Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big_Scooter
    replied

For me, the brass/gold buttons take the traditional look a little too far. I thrifted one with shiny gold colored buttons and had my alterations lady replace them with brown plastic ones.

Leave a comment:

• Ounce
    replied

Just an update on this, I got my J Crew Ludlow Blazer via UPS today. Very pleased with my choice. I already have the Tailored Banana Republic Black Suit so I can do a pretty decent side by side comparison with my alternative. The quality of the wool in the Ludlow is definitely a step above. I think it should hold up pretty well for a long time.

Surprisingly enough, the OTR cut of the Tailored BR Jacket actually conforms more to my mid-body/waist than the Ludlow by a smidgin but that will easily be remedied by my tailor shortly with a little waist suppression. Perhaps the BR cut doesn't expand as much with the upper end of the shoulder sizes as the Ludlow (I'm a 44L)

Leave a comment:

• BrownCow
    replied

Well I've heard the Thompson from their factory is similar to the Ludlow fit - correct me if I'm wrong though - so maybe check that one out as well and save a lot of money? I'm thinking of going that route myself now.

And Alan, what I probably should have said "smart casual" instead of semi-formal. I'm looking for something I can throw over a button down and either jeans or khakis for when I meet with professors.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied

I have a blazer with brass buttons that are not shiny that I really like. Still a traditional blazer in all respects, but not as in your face.

Leave a comment:

• Deke
    replied

@Alan

Haha, I think that's the goal.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

I have a hard time calling a blazer a blazer if it doesn't have brass buttons. But you can always just settle it by having with and one without. :-)

Leave a comment:

• jicarv
    replied

@Deke, I don't like brass buttons.

Leave a comment:

• Deke
    replied

What is everyone's take on brass buttons? IMHO they look good, but only if the blazer is paired with slacks. I think I'd feel weird if I wore them with jeans. Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• drew2
    replied

@Ounce, I've got the Banana Republic two-button grey cotton blazer in 36S and 38S. Granted the material is different but I don't like the OTR sizing in either. The 36S feels a little tight in the shoulders and back, the 38S a little too loose. I was at a local BR and tried on a 38S in their tailored line in 100% wool and felt like it fit like the cotton version.

I also hit up a local J. Crew store and tried on the Ludlow center-vent jacket version of the one you posted in 36S: http://bit.ly/xU2976

The quality and fit was nicer as Juan mentioned. Only the sleeves need to be shortened a little for me.

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied

@Tony - I might be interested in that BB blazer.

A few questions on it:

- 2 button?

- notch lapel?

- which fit is it? (fitzgerald, milano, etc)... i'm looking for something slim fitting

If it's a more modern slim cut I might ask you to pick it up for me!

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

If you're thinking of getting a navy blazer, I think starting with an inexpensive or thrifted item will help you narrow down what you like. If you enjoy wearing it and just wish you had an even nicer one, splurge for $200-300 on a Ludlow blazer. But to start with a Ludlow, especially if you haven't even established that you like seeing yourself in a blazer, seems costly.

Leave a comment:

• jicarv
    replied

@Ounce, The JCrew one is nicer and better quality/fit.

Leave a comment:

• ninja138
    replied

What's your size? I came across a 38R BB navy blazer a couple of days ago for $10 at a thrift.

Leave a comment:

• Ounce
    replied

I'm also looking for something currently. I like the Banana Republic Tailored Jacket already mentioned a fair bit. They have a 30% off deal going too right now which makes it even better. I originally ordered their Navy Blazer which was a wool/linen blend but I didn't like the fabric as it seemed like it wouldn't hold up too well over time (already seemed to be shedding a bit, small threads coming off in a few spots).

What do you guys think of this: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~42324/42324.jsp

Definitely a bit pricier but I really like the Ludlow look and I'm pretty positive the fabric quality is better than the Banana alternative just based on what I've read about J Crew's suiting recently. Worth it?

Just to be clear, I like the more modern style with clean look, aka no gold buttons. I'm a 44L for sizing purposes.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

@BrownCow: Between the two, definitely the J Crew. However, they're both cotton. So while they may be classy, I wouldn't call either of them semi-formal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X