Levi's question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Levi's question

Hey fellas. I'm thinking about getting a pair of Levi's 505 in Tumbled Rigid. Besides the fly being different, do the 501 and 505 basically fit the same?

You should try Levi's on in person before buying. Two different pairs of 505s won't even fit the same.

Comment

Yeah I might do that. I have a JC Penney very close to me so I could try them on there. Also, Amazon has free shipping and free returns for their denim.

Comment

Curious - why the 505?

I was considering the 505 because they make a lined version of them, but their sizing is decimated for the year, so I'll have to jump on it next year and just pay retail since I have a popular size that doesn't make it to the end of the year sales.

Comment

Having tried on 505 Levi's at two different Levi's stores in two different cities, as well as at JC Penny's and Macy's, I would concur with Chareth

Comment

Just an update. I went to JC Penney today and tried on the 505's and I'm glad I did. They were a little too tight in the thighs. I then tried on the 559 and they fit pretty good. I ended up getting the 559 in Tumbled Rigid, which is a really nice color.

Comment

--------Thread Hijack----------

I figured I'd see if i could get a response here, since the OP's issue is resolved and I didn't want to create a second, very similar thread.

I have some 514s in 30x30. Once they are stretched out, the leg is a tad bit more narrow than I like (in both the thigh and calf area, though I like the leg opening), but the butt and waist aren't as fitted as I'd like. They, of course, fit like spandex in the store before wear.

I don't think 29x30 is an option for me in the 514s because I have muscular legs. Any other ideas? Any levis with a little bit lower butt/leg ratio that would still be fairly trim fitting? The LEC straight fits from last year fit me better. I dont' know if they reworked the sizing this time around.

Comment

try bonobos straight? seems to me to fit b/t 501 and 514...but def pricier, even with codes.

I've actually got a pair of 501's in to the tailor right now to get the lower legs trimmed down a touch...love the upper part, but the opening feels like a bell-bottom to me. I'll report back on how it goes...though the whole thing could depend mightily on your own particular tailor.

Comment

Good luck in your search Scooter. My problem is my thighs are kind of built up from running, so slim fit jeans and even some straight fit jeans just don't work for me.

Comment

Scooter, I don't think Levi makes a straight leg jean that fits any closer in the hips and thighs than the 514.

You might like the 511. But that's a tapered leg, which may or may not be your cup of tea.

This chart is really helpful - I've been committing it to memory a little bit every day. http://us.levi.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=3146842

Comment

That is my problem as well, runner-guy. I do squats at the gym, and my thigh/calf size has outpaced my glute/waist size. Maybe I'll just try to grow a big butt so jeans fit better. Heh.

I don't mind a slight taper, nicholas, but my calves make most skinny jeans out of the question. I have a 240 pound body builder friend who is envious of my calf definition, actually. I usually do at least as much cardio and yoga as weight lifting, I just build muscle really easily.

Comment

@Scooter, have you tried Gap jeans? People have mixed opinions of them but they may work for you. You may be SOL with Levi's. The last time I tried on a 511 it was like a jegging and I'm not a big thigh/calf kind of guy.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I haven't, greg. I'll give them a shot, though. I hoped to find a perfect fit in Levis because it just feels like a Kansas boy ought to be wearing Levis. I'd rather have better fitting jeans than give in to their successful marketing, though.

Comment

511 TTS is the way to go if you're a slim guy.

Comment

Google seems to think that TTS means true to size. Is that how you are using the abbreviation here? Do you mean buy your true waist size, ignoring industry vanity sizing?

Comment

Working...
                              X