lent - you giving anything up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lent - you giving anything up?

Today is MARDIS GRAS (Fat Tuesday) which means that tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. Without getting too religious-y, is anyone here planning on giving anything up for Lent?

I have been buying WAY too much stuff lately, so I've decided to give up retail shopping altogether until Easter, and also to restrict my thrift shopping to once-weekly on Thursdays. It will be interesting to see if I can make it the whole time.

Ben

2nd year in a row that I'm giving up meat!

Comment

Yeah, religion.

Comment

I'm giving up staying up late and making myself workout 5 days a week in the morning. I will only stay up late when I go out on Friday or Saturday. It's gonna be a struggle.

Comment

My landlord is about to be blindsided by No Rent Lent.

Comment

"I'm giving up staying up late and making myself workout 5 days a week in the morning. I will only stay up late when I go out on Friday or Saturday. It's gonna be a struggle."

5x a week workouts are nearly impossible to keep up with and are only necessary when someone is in life-threateningly bad shape. Recovery time is one of the most important aspects of a successful fitness program. Push your body too hard and it'll plateau quickly while hoarding as many calories as it can. Combine those two with cumulative muscle fatigue and it's a matter of time before you hurt yourself. Take it from someone who really researched the hell out of effective workout principles after experiencing the inevitable brick wall of a 5X program.

A 3X program combining full body strength training (squats, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, barbell row) with High Intensity Interval Training is way more efficient and will get you faster results. It sounds counter-intuitive, but the research says 5X programs are just inefficient.

Comment

Well I'm a professional dancer so some of those "workouts" will be regular rehearsal. I just tend to not actually do gym workouts and lifting on my days off because I get lazy. I'm not going to be lifting 5 days a week.

Comment

I'll be giving up the chip type snacks; potato chips, cheese curls, tortilla chips, etc.

Man I love that stuff

Comment

@Tomas -- you could also lift 3x and then do light cardio, yoga or a stretching class on the days in between. Definitely gives you benefits above a 3x without ruining yourself.

Comment

As a devout Catholic I am giving up all alcohol, shopping for clothes, Chocolate and Facebook. I might actually give up Facebook for good.

Ben; you can't talk about Lent without getting religious-y. I know it isn't PC in the US to discuss your religion and beliefs, but Lent is a religious subject.

Comment

I know a lot of atheists who participate in Lent. I realize it's religious, but there's an appeal even for the secular.

Comment

MagM, is it not hypocritical to denounce or even bad mouth a religion and then pick and choose parts of it to partake because it's cool.

Not directing that at you, it just ticks me off when people do that.

Comment

I'm adding things to make up for all the things other people are giving up.

Comment

I don't follow a religion anymore so, nothing! I was raised Christian so I get to watch a few people I know struggle with the sacrifices, though.

Mmmm. Meat. Chocolate. Staying up late. Laziness.

Comment

Lol @MagM "No Rent Lent"

Comment

Working...
                              X