Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timex Weekender - How to Replace Straps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timex Weekender - How to Replace Straps?

This may be a stupid question, but I bought the oft-recommended Timex Weekender as I prepare for a trip to SE Asia where my phone can't serve as my watch.

I like the nubuck band a lot, but bought a sportier casual band that I plan to use on my trip. I can't figure out how to unfasten the current band. The instructions that came with the watch do not go into this. I was googling around and did not see a how-to guide like I would have expected. I did see a mention of a spring tool or some such thing.

How do you replace yours?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtPde-M5Xz0

You can buy a specific spring bar tool, but in my experience it's cheaper and just as easy to pick up a set of flathead jeweler's screwdrivers, which you should be able to get at any hardware store.

Ben

Comment

Ha. I knew it would talke someone about 3 seconds. I don't know why I didn't think to go to Youtube first for a how to video.

Thanks Ben!

Comment

Ah, as I look more closely at it, though, I bought a replacement strap for the slip through band. I'm not sure the two are interchangeable because that strap doesn't have a hole for a spring bar.

Oh well, I do like the nubuck version. Maybe I'll just spring for another one with the slip through strap (they certainly are cheap enough).

Edit: just noted my unintentional pun. I apologize.

Comment

The slip-through straps are interchangeable. The way the band fits is just different. They are "slip-thru" because they just slide between the springbar and the watch case. Like so:

This particular strap is a NATO strap so it has an extra piece to it that the Timex Weekender straps don't have. But it shows you the general idea.

My primary concern about using the Weekender slip-thru straps is that they are 20mm while I think (but I'm not sure) that the nubuck version has 18mm lug width - so the slip-thru strap will be slightly too wide.

The J.Crew nylon straps, on the other hand, are 18mm wide and would probably work. You can also buy all kinds of 18mm straps online.

Ben

Comment

Kind of on the topic, what is the difference between NATO and Zulu?

Comment

A Zulu strap is basically a one-piece slip-through style strap.

The Timex Weekender slip-thru straps are closest to the Zulu in style.

A NATO has two pieces - the strap itself, like an ordinary Zulu, plus an extra second pieces which, as far as I can tell, serves no purpose whatsoever (can you tell I'm a Zulu guy?). Since the strap ends up doubling up, a NATO also tends to be made of slightly thinner nylon than a Zulu.

I guess the general purpose of the NATO's extra strapping is to keep the watch from sliding around. But frankly, I've never had that problem on any nylon strap. I suppose some people probably like the aesthetic of the extra metal rings. From what I can tell, the J.Crew nylon straps are basically NATO-style.

Then there's the "mil-spec" strap, which is basically the same as a Zulu but uses a nylon keeper for the extra band, rather than metal rings, likely due to the simplicity, lightness, and cheapness of the design. True to its name, this style of strap actually makes an appearance on some military-issue watches.

Ben

Comment

If anyone was wondering, I can confirm that the lug width on the Timex Weekender with Nubuck straps is 18 mm, which means the replacement 20 mm bands I bought at Target will not fit it.

Oh well, looks like I'm buying another inexpensive watch. I was thinking about getting one in a light-colored facing anyway.

Comment

Not to thread jack, but the other day my Weekender strap broke and the spring bar went flying, never to be seen again. Where can I pick up a new springbar?

Comment

You can buy them all around the internet. But it would likely be faster and easier to just head to a watch repair shop or jeweler near you.

Ben

Comment

Will the nato straps fit on a Timex Easy Reader?

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T2H281-Reader-Leather-Silver-Tone/dp/B000AYYIYU/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Comment

I'm assuming too small?

Comment

only if you buy 18mm NATO straps. So, not the standard Weekender straps.

Comment

Working...
                          X