Canvas Sneakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canvas Sneakers

Hello Gents. It's still below freezing out in this neck of the woods, but I'm starting to think about the warmer weather. My go-to shoes in summer are usually canvas sneakers. After finding Vans too flat (no support) Converse All Stars not much better, and PF-Flyer lacking in quality (I rotated two pairs last summer and both need to be replaced), I'm looking for recommendations for a supportive canvas sneaker that might actually survive the summer. Preferably in the $60 or less range, but for quality I might be able to justify more. Thanks!

I recently purchased a pair of SeaVees Westwood. I love the appearance, but they're not all that comfortable and won't offer much in the support or durability, I suspect. You might want to look into Superga Cotu Classics.

SeaVees... http://www.barneyswarehouse.com/SeaV...etoaAhd78P8HAQ

Supergas... http://www.eastdane.com/2750-classic...SE_froogle_USA

Comment

I had a similar issue with trying to find a canvas sneaker for summer wear as well. I know it doesn't answer your question directly, but I settled on a pair of Adidas Stan Smith's. The support was much better and while not a canvas sneaker, and a little above your $60 price range, I am happy with my purchase. I do have a pair of Converse Chucks that I throw in to the summer shoe rotation too, but I hear ya on the lack of support.

Comment

I was thinking of giving these a shot: http://www.greats.com/products/the-wilson-light-grey

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
          Hello Gents. It's still below freezing out in this neck of the woods, but I'm starting to think about the warmer weather. My go-to shoes in summer are usually canvas sneakers. After finding Vans too flat (no support) Converse All Stars not much better, and PF-Flyer lacking in quality (I rotated two pairs last summer and both need to be replaced), I'm looking for recommendations for a supportive canvas sneaker that might actually survive the summer. Preferably in the $60 or less range, but for quality I might be able to justify more. Thanks!
          I don't know of any low-profile classic canvas sneakers that offer the type of support you're looking for. I have flat feet, and what I've done with some success is putting a thin insole (like Superfeet Black) into my Vans, which I size up 1/2 size to accommodate.

Comment

Maybe check out Converse's Chuck All Star Pros? I just picked up a pair myself. They are just like Chucks, but are from their skateboarding line and come with a nice comfy insole.

Edit: I should add I've tried these on along with Superga COTU 2750s and Jack Purcell's and found in terms of comfort it was ASP > JP > COTU
            Last edited by unnamedplayer; February 17, 2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Superga's may be what you're looking for. Very high quality for the price, and more comfortable than the Vans or Converse you listed. The only issue I've had with them is, that while the canvas is soft, it's a bit rough. So for the first week or two I'd have to limit sockless where to short periods of time because it would cause a blister to form on my small toe. After the break in period, they've been fine though. I've had 3 pairs which look very well used, but are completely intact for 3 years now. A pair of Vans lasts me, at most, 6 months before I tear a hole through the toe box.

Comment

I've owned like a gazillion white canvas kicks now. I must live in them hard or something, though, because nothing anyone lists as "quality" lasts me more than a few months. Granted, I wear them probably 4-5 days a week and often out on weekends so that definitely ages them fast.

Last year I got the Superga's after being tired of the Jack Purcell's falling apart and they were great - for a bit. I wore them aggressively from April through about July, at which point the sole started splitting from the canvas. I replaced them mid-summer with the newer all white Chuck's with the red label on the tongue and they held up the rest of the summer until I retired them around September.

So in the end, I guess my conclusion is to go for an affordable option because no matter what you're going to destroy them pretty fast (even the supergas). I'm definitely not into the $90 tag on the new JPs. I might try some Nike Killshots this spring and see how those hold up.

Comment

Originally posted by ac6 View Post
                  I don't know of any low-profile classic canvas sneakers that offer the type of support you're looking for. I have flat feet, and what I've done with some success is putting a thin insole (like Superfeet Black) into my Vans, which I size up 1/2 size to accommodate.
                  I agree with putting insoles. I can fit the thick gel kind in vans slip ons.

Comment

I'm sure I will pay for it later, but living in Southern California means Vans have been my go to sneakers for as long as I can remember. I'm actually going to pick up the grey ones from J. Crew soon to replace a very aged light blue pair.

Comment

I bought a pair of Sperry Haylard slip on shoes last summer. I was so impressed that a bought a similiar pair of the Sperry Striper CVO.

For a $50-$60 canvas shoe, I am very pleased. I wore the first pair all summer, and they still look almost knew. They have more support and removable/replaceable inserts, and their is an extra ring of padding around the ankle. I still have a pair of Chucks in my closet, but I don't expect to replace them.
                      Last edited by Alexjm80; February 17, 2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

I've been in the market for a casual white sneaker as well. Anyone have experience/thoughts on these from SeaVees? The pricing is attractive and so is the off-white tint the way it looks in the photos, but I'm hesitating due to it being final sale and not knowing my size in SeaVees.

http://shop.seavees.com/collections/...neaker-natural

Comment

Any recommendations for those of us with wide feet?

Comment

They aren't sneakers but I have Timberland earthkeeper canvas shoes and they are pretty awesome and comfortable. Just kind of hard to clean.

Comment

Last summer I wore the Tretorn Otto. They have a boat shoe shape but come in a variety of fabrics, including canvas. They are very affordable, good quality and comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X