Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banana Republic Store vs Factory Outlet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runner-guy
    replied

I've purchased a few shirts from J Crew Factory online and I'm pretty satisfied with their quality.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

I didn't even realize they bothered with making a Gap Factory line. Seems almost pointless with how affordable Gap is. Isn't this practice going to step on Old Navy's toes? Old Navy is known to be very cheap in the first place, and often clunky fits and overly casual American Dad clothes. If Gap offers their designs for not much more than Old Navy, especially with sales, I feel like I would never go to Old Navy again. Their stores give me a headache from all the synthetic fumes in there.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

I like my coat just the way it is. It fits nicely over a suit. I'll eventually have the sleeves shortened, but it's otherwise good to go.

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

Dunno about the BR vs BR factory, but I find that GAP vs GAP factory in the outlet's favor. The prices at GAP factory are much cheaper and the quality is the same (partly cause GAP quality isn't that high to begin with).

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

I think J. Crew is kind of the gold standard for brands you won't find in department stores. I have had good experiences with both J. Crew and J. Crew Factory. Good with Banana Republic, too, but it takes more hunting to find the good-looking stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Glock13
    replied

Everything CJJ said. J Crew and J Crew Outlet are head and shoulders above both Banana and Banana Factory. It hurts me to say this as I worked at Banana for 5+ years. Now I won't step into the BR Outlet and rarely go into BR. J Crew on the other hand has made huge strides in the last 4-5 years.

Leave a comment:

• ag101
    replied

CJJ... I hear that.

Unfortunately I'm in the awkward spot where I'm in between sizes for most shirts & sweaters. Medium is a bit too baggy for me, while small is a bit too tight in the shoulders, so I usually have to try it on to see how it fits and if it's tapered properly around the stomach. For jeans, I have had no problem going 32x30, but my somewhat short height (5'8) makes me lean towards more slimmer fitting pants.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

@Alan, fair enough. You're off the hook... This time. That's what your tailor is for man!

Leave a comment:

• CJJ
    replied

@ AG101, Ebay my brother Ebay. What size are you, shirts, pants, etc..?

Leave a comment:

• ag101
    replied

CJJ, unfortunately I live in Canada, so there are no J. Crew stores at ALL here.. I'm a bit apprehensive about buying online as it costs quite a bit to ship back, and J. Crew is already fairly expensive.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

@greg: Mine is already a little loose on me. When I start unbuttoning it, it gets even looser. I have other jackets that I wear the way you're describing, though.

Leave a comment:

• CJJ
    replied

Do you have a J Crew Outlet store, there stuff seems to be pretty consistent with regular store quality and offerings.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

@ Alan, FWIW, I have a similarly styled coat. I find it looks a lot better with the top and bottom buttons undone except when it is really cold.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

FWIW, not all cotton is created equal, and the weave is also important.

One thing I did find there that I really like is my grey coat. It's a wool/synthetic blend, but you would never know by looking, and it was very affordable. I'd NEVER buy a blended suit or sportcoat, though.

Leave a comment:

• ag101
    replied

Wow, that's really unfortunate..

I now live about 45 minutes drive from my closes BR store, but only about 10 mins from an outlet store.

I'm curious as to whether there's anything good that can still be found at the outlet stores. Walked in to an outlet store yesterday (to date I've shopped only at the retail stores) and they had 100% extra fine merino sweaters, lambswool, etc..

But what threw me off and made me ask the question was the sheer amount of 100% cotton clothes that I found and the ridiculously cheap prices..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X