Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banana Republic Store vs Factory Outlet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banana Republic Store vs Factory Outlet?

Hey guys, anyone here have experience shopping at both Banana Republic stores and factory outlet? I've heard that the clothes vary in style, but I was wondering what the difference is quality-wise and if there is any marked difference.

Hopefully someone is able to share some insight..

I have both a regular BR store and BR factory store 10 minutes from my house (dangerous). Up until a few years ago I used to frequent the BR factory store. That changed when they stopped (for the most part) selling the excess inventory or last season's design in favor of clothes that were specifically designed for the outlet. I have found that the quality is lacking in both cut and cloth. You can find some good deals on staples underwear, t-shirts, and they will on occasion have regular BR store merchandise.

I like going to the regular BR store and hitting the sales rack, they usually run an extra 30 - 40 percent off sale at least a couple times a month.

Thats my two-cents worth.

Comment

I agree with everything CJJ said. Ill step inside the BR outlet on occassion, but its not a destination for me anymore.

Comment

I also get the impression that items at the BR factory store are lesser quality than at the retail store. I bought a non-iron slim fit shirt at a factory store a few months ago and I'm really disappointed at the quality after only a few washes.

Comment

Yeah, the outlet clothes are markedly inferior. Instead of 100% wool pants you get like 30% wool, 70% synthetic and they feel it. Everything there is much much more cheaply made. It's actually the biggest dropoff in regular quality vs. outlet quality I've found.

Comment

Wow, that's really unfortunate..

I now live about 45 minutes drive from my closes BR store, but only about 10 mins from an outlet store.

I'm curious as to whether there's anything good that can still be found at the outlet stores. Walked in to an outlet store yesterday (to date I've shopped only at the retail stores) and they had 100% extra fine merino sweaters, lambswool, etc..

But what threw me off and made me ask the question was the sheer amount of 100% cotton clothes that I found and the ridiculously cheap prices..

Comment

FWIW, not all cotton is created equal, and the weave is also important.

One thing I did find there that I really like is my grey coat. It's a wool/synthetic blend, but you would never know by looking, and it was very affordable. I'd NEVER buy a blended suit or sportcoat, though.

Comment

@ Alan, FWIW, I have a similarly styled coat. I find it looks a lot better with the top and bottom buttons undone except when it is really cold.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Do you have a J Crew Outlet store, there stuff seems to be pretty consistent with regular store quality and offerings.

Comment

@greg: Mine is already a little loose on me. When I start unbuttoning it, it gets even looser. I have other jackets that I wear the way you're describing, though.

Comment

CJJ, unfortunately I live in Canada, so there are no J. Crew stores at ALL here.. I'm a bit apprehensive about buying online as it costs quite a bit to ship back, and J. Crew is already fairly expensive.

Comment

@ AG101, Ebay my brother Ebay. What size are you, shirts, pants, etc..?

Comment

@Alan, fair enough. You're off the hook... This time. That's what your tailor is for man!

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

CJJ... I hear that.

Unfortunately I'm in the awkward spot where I'm in between sizes for most shirts & sweaters. Medium is a bit too baggy for me, while small is a bit too tight in the shoulders, so I usually have to try it on to see how it fits and if it's tapered properly around the stomach. For jeans, I have had no problem going 32x30, but my somewhat short height (5'8) makes me lean towards more slimmer fitting pants.

Comment

Everything CJJ said. J Crew and J Crew Outlet are head and shoulders above both Banana and Banana Factory. It hurts me to say this as I worked at Banana for 5+ years. Now I won't step into the BR Outlet and rarely go into BR. J Crew on the other hand has made huge strides in the last 4-5 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X