Seiko Recraft Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seiko Recraft Series

I was in love with a few of the watches in this series at first sight. Especially the SNKN37. I was planning to get an Orient Bambino, but one look at this watch changed my mind. I love Vintage cushion case Seikos, but most of them look too small on my wrist. These watches have vintage design cues, in a modern size, and I'm a sucker for a blue face. Most of them are going for under $150, and at that price I think they are giving Orient a real run for the money, especially the automatics in the line.

Cellphone snaps don't really do it justice, but here's my SNKN37 that just came today maybe I'll take some with better lighting and a real camera later.

very nice

is that your own strap?

Comment

this looks really nice... I would love some additional pics in better lighting... I might kop this myself

Comment

Originally posted by tailoredbydang View Post
        very nice

is that your own strap?
        It's the strap that came on it.

Comment

Beautiful time piece.

Comment

Really nice. That is borderline for my wrist but worth a trip to a B&m to try it.

Comment

Better pics as promised Seiko SNKN37

Comment

very nice. the manufacturer pics dont do it justice.

Comment

Great writeup on the site Joe!

I really like the gradient faces! Seiko used them a lot in the 1970s, and that's the look these are clearly patterned after, so it makes sense. That said the blue face was clearly my favorite, so much so that I basically jumped on it as an impulse buy even though I'd been looking at getting a Bambino. The only thing I don't love about these watches is the band. They are stiff with a plasticky feel, and that grainy texture does not seem natural at all. So I upgraded mine to a shell cordovan band. IO don't understand why watches at this price point always get such ugly bands. Seiko does it, and Orient does it too. Meanwhile there are a lot of cheaper watches out there with nicer looking bands, and of course the more expensive ones get better bands as well.

As for the movement, while a hacking/hand winding movement might be nice to have, I really have no need for hand winding, as a quick shake tends to get all my autos started, and once on, they will run fine with no winding necessary. Hacking would be nice to have, but I was able to stop the second hand by just turning the daily back slightly. It's fiddly, and in the end I didn't have the patience to get it any closer than within 3 seconds of the time displayed on my computer. This watch has kept almost perfect time for the week I've had it, only gaining about 2 seconds in that time. I guess I lucked out on this movement. My orients gained more than that in a day. I didn't wear it on Saturday, switching it out for my Orient Flight, so it was off my wrist for ~36 hours without losing anything in terms of accuracy in that time.

Edited to ad 1 minor gripe: Though the Amazon listing says it has Lumibrite hands, and it looks for all the world like the white paint on the hands and face might be lume, this watch does not in fact have any lume. I personally think that would have been a nice touch, and shouldn't add much to the production cost.
                  Last edited by mattface; March 4, 2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

That's a really nice looking watch strap. I've become a huge fan of the way shell cordovan rolls.

However, I mostly just jumped in here to comment on Joe referencing "High Enough" by Damn Yankees (and linking to the very nearly perfect video!*). It is such a perfect godawful gem of a butt rock power ballad. No question that it's going to be in my head for days.

*The Nuge kicking down the screen door to step out on the porch for a bullet-repelling guitar solo is basically the 80's dropping the mic.

Comment

sigh, i've been thinking about the blue one ever since you posted it >_<
                      trying very hard to not impulse buy...

the face looked pretty dark in your first few pictures, do you think it'd work with a black strap??

Comment

Originally posted by tailoredbydang View Post
                        sigh, i've been thinking about the blue one ever since you posted it >_<
                        trying very hard to not impulse buy...

the face looked pretty dark in your first few pictures, do you think it'd work with a black strap??
                        First couple of pics were taken with a cellphone sitting on the couch of my dimly lit living room, the face is bluer than those pics. I'm a fan of blue and brown, but I don't see why it couldn't work with a black band.

Comment

[MENTION=7398]mattface[/MENTION] - really thinking about the blue (after your pics / straps, looks great) or maybe the even more retro green on a bracelet ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3GBWWJXD3JOBW ). Any comment on whether the movement is loud? i.e., can you hear it ticking? It's been more of an issue with Timexes that I've purchased, but wasn't sure if Seiko's in this price range might also have the same. TYIA

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                            [MENTION=7398]mattface[/MENTION] - really thinking about the blue (after your pics / straps, looks great) or maybe the even more retro green on a bracelet ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3GBWWJXD3JOBW ). Any comment on whether the movement is loud? i.e., can you hear it ticking? It's been more of an issue with Timexes that I've purchased, but wasn't sure if Seiko's in this price range might also have the same. TYIA
                            I wouldn't call it loud. I don't hear it, but my wife commented on it when she had her head rested near my wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post
                              I wouldn't call it loud. I don't hear it, but my wife commented on it when she had her head rested near my wrist.
                              That's fair -- I've had Timexes that you can hear across a room if you don't have the tv/music on; sounds like this isn't the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X