Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Balamoral vs Blucher Fit on the same Last...different fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balamoral vs Blucher Fit on the same Last...different fit?

Anyone else here fit differently in shoes on the same last but in balamoral vs blucher? I wear a 9E in the 5 last for Allen Edmonds which fits great in a balamoral like the strand, but a 5 last in a blucher like the allen edmonds kenilworth has a lot more space between the back of the shoe and my heel. I can compensate by tightening the laces on the bluchers more, but was wondering if anyone else notices this. Debating whether to return the Kenilworths or not due to this issue.

At the store, the employee said that folks put too much stock in lasts. He says that despite being the same lasts, you really have to take each style on its own and find the size and width that works for you. Disappointing to hear because it would be nice to find the right size and last and order happily ever after.

Comment

I have owned quite a number of shoes on the 5 last over the years, and the short answer is yes.

I own the Kenilworth myself. Lengthwise it is similar to the bals, but on me, toe box room and width are definitely greater on the Kenilworth, so much so that I'd say a labeled D width on the Kenilworth is around the same as an E width on the bals. But it's not even just a last or style variation, there absolutely is shoe to shoe variation within the same style.

It's not just an AE thing. I've noticed this exact same issue with other brands at similar price points. Lasts are more like general guidelines than exact dimensions.

Comment

+1 on nicholascrawford's post.

I spoke with Nate at the AE Shoe Bank and he said the lasts don't matter as much compared to the shoe construction, sole type, leather type, etc. In other words, what everyone else said above is true. Seems like a lot of people put too much stock in the last.

Comment

Working...
        X