So.... longwings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So.... longwings

I've never been a fan of longwings for whatever reason. They seem a bit... stodgy? unbalanced? Like the designer of a wingtip fell asleep at the keyboard - "ok... medallion, brogueing, wingggggggggggggggggg"

Yesterday, I saw this post on Cool Material: http://coolmaterial.com/style/levis-...nic-501-jeans/ , and while I'm so-so on the jeans, THOSE SHOES. Dayumn. Not sure what it is, something about the chunky, tan sole and low profile.

Not sure what they are, but after poking around the net the closest thing I can find are the Alden for JCrew waxed longwings (https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...8582/18582.jsp) at a cool $555. Wimper.

Anyone know some other options out there they like? I've been poking around ebay, thinking I wait around and take a flyer on a used pair that I won't mind taking sandpaper to (90% of them have dark soles) and having some fun with.

I'm pretty sure those are indeed the Alden waxed longwings. I agree that there's something very specific about the shape of Alden's longwings that sets them apart. I don't have the general antipathy that you do for longwings, but I agree that the Aldens are a decided cut above.

Given that general distaste, it might be tough to find a less pricey alternative. However, you might want to look into the Allen Edmonds MacNeil. It's not cheap by any means, but it's less expensive than Aldens and often sold at a discount as seconds. the Florsheim Veblen is an even less expensive, though to my eye less attractive option. It's likely not going to be as well made either, but the cost savings is considerable. Meermin makes some pretty nice looking longwings. The tan country calf version (https://meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4069) might be close to what you're looking for and also less pricey than the Aldens.

Otherwise, your best bet might be to keep your eyes peeled on eBay and the Styleforum marketplace for Alden waxed calf longwings to come up. Keep in mind that most people size down 1/2 size from their typical shoe size in that particular Alden last. If you're going to buy from the second hand market, it might be worthwhile to try a pair on at your local J Crew, just so you know what you're looking for.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Shomas; February 12, 2015, 01:33 PM.

Comment

The rust-colored Florsheim Veblen is somewhat similar to the shoes in that picture, including the natural sole. It's a recently discontinued model, but you can probably find a pair for pretty cheap on ebay. In fact, I've got a pair that I've been meaning to post.

Comment

The JCrew Aldens jumped to my mind, too. You should get on the ShoeMart's mailing list for seconds. If I remember correctly, someone on here was able to score a similar pair for ~$300 last year. Still not cheap, obviously, but a pretty significant discount.

Comment

It's interesting because when you google or think of longwings, the first thing that comes up is Alden. From that, I thought you would have been a fan from day one.

Comment

AE mctavish might give you a similar look but more of a standard wingtip. I have black mcallisters and long them. I would be interested in some macneil's in shell. Those Alden's are amazing. If you want them just save up.

Comment

I think maybe the longwing might be an acquired taste. i say this because I never was a fan of the longwing until a couple of weeks ago, and then it just sort of clicked and I was like "LONGWINGS! Must... have... longwings..." For me the chunky clunky aspect is far from a detractor, I need a fairly weighty looking shoe to compliment my build, and I feel like sleeker shoes often look incongruously dainty on my feet, but until recently, that long straight serrated line along the side bugged me, an then it didn't and suddenly I was all about the longwing.

Comment

Those Meermins do get pretty close. Given my antipathy, as you say, I don't think these are something that I'd be wearing enough to justify getting the Alden's new (even discounted). It'd be a more once in a while thing if I'm going for a particular look.

Thanks for the sizing info. I'm a 9 on AE's 5 last (Mora 2.0, Strand) and 9.5 on a brannock so I'm tempted to stick with a 9 here. I'll probably mull over those meermins and keep an eye peeled on ebay and SF in the meantime. Not as much of a fan of the proportions of the Veblens but there are a lot of those on ebay so I might snag one cheap for experiments with bleaching the sole, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post
                  I think maybe the longwing might be an acquired taste. i say this because I never was a fan of the longwing until a couple of weeks ago, and then it just sort of clicked and I was like "LONGWINGS! Must... have... longwings..." For me the chunky clunky aspect is far from a detractor, I need a fairly weighty looking shoe to compliment my build, and I feel like sleeker shoes often look incongruously dainty on my feet, but until recently, that long straight serrated line along the side bugged me, an then it didn't and suddenly I was all about the longwing.
                  I'd agree with this. I was never a big fan of longwings until recently. For me though, it seems correspond to the introduction of the McGregor. I'm a smaller guy (5'6", 145, and a size 8), so the clunky Alden's never really fit the "trim and sleek" aesthetics that tends to work best for me. When the McGregor came out, I picked up a pair, and I've enjoyed them since. It gives me something a little different than a standard wingtip to add some more variety to my wardrobe.

Comment

Matt, I know exactly what you mean. Seems like the ones that appeal to me (at least over the last few days since I had the aha! moment) are intentionally chunky, and thus more casual. As a dress/business shoe I still don't quite get it, which is why most of the longwings out there don't appeal to me.

Comment

The shoes in the above link do look pretty good.

I have a pair of long wing black and white Doc Martens. Whenever I wear the shoes they get tons of comments. Probably has more to do with the style of the shoe than anything else.

My shoe is similar in style to this, but less chunky: http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-dr...-smooth-p_id83

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave;199548
                        My shoe is similar in style to this, but less chunky: [URL="http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-dr-martens-3989-wingtip-black-white-smooth-p_id83"
                        http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-dr-martens-3989-wingtip-black-white-smooth-p_id83[/URL]
                        Holy cow. Those colors. That sole...

Comment

I picked up a pair of Ralph Lauren Sandersons (made by Allen Edmonds) during one of the seconds sales last year for $150. You could also look into the Florsheim Veblen like others have mentioned or even the Florsheim Haviland which has a Dainite like sole.

Comment

I actually like my Veblens quite a bit. I think the quality for <$100 is excellent. Especially for a shoe that I wear one a week. I also have a pair of choc suede longwings that extremely versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by southy View Post
                              Holy cow. Those colors. That sole...
                              I don't know if I could pull those off. But these? I could definitely rock these with a pair of slim, wide-cuffed jeans and an OCBD.

Comment

Working...
                              X