Allen Edmonds McTavish Sizing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Edmonds McTavish Sizing???

Those of you who own the McTavish, do you find the sizing to be *wildly* off the mark? I've worn a size 10 in nearly everything for my entire adult life, occasionally having to size down to a 9.5 in certain pairs of boots.

I originally had the McTavish in a 10, which were too big. Today, I received a 9.5 in the mail, and my heels are still slipping out of them when I walk. Additionally, the width is borderline. I imagine the size 9 would sit too tight. Needless to say, kind of frustrating experience from such a high end shoe maker.

Well they do make various widths for each size so it's highly likely that there's some combination that fits. It's just a matter of finding it. Did you buy the shoes new or used? I'm assuming they're new since you got a different size. Is there no local AE shop where you can get sized up and try on a shoe in the same last?

Comment

There's probably one in Manhattan, which is about an hour drive, plus the nightmare of finding parking, plus tolls, etc.

I have those padded heel sticker "thingers" for lack of better term from the size 10's that I installed in the 9.5s and my heels stay put. What bothers me is the fact that a $300 shoe is so far off with its sizing.

Comment

Well I'd be lying if I said that it was a sure bet that you'll find something that works. I've been in an AE store before and seen a guy walk out without finding a pair that fit after trying on several permutations.

Comment

I appreciate the input. I wouldn't be surprised if I can't find a proper fit as they're built kinda like clown shoes (long and thin with too much room in the toe).

I really expected more out of AE. Very disappointed.

Comment

My MacNeil's are like that, feel at least a half size too big. I thought AE was good about being true to size, but I guess not with this one. I think if I use an insole or tongue pad they'll be fine, but even still that doesn't beat a pair of shoes that just fits.

Comment

The shoe is on their #5 last, which people seem to think run 1/2 size long and on the thinner side.

Comment

Frost, I have a pair (I'm wearing them right now) and they fit perfectly. Allen Edmonds are built on lasts: shapes that are meant for specific type of a type of foot. It's possible that the 5 last is not a good fit for your foot.

Comment

@Bruschetta: How much space do you have in the front before you can feel your toes?

Comment

Sorry for another follow up here guys. Is anyone wearing the McTavish in a full size less than their normal size?

I encountered a few issues with the pair I was sent, and Edward from the Portland, Maine AE outlet agreed to swap them out for me. That guy seriously rocks. Great customer service.

My .5 size down is still big, and my heel slips out of the shoe, yet the MacNeils I just purchased fit in my normal shoe size. AE sizing is strangely erratic, so again, anyone go a full size down in the McTavish?

Comment

Have you tried playing around with the width? a 9E might work out for you if a 9.5D is heel slip but tight width. a 9E has more width and a 9.5D.

Comment

That's not a bad idea.. have you encountered a situation with AE where that ended up working? I don't really understand how they could ever determine the 5 last was representative of a large portion of the population...

Comment

@frost - For a lot of people, the general rule to fit the 5 last if you have a standard "d" foot was to go down half a size and up a width. So a person who wears 9.5D would order a 9E Strand. However, if you look on reviews for the McTavish lots of people have commented that it's a little bigger that the 5 last they are use to on the strand/mcAllister.

The 5 last has a lot of AE's most classic and desired shapes also because it's their longest and narrowest last which is the most aesthetically pleasing to the eye, so it's not always about fit.

Comment

Just to be clear, my normal size is a 10 "D" in every other brand of shoes. The Strand in a 9.5 fits OK, but the McTavish in a 9.5 still feels too big. I've been given a song and dance about the double oak sole, but the shoe literally slides off my heel when I walk, and I have heel pads in there from the shoe repair shop that is supposed to prevent that from happening. I can run your recommendation by Edward from Portland and see what he says.. go down to a 9E right?

Comment

Working...
                            X