Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What menswear or streetwear item do you not have a use for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I please get johnmann's opinions about the new iPhone and final season of Dexter?

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
      Can I please get johnmann's opinions about the new iPhone and final season of Dexter?
      Sure thing. Unless you're tied down to the Apple ecosystem, there's really no reason to get an iPhone over a Samsung Galaxy. The final season of Dexter was the usual high quality except that ridiculous last scene. Maybe that's where I get my hated of lumberjacks. It features another item I was actually thinking about including on my list of items I have no use for: shirt pocket flaps.
      Last edited by johnmann; January 14, 2015, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalton View Post
        Always great to end the day with a good laugh - thanks for that, Angus!
        Haha, I'm just glad something positive came from last night's bout of insomnia.

Comment

Trying to keep focused on more traditional/basic items.

1. Anything corduroy, just never have liked the material. I have a pair corduroys pants and a corduroy blazer, and they both rarely get worn.
          2. Double-beasted topcoats/trenchcoats. Double-beasted peatcoats and blazers are fine, but I feel Double-beasted topcoats just don't hang well on my body.
          3. Monkstraps. They seem to be a love them or hate them type of item. I'm on hate the side.
          4. Boat shoes. I just prefer either sneakers or loafers
          5. Like many have said, French Cuff shirts. More trouble then they are worth. Double barrelled are close enough with less hassle.

I find that within my personal style, certain items go it and out of style. 2 years ago, I had no polos and hated them, now I own 3 and wear them fairly often during the summer. I wore cardigans non-stop over Fall/Winter 2012 and 2013, but this year I have been wearing sweater jackets and my cardigans have gone virutally unworn. I used to wear purple shirts quite a bit, now I my non-neutral color of choice is green.

Comment

Originally posted by johnmann View Post
            Watch complications. Having to adjust the date every month kind of defeats the purpose.
            Obviously that's why you have to go with a perpetual calendar. Easy-peasy.

Comment

Originally posted by somaticmarker1 View Post
              I used to wear purple shirts quite a bit, now I my non-neutral color of choice is green.
              That's interesting. I've been undergoing a bit of an evolution in the opposite direction. And purple is another thing that I once swore off. I really thought it had no place in my wardrobe at all. But then I got a beautiful purple grenadine tie (from Chipp, which I can't recommend highly enough) and started seeing how great it looked with my navy suit...and my charcoal suit...and my brown tweed suit...

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                That's interesting. I've been undergoing a bit of an evolution in the opposite direction. And purple is another thing that I once swore off. I really thought it had no place in my wardrobe at all. But then I got a beautiful purple grenadine tie (from Chipp, which I can't recommend highly enough) and started seeing how great it looked with my navy suit...and my charcoal suit...and my brown tweed suit...
                Same boat for me. Never thought I would wear purple. Then I picked up a t-shirt in a dark purple and really liked it, which led to a dark purple tie, which led to a lighter purple tie with white stripes, which led to a purple gingham shirt. Purple ties are surprisingly versatile, with the bonus of not matching a suit like a navy tie does.

Comment

I have a purple pindot tie that gets more wear than almost any of my other ties.

Comment

Count me in for purple. 4 dress shirts, 1 casual button down, 1 tie (wearing it now...came in handy for an interview for a place whose dominant color is purple), and 2 pairs of chinos, one for winter and one lightweight for summer which has yet to be warn. Get compliments on the heavier pair all the time (from Bonobos).
                    Last edited by tjyoung; January 14, 2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                      Shomas,
                      Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading about your openness to change and willingness to re-think earlier positions. You really have a great attitude and sets a good example of how to think about clothing and style. Thank you for that.
                      Matt Dalton

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalton View Post
                        Shomas,
                        Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading about your openness to change and willingness to re-think earlier positions. You really have a great attitude and sets a good example of how to think about clothing and style. Thank you for that.
                        Thanks! Here's to hoping my hard-won (relative) open mindedness can save someone else the trouble of eating crow by wearing something they had fairly recently (and fairly vehemently) sworn off.

Also, re. purple ties, I took a suit into Mid City Tailoring yesterday for some alterations. The shop's proprietor is Paul Winston, the man behind Chipp Neckwear, from which I got my purple grenadine. Every time I go in there, he tries to sell me on his ties (I'm not in enough that he would necessarily recognize me as having bought them before). This time, I let him know that I was quite familiar with his ties and had only recently been talking up the purple one that I bought a few months ago. In response, he told me that when he first started selling grenadines, he did them in a bunch of colors but only expected the navy and burgundy to sell in any significant numbers. To his immense surprise, purple turned out to be just about as popular as the navy and burgundy and has consistently been one of his best sellers since. There's no real point to this story, I suppose, other than to point out that purple is indeed a well-regarded color and a lot of men are happy to incorporate it, and to note that not paying it much attention is apparently a vice that's not just confined to us hoi polloi, but something that even people who make their livings in menswear can fall into.

Comment

Originally posted by johnmann View Post
                          Elbow patches. I don't understand why this is a thing.
                          On jackets, they help the elbows last longer. I'll agree they don't really serve much purpose on anything else, but I do like a contrasting texture on some thick sweaters (don't own any, but I like the look).

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                            On jackets, they help the elbows last longer. I'll agree they don't really serve much purpose on anything else, but I do like a contrasting texture on some thick sweaters (don't own any, but I like the look).
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAcH8IQSaGI

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                              On my alpaca cardigan I'm happy I have elbow patches to save the wool.

Comment

I never was a big colored denim guy. Grey, brown, black, different shades of blue etc. Then I found Gustin and went wild....it was my denim rumspringa and I never returned to just dark indigo.

Also I swore I would never wear "slim" pants or shirts because they were feminine( circa 2011) then I moved to a more fitted wardrobe.

Styles change. Life circumstances change as well. Right now I don't need dressy clothing besides a suit, few ties, few shirts. But in a few years I will.

Comment

Working...
                                X