How often do you purchase new suits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you purchase new suits

With the recent SuitSupply review (thanks by the way) it started me wondering how often you guys purchase new suits.

For me, I usually end up going on a suit buying spree once a year. The good about this (for me at least) is that I lay out a bunch of cash at once, and then can coast for the rest of the year. The bad about this though is that whenever I see a sale or a product review, usually on this site, it starts me thinking I need to stock up on suits again.

So I figured I'd see what you guys do. Do you have a set time of the year when you buy your suits? Looking forward to what you have to say.

--
    Tried to add a category to the poll per requests but can't see how to go about doing it.
    once a year
    52.63%
    more than once a year
    15.79%
    whenever there is a sale and a suit in my size
    31.58%
    Last edited by DocDave; February 19, 2015, 02:28 PM. Reason: tried to add a catagory to the poll

Less than once a year for me, and I wear them nearly every weekday for work -- how many suits do you need?

That being said, I didn't start from scratch, so I'm more in 'replacement' mode rather than 'addition' mode in terms of what I need to buy. When I do buy suits, I typically get 3 made at a time (custom guy in NYC) as there's usually a price reduction if you get 3 at a time.

Comment

There is no option for "once every 44 years or so?" Seriously, I own 3 suits all purchased second hand. The last new suit I owned was purchased by my parents, probably before I'd reached adolescence. Now I like to dress sharp, and I'd LIKE to buy lots of suits, but my opportunities to wear one are few and far between. In my workplace I'm overdressed when I wear a jacket and tie. I bought a navy pinstripe suit last year from a local vintage shop for $50 and it's probably the most expensive one I've buoght since I graduated from college (that one was a 1920s vintage navy double breasted 3 piece suit in diamond weave wool and it was fantastic but WAY too warm for modern central heated buildings, and after a decade way too small for me) So my wedding is actually the first excuse I've found to buy a new suit. I figure if I could afford the extravagance I might buy as many as a couple a year, but I really don't need more than 1 suit for the occasional wedding and funeral. Even if most guys buy suits more often than I do, that's still less than once a year.

Comment

Agree with the above that less than once a year should definitely be an option. If you're buying more than suit per year, I suspect you're doing something wrong.

Comment

I'm clocking in at about once to twice a year now.

I "need" suits more than I "want" them as they are required Monday - Thursday at my office. With that said, this site has helped me become a lot more disciplined about spending. For example, I learned my lesson about impulse buys from past mistakes and I have grown to appreciate subtle but important differences in quality - things like fused vs half or full canvas, pure 110s or 120s wool vs blends, etc.

At my age, I'd rather skip a $200 suit purchase and wait until next go around to pick up a $400-$500 suit every seven or eight months. Time flies and you'd be surprised how quicky your collection of high quality duds starts to fill in. Mind you this is just my 0.02 - YMMV!

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post
            I'd LIKE to buy lots of suits, but my opportunities to wear one are few and far between. In my workplace I'm overdressed when I wear a jacket and tie.
            Same here. I wear suits maybe 5-10 times per year at most. I'll occasionally wear a sport coat to work and my coworkers will ask if I'm presenting something that day. I currently have two sport coats and one suit, the latter not even fitting well since I lost weight, but I'm not compelled to replace it just yet. On average, I probably purchase a suit once every 2-3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Embargo1063 View Post
              I'm clocking in at about once to twice a year now.

I "need" suits more than I "want" them as they are required Monday - Thursday at my office. With that said, this site has helped me become a lot more disciplined about spending. For example, I learned my lesson about impulse buys from past mistakes and I have grown to appreciate subtle but important differences in quality - things like fused vs half or full canvas, pure 110s or 120s wool vs blends, etc.

At my age, I'd rather skip a $200 suit purchase and wait until next go around to pick up a $400-$500 suit every seven or eight months. Time flies and you'd be surprised how quicky your collection of high quality duds starts to fill in. Mind you this is just my 0.02 - YMMV!
              If I had to wear a suit 4 days a week I'd probably buy more than one a year as well.

Comment

My workplace says ties are a must Monday - Thursday but a lot of people do not wear a jacket. I am more of a sport coat guy as I like to mix it up. I don't mix and match my suit jackets but a navy sport coat can go with just about anything as can brown.

My best suit is a SuSu Napoli I bought last year and will probably not buy one for a few more years. Since that purchase in June, I have bought 3 sport coats but not SuSu.

Comment

For those wearing suits 4-5 days a week even, how many suits do you own and/or what's your ideal number in rotation? I keep things simple with patterns, etc. (so it isn't blatantly obvious I'm wearing the same suits once a week) and find that (with having 2 pairs of slacks per suit, to extend life) it takes at least 3 years, probably more, before I need to replace a suit.

Comment

only when I get married....so like once every 3 years.

Kidding

Comment

Once a year for me

Outside of a formal work event or a wedding, I just go with a blazer/dress pants combo. Wish I had more occasions to wear suits, however.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                        For those wearing suits 4-5 days a week even, how many suits do you own and/or what's your ideal number in rotation? I keep things simple with patterns, etc. (so it isn't blatantly obvious I'm wearing the same suits once a week) and find that (with having 2 pairs of slacks per suit, to extend life) it takes at least 3 years, probably more, before I need to replace a suit.
                        I wear a suit 4 days a week and I currently have 7 suits.

Comment

All depends! eg. this summer I will have to purchase a bunch of replacements most likely since I only have 5 suits( also Tux and Black suit but you can't wear those to work), but 3 of which are all tailored for when I'm an anorexic 185lbs, 2 of them for 195lbs but I'm aiming for 220lbs so that's a new purchase territory. Could be once a year, or a few times a year, I blame the media.

Comment

Originally posted by Kroaker View Post
                            Same. Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Kroaker View Post
                              Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
                              Same. Seven
                              Interesting, thanks for the replies. Are those counts meaning 7 all-seasons suits? Or are some cotton/summer or tweed/winter suits? I think my real suit rotation is honestly 4 all season, but have 2 summer suits (and a tux, but I don't count that for this exercise).

EDIT: Note that I intend to buy another all season suit or 2 (or 3) this year, so I'm not far off from you guys either way.

Comment

Working...
                              X