shoe trees - better to size up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shoe trees - better to size up or down?

So I have a dilemma. I went to Nordstrom Rack the other day to buy some shoe trees. But I noticed that the sizing is S M L XL, and the small is X-7.5 and the medium is 8-Y. This puts me in an awkward position because my shoe size falls between a 7.5 and an 8 and as a result I own shoes in both sizes.

This is a familiar dilemma for me, as I wear a 31 in pants and often smalls are 28-30 and mediums are 32-34. And I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be wearing the same pants as someone with a 28 waist OR a 34 waist.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there's anyone who knows for a fact whether it would be better to have shoe trees a touch too big or a touch too small. For what it's worth, none of my shoes are too tight so I'm not looking to be able to stretch them. And the Nordstrom Rack ones do have the expandable heads.

Ben

This is one of those YMMV type of topics, but I tend to stray to the "size up" side, unless it means that the shoe tree won't fit.

I haven't noticed my shoes stretching, for those that have a snug fit with the tree. However, I have noticed that creasing ends up being definitely more evident in the ones that have some play in the vamp.

Comment

@BenR: I would expect it depends on how the shoe trees are assembled and how the operate. The NR shoe trees have a spreading mechanism that activates when you compress the middle column.

If you're going to need to a buy a pair for every shoe anyways, why not just get one in the proper size for each shoe?

Comment

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread...but I bought a bunch of the Nordstrom shoe trees. I am a size 8E or 8EEE in my AEs and the size medium trees are a very tight fit in my shoes. I could probably try out the smalls to see if they still fill it out.

Comment

You are an 8 E or 8 EEE in AE lasts? That's a pretty big difference even between lasts unless you're a EEE in the 2 last. Eitherway, an 8E shoe I would probably put a size small shoe tre in there.

Comment

Working...
          X