No announcement yet.

Jan 1st 2015 P90X/Survivor No Spend Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I lose the challenge if I renew my Amazon Prime membership (set to expire in February)?
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      Do I lose the challenge if I renew my Amazon Prime membership (set to expire in February)?
      Nope.

Comment

So, I realized I need to buy some long-sleeve running gear. It's too cold to run in short sleeves in the morning and I don't own a hoody or anything.

I'm gonna buy one of these, or another if I can find a half-zip in navy somewhere.
        https://www.coryvines.com/en/product...lf-zip-pacific
        http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champi...lot=medium_1_2

I'll let you decide if this eliminates me. Keep in mind, I HATE running and won't get any joy out of this purchase. (Other than hopefully losing weight and feeling better in the long run.)

Comment

I think running clothing is fine that's a necessity. Just like if you had a new job and needed a suit for work for the first time. Or you suddenly need ties due to a dress code change etc.

I am thinking of this as nonessential clothing/style purchases. If you suddenly are sent to the North Pole for field astronomy you will need a Canada goose parka.

Comment

I've got a work event coming up in mid Feb. that I have to wear black pants to, kind of a uniform thing, and I own nothing in black, so looks like I'll be buying some black chino's soon that I'll never wear again.

I'm pretty sure that's a non-disqualifier right?

Comment

Okay, so if you NEED to buy something for a legitimate reason, it doesn't count (as long as you don't go overboard). This challenge is only for clothing or style items which you'd buy because you just want it or it's on sale.

Comment

I think you have to careful about the word "need" - it must be "need" as in, "I am required by my job and could suffer consequences if I don't have this article of clothing". Not "need" as in "this OCBD is looking a little ratty so I need a new one."

Comment

Yeah, you guys are coming up with too many loopholes, justifications, rationalizing, etc. This isn't anything like the first challenge with all of these exceptions. You can run in sweats or an old shirt. If you've gotten by fine for 25 years or whatever, not sure why you would now suddenly need black pants, hoody, etc.

Basically if it's a clothing related purchase for yourself - you're out. That's the way it should be. So if it was up to me, JustinT and Dackman would be out. I'm not running it this time though so it's not up to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                    Yeah, you guys are coming up with too many loopholes, justifications, rationalizing, etc. This isn't anything like the first challenge with all of these exceptions. You can run in sweats or an old shirt. If you've gotten by fine for 25 years or whatever, not sure why you would now suddenly need black pants, hoody, etc.

Basically if it's a clothing related purchase for yourself - you're out. That's the way it should be. So if it was up to me, JustinT and Dackman would be out. I'm not running it this time though so it's not up to me.
                    Yeah, I would agree with you. This isn't much of a challenge if you can find loopholes. I know there are certain requirements, but man these aren't anything like the first challenges that I've seen on here either.

All of this clothing money saved is being allocated to much more efficient uses lately. It's been nice.

Comment

• P.S. I can't believe that 1.) Someone could not own a hoodie, sweatshirt, or some other kind of long-sleeved athletic top, or 2.) They could make it to January without wearing long sleeves to run. I've been in full winter running regalia - tights and all - for the past 2 months.
                      Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        P.S. I can't believe that 1.) Someone could not own a hoodie, sweatshirt, or some other kind of long-sleeved athletic top, or 2.) They could make it to January without wearing long sleeves to run. I've been in full winter running regalia - tights and all - for the past 2 months.
                        Yeah... I have just been going to our local gym to exercise and it's been better than running when wind chills have dipped close to negative 30.

Comment

• Originally posted by ninpb View Post
                          I apologize if I missed you sbca. Adding you to the list now. I assume you were too hungover to do shopping on the 1st?

Anybody else that's not on the list that should be?

[MENTION=8245]ninpb[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=11274]3piece[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=9879]Brent k[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=3767]wsupjs[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=12319]Wahoo1997[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=11797]devastitis[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=2721]akosmowski[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=12296]firemunkee[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=12707]DapperTexan[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=2962]justin t[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=12746]ronrob[/MENTION] two dress shirts
                          [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=13104]tjyoung[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=6587]andrewlcraft[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=6917]dackman[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=4193]sabrown[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=9168]Vanquish[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=2980]Jackbauer[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=13032]jayashae[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=11948]theskillets[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=11567]TKNumber3[/MENTION]
                          [MENTION=12553]sbca[/MENTION]
                          ...I'm out. I'm out of the contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwH__x6jV6A

On the positive side, I did my budget for the upcoming year over the last few days, so spending generally has been reigned in and redirected. Plus I get to be first loser!
                          Last edited by ronrob; January 11, 2015, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• As for loopholes, on one hand I agree that people need to be careful of finding ways of cheating the contest but on the other hand this is just a self policed, friendly challenge to get us to save money. If you want to cheat or justify in crazy ways that is up to you, there is no money at the end of it.
                            [MENTION=12746]ronrob[/MENTION] what did it in for you?

Comment

• [MENTION=12746]ronrob[/MENTION] please reply with the full list and put the date and item you purchased next to your name. Everybody else copy the latest list if you go out and do the same. I think it will be easier to track the status of the challenge this way and it will look good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post

I hope you're not saying that because I started this thread that I am the judge. I just wanted to make sure that a challenge did kick off for the new year so that I can get myself on it.

I mentioned before that its whatever breaks the challenge for yourself since this is an honor code thing and there is no prize. I suggest you be really honest and hard with yourself so you get the most out if this.

Having said that I think it would be fun if you really have to ask here and you get at least 3 yes votes that its a purchase then you are out. Everybody game? Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X