Question on AE Dalton Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on AE Dalton Fit

There's a pair of factory second Daltons I'm interested in purchasing, but I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger as I'm still unsure of the fit.

When I went on to try the Daltons at my local store a few weeks ago, they only had an 8D for me to try. For reference, my brannock measures just a hair over 8 E. The 8 D fit pretty nice except around the ball of my foot, which felt a little tight. It wasn't painful, but I could definitely feel some pressure. I left the store noting that an 8 E would probably be best (TTS, basically), if the time ever came to purchase some Daltons.

Now, the shoebank site has the Daltons that I covet, except in an 8.5 D. Would it be okay if I sized up a half but went down a width for the Daltons, especially if I was planning on wearing thicker wool socks with these? I've read around the Internet that some people actually did this for their Daltons, but I wanted to get a consensus here before I do anything.

First, I'm bored, so I actually took a little time to take a look into this question...but if you check this measuring chart from AE, you can see that there's no overlap between the D and E width's until you get until you get around size 10.

My Daltons are size 8D and are TTS, and I wear them with dress socks, and at most medium weight boot socks, but nothing like thick wool. Assuming you're true to size at an 8E, they'll probably still be a bit tight, even wearing thinner socks. The difference between widths, is what? Like almost 1/4 an inch? That's a lot.

This just speculation of course. Maybe it works for some people. But if it were me? I'd wait to drop nearly $300 of scratch on a pair that I know is going to fit me. But that's just me. I might be more inclined to buy a slightly too large pair where I could get away with wearing thicker socks, but certainly not one's that are too small.
    Last edited by Matchbook; November 19, 2014, 02:29 PM.

Comment

My Daltons are a half size bigger than I normally wear. The solution? Bought an insole. Fits like a dream. Wouldn't have bought them, but I saw them for $140 at Nordstrom Rack (obviously 2nds) and didn't have a choice but to pull the trigger.

Comment

Working...
      X