's common and traditional to have pleated fronts with studs, but it's by no means required. A straight high-quality white shirt, with a nice pattern (herringbone, oxford) and dense material, is often what you'll see worn with tuxedos at many gala events. You'll want a nice collar, too (no button down—I prefer semi-spread). The placket can be covered, french, or normal, whatever works for you.

Comment

Examples:

http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/imag...on_400X300.jpg

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/im...-oscars200.jpg

Comment

Christian, I've worn tuxedos regularly since I was in high school. My profession requires it. People who try to get away with a regular dress shirt look out of place. Notice that Clooney is the only one wearing a button down, and it looks out of place.

Comment

I'm with Christian on this one. I would not wear a normal dress shirt, but a very nice white shirt with french cuffs (preferably no front pocket) does the trick. I've seen plenty of terrible tux shirts that don't equal a nice regular white shirt.

Note that I'm not a fan of wearing long ties as formal wear, but if you do, the non-tux shirt is easier to pull off since you don't need studs as they'd be covered up.

Comment

I am going to agree with bruschetta here. As soon as i saw the clooney pic, i noticed the mother of pearl buttons. They stand out too much. you dont have to get wing collars unless you want to pay hommage to the old world, but at the least you need to have studs on the placket and cuffs, no pockets. the fabric on a tux is not the same as that of the trad. white bd. Taken from Alan Flussers "Dressing the Man" are examples see below

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                  I>0<I

Comment

And truly if you are invited to a Black tie Affair, you really should do it all the way...aint no half steppin...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                    I>0<I

Comment

Three things.

1) None of us have George Clooney swag.

2) Half the fun of a black tie event is showing up dressed to the nines.

3) You never want to be the guy at an event who's worried if he's up to code.

Comment

Looks like I'll be on the lookout for a shirt then. Any recs?

Comment

Picked up this shirt from Macy's on sale.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/michelsons-of-london-dress-shirt-pleated-point-boxed-tuxedo-long-sleeve-shirt?ID=628336&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Thankfully the last one they had left was in my size. Two questions...

1. Thoughts on the buttons? I was originally looking for hidden buttons or the button studs. The buttons are on a strip of fabric that I suppose can be removed?

2. The pleats on the front don't go ALL the way down the shirt. They go most of the way down, but not all the way. That means the very bottom where it is tucked into my pants show no pleats.

The shirt itself is extremely baggy. While I could get it tailored, the wedding is in two weeks and I might not have time. Any recommendations for a slim tuxedo shirt at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Comment

Keep your tux jacket on the whole time?

Two weeks is plenty of time to tailor a shirt. Can you tell I don't have a slim tuxedo shirt recommendation to be helpful? =P

Comment

I saw tuxedo shirts at JC Penney last week for $35, but Nick is right about 2 weeks being enough for a tailor.

Disclaimer: I've never tailored ANYTHING, but my research agrees with Nick. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X