Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What menswear or streetwear item do you not have a use for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What menswear or streetwear item do you not have a use for?

It seems like every season has some must have menswear items like topcoats in the winter or trench coats for the rainy season. In this area you can even throw in suits and ties due to the nature of your job. Similar to this are other items in workwear/streetwear that you have no use for such as work boots or chambray shirts.

My list:
    Trench coat - I am an umbrella guy which is from my car to office building and back
    Top coat - Similar reason as my car is garaged and I just walk into the office with a suit or sport coat with a scarf even today at 10* F
    Work boots - I don't need 1000 mile boots or similar items. I like when items can pull double duty such as Dalton's or some similar dress cap toe boot
    Pocket square - I end up with a poof every time and the only time I like them is in white
    Barbour jacket - I feel I would let the brand down city dwelling in a Barbour though I may plunk down $50 for a waxed cotton hat though...

I am sure there are some other items but this topic came to mind after seeing threads mentioning needing a specific item and I can't help but think, "I would never use that."

I am with you on the work boots. Besides having no need for them, I don't like how big they make my (already big) feet look.

Comment

I'm just not a pocket square guy. And I've never been interested in a PTB either.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
        I am with you on the work boots. Besides having no need for them, I don't like how big they make my (already big) feet look.
        I wholeheartedly agree. As much as I'd like to wear some nice boots, I'm a beanpole, and big boots look ridiculous on me.

Comment

Dress boots, like the Daltons or cheaper JCP options. Love how they look, but just don't have a place in my wardrobe.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
            I wholeheartedly agree. As much as I'd like to wear some nice boots, I'm a beanpole, and big boots look ridiculous on me.
            You should check out Viberg boots! They are crazy expensive, but they look much sleeker than the typical work boot. I'm lusting after a pair, but it will probably be a long time before I can justify the purchase.

Comment

I agree on the work boots.

I really like the look of a pocket square but I haven't entered that arena to date. Mostly I am self-conscious wearing one, so I end up doing so 1-2 per year. It is in my plans to use them more. Regarding work boots, it's a no go.

Comment

I also don't see the point of dress boots.If im getting dressed up I'm opting for a shoe. If I want to wear boots, I want a boot that looks like a boot, not a shoe. Wing tipped dress boots are the main culprits here by far.

Comment

Pocket Squares for sure. I don't wear suits at all and seems weird otherwise. I have a pair of Islays that I guess are work boots? They are definitely not dress boots. I also don't own a trench coat, but I think it would be nice to have one but not necessary. I own the rest of the items on the list though.

Comment

I agree about the pocket squares, I just don't wear them much.

Really any boots for me at this point in my life. I moved to Florida almost 2 years ago and the ones that I have from when I moved hardly ever get worn. I do hope to move north at some point so then I may need them again, but at this point, it's boat shoes in the summer and moc-toe bluchers in the "winter".

Comment

As a college student, i find that a topcoat sans suit/tie/dress shirt kinda looks drab. Peacoats FTW. Conversely Wolverines work wonders in Maine. That being said, in a few years, my wardrobe might just completely flip depending on my location/job.
                      Size Guide: 38R Suiting, 29" waist, 30" inseam, 37" chest, 32" sleeve, 15.5" neck

Comment

I live in my suits, odd sport coats, odds wool trousers, ties, PS, PAs, Strands. You do the math.

Comment

Double-breasted outerwear (peacoats or trenches) - just never really got into these. I like the idea of them but I never feel comfortable when I try them on. I've bought and returned a few, some of which were just ok, some of which looked pretty badass. I guess I just don't like that much excess material doubled up in the front or something. Feels almost straitjacket-y.

Colorful socks. Just can't do it. To me, overly colorful socks can start to look a bit childish. I prefer wool in basic colors.

Pocket squares. The only pocket square I can do is a basic white in a square fold.

French cuffs + cuff links. It's almost impossible to fit an average-sized watch under a French cuff. Plus I prefer to wear my shirts with the sleeves rolled up unless I happen to be wearing a jacket.

Blue formalwear. I love the idea of a midnight blue tux as much as the next James Bond wannabe, but realistically a black tux is the only one I'd ever need or have any use for.

Lightweight v-neck sweaters. I just find these icky and unflattering. Give me a nice, chunky, crewneck, lambswool sweater any day.
                          Ben

Comment

I really can't think of anything. Wellies perhaps?

Some items, like work boots, get very little wear, but pretty much most things mentioned here (pocket squares, double breasted jackets, cuff links) get plenty of wear at the right occasions.

Comment

Yeah, wrong question. I have use for everything; I don't have closet space for everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X