In the name of Spring, should I......?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the name of Spring, should I......?

Question fellas. What would you wear (both professional & casual) with such a tie:

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/tommy-hilfiger-tie-campus-plaid

'Preciate ya assistance!

Heaf

I wouldn't professionally, but I'd absolutely wear it casually. I like how bright it is. What's it made of?

FWIW, I recently bought what I'm calling my "picnic table" tie. It's blue/red plaid and 100% cotton. I'll be wearing it with a rolled-up white or blue OCBD and jeans when the weather gets better. It's not nearly as bright as yours, but it was like $12 on clearance so I nabbed it.

Comment

Also, Dillards had a half of a table dedicated to similar ties in silk when I was down there on my lunch break today. They were probably in the $25 range.

Comment

Is it cotton or silk? I just can't get behind casual ties in silk. A cotton-silk blend or a wool-silk blend would be ok. It just needs some texture and substance to it that silk doesn't have.

Ben

Comment

It is silk. Definitely feel you on the "casual" vibe. I was thinking of wearing it professionally because it has a undertone of silver masking the vibrant color. Hard to explain. Makes it look svelte and able to be mult-functional (i.e. white oxford shirt, grey slack and wingtips).

Comment

^ that was going to be exactly my suggestion.

Comment

The only way I see that tie working in silk is with a lightweight, tan, wool suit. At least that's the only way I'd wear it. That being said, I really do like it. Just don't own anything to pull it off.

Comment

Love the color and plaid (is that tartan) but the silk IMO doesn't work. I do think it can be done professionally, however, the level of formality would err on the lower end of professional. Like if u worked in a creative consulting firm environment. But casual is ok too, go with a unbuttoned dressshirt JCrew look most of their models pull off. It takes some pizazz to pull the one button undone lose tie but wit a tie like that I'd give it a go. Just make sure everything else in your outfit is casual dark jeans or chinos and bluchers or clean chucks or purcells.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                I>0<I

Comment

I would suggest an ensemble like this GQ cover

Comment

@ Max & Alan, great points! Failed to mention that the tie is normally $35; saw it for $13 so I figured "What the hell!" Picking up today.

Comment

I'm not up on my patterns but it looks like a madra, although I thought they were made of cotton.

Comment

@NC - best GQ cover ever. Such a classic look.

Comment

As others have said, not crazy about that pattern on a silk tie. Regardless, a good casual look with that tie would be a white OCBD(neutral color with texture contrast), dark blue chinos(dark blue should play well with the tie's light blues) and dark brown leather boat shoes. Professional look? That's tough. I think for the spring/summer it could work with a cotton suit like J. Crew's chino numbers. I'd definitely say stick with the white shirt if you're going the suit route. A tie with that many colors in mostly light tones would be tough to match with a non-white shirt.

Comment

@grasking, its neither, tartan pattern is more box like and the madras is a fabric that usually comes in plaid patterns. I think in this case its just a plaid.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                            I>0<I

Comment

Working...
                            X