Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First suit

Hello,

I've been reading here for a while and was hoping for some advice on my first suit purchase.

I'm looking at the J. Crew Factory Thompson.

For a first suit would this be an appropriate choice? I like the looks of both the navy and charcoal, but I do already have a grey/greenish/brown sport coat. Would probably lean towards the navy so it would be more appropriate for a job interview and the like. Is the color too blue for something like this?

I am 6ft0in tall, 38in waist, 44in chest, 200lbs.

Thanks

There's a nice article written here about the worsted suit:
    http://dappered.com/2012/07/in-perso...ted-wool-suit/

Hello hello! welcome!

I think navy is the more popular color these days. Charcoal is pretty close, and imo more appropriate for more events, but I think the navy looks more sleek and either will be fine for your interview. I was at the JCrew factory outlet yesterday and felt the material of the thompson worsted suit for the first time. I can say that the navy color looks fantastic, not too dark but definitely dark enough to be appropriate for more serious events. The feel is decent, although the ludlow feels better.

If you have the opportunity to go try it on in person definitely do, although I believe today they have a 50% off sale dropping the jacket + pants to $218.

Good luck at your interview!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasMethod View Post
      Hello,

I've been reading here for a while and was hoping for some advice on my first suit purchase.

I'm looking at the J. Crew Factory Thompson.

For a first suit would this be an appropriate choice? I like the looks of both the navy and charcoal, but I do already have a grey/greenish/brown sport coat. Would probably lean towards the navy so it would be more appropriate for a job interview and the like. Is the color too blue for something like this?

I am 6ft0in tall, 38in waist, 44in chest, 200lbs.

Thanks
      Yes, it is a great first suit choice appropriate for any situation. Go read Joe's review on it.

Comment

Lots of info on this site about JC suits. If it's your first suit, I'd definitely lean heavily toward navy. Most versatile.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I did read the info previously, but I am pretty new to caring about my clothes. So I didn't know if the styling was odd or anything, to make it not appropriate for a professional setting.

I pulled the trigger and got the suit in navy. With free shipping and under $250, I think it's worth a shot for sure. Like I said, I'm pretty new to the style game so I didn't want to just spend $500-1000 on my first purchase especially online. I am the type to research, try and find a good deal or value, and then build from there. I'll increase my budgets for the next items as I learn more.

I'll let you guys know how it works out when I get my suit.

Next up, finding a pair of shoes to go with it....

Comment

nice!

with a navy suit both black and brown shoes are acceptable. I tend to prefer a shoe in this shade:
            http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...OL._UY395_.jpg

I would just walk to your local DSW/Nordstrom Rack to find a pair on clearance because dress shoes vary in sizes depending on the brand.

Comment

Ok so my suit came in, and I think it is a bit big. It fits better than my other jacket, but the shoulder pads do hit the wall right before my shoulder does in the wall test. 1/4 inch or less. Just to be clear, in the shoulder to wall test I am supposed to lean towards the wall slightly correct?

For the thompson suit, are these armholes considered to be cut high? I still get some movement in the jacket when I straighten my arms out.

Overall I think I would be happy with this suit if I could get it to fit me well. The material is pretty nice, and I like the suit and button colors. I ordered a 44 R, will a 42 R have a significant enough reduction in shoulder width to make it fit? I think I will be pushing the limit for chest size at 42R because when I measure my chest I get 44 inches.

Comments or advice?

http://www.amazon.com/Cole-Haan-Leno...=1418260697393
              I also purchased these oxfords in "british tan" because the same "line" chelsea boot was on a recent dappered list for being decent and because they were $91.00 shipped. I wanted the boot but the 30% off code didn't work on them. They are slightly too big in the heel and slip slightly, are these shoes worth it at $90? I can re-order a half size down right now for the same price.

I also have the option to get the Lennox Hill Chelsea boot for $128 shipped as well. I do want to find an oxford though, but a chelsea boot is about equal on my list of wants.

Thanks.

Comment

Its hard to say without fit pictures of the suit, but a 42 would have narrower shoulders. The shoulder seam should end just past your natural shoulder. You also need to take into account the amount of padding and the shape of the shoulder in terms of fit.

Comment

The 42 will fit better in the shoulders but you are likely to be snug in the chest. That is something that a tailor can likely fix,although I don't know how much extra material these jackets have.

Also, I prefer black shoes with navy suits for day business, and burgundy or dark brown for less formal events.

Comment

Ok took some pics. I didn't know I was supposed to leave the bottom button unbuttoned. =-/

Comment

I read at least one place that these jackets do have 1-2 inches of room to let out in the chest. I plan on visiting a brick and mortar location to try out a smaller size.

Comment

Sorry about the huge size. Never really posted pics before.

Comment

Anyone have any comments on the fit? To me it looks too big, but I don't know in which ways really. Sleeves and shoulders, but the length is good I think.

Comment

Shoulders look kind of big, exchange for 1 size down.

Once you have exchange for a size smaller, i would have a tailor taken in the waist, shorten the sleeves, dart the back, hem the pant with little or no break as all. And change the shoes to an oxford type and not the square toes one you have in the picture. BTW, what color is the suit? Navy?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

The suit is navy, with brown buttons.
                              Sorry about the shoes , I don't plan on wearing them with the suit, I just threw them on to take the pictures. Today I learned this type of shoe is much hated by the style community. I have a pair of chelsea boots that will be here on friday.

I will also try a different pant 1 size shorter and see if that will just fix the issue on its own. A slim version is also available but I am in the process of rebuilding my leg musculature after a long lifting layoff, and I used to have issues with the thighs fitting in pants so I will probably stick to the standard cut.

Any opinions on the optional vest to the thompson suit? It is available for around $50. Are vests tailorable?

Comment

Working...
                              X