X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hats for winter?

Winter is coming....

And my ears are getting cold....

There was a sunday challenge last week for hats... but unfortunately none of those were very warm...

When wearing dress shirt and pants and some sort of jacket, what kind of hats are there?
    Or are winter hats just not very dappered?

I wear one because I have to (I walk a mile to work). It ruins anything you want to do with your hair but it's a necessary evil. I usually try and cop a fresh merino-wool hat in a charcoal or grey to keep it simple (and stay away from blends or lambswool which are too itchy), but I did wear an orange wool knit from Gant Rugger last year I got on sale. I really liked that it stood out, especially since most of my other outerwear is navy or charcoal.

I am thinking about upping it to a cashmere wool this winter if I can find a good one on sale.

Comment

I have a burnt orange acrylic cap I got for a couple dollars from Target or Kohls. Does the job, hair be damned.

Comment

I just use those ear muffs that wrap behind your head. I don't want to mess up my hair but I have ears like a desert fox.

Comment

Acrylic beanies will do.

Wool flatcaps are nice.

A proper Ushanka is the best though. Mother Russia really knocked it out of the park on them.

Comment

I have more or less this exact hat:

http://www.lastcall.com/Portolano-Ca...3&cmCat=search

Actually on sale for a really good price right now.

Honestly, I have embraced my inner non-dapper-total-dork and wear Ear Grips many days. Don't tell. They do actually work quite well and don't destroy my hair.
            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I have a navy blue fisherman's knit(?) beanie that I picked up from Gap a year or two ago that's my go to for the cold. That being said, I'm a balding/buzzcut guy so messing up my hair is not a worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer Rex Bishop View Post
                I just use those ear muffs that wrap behind your head. I don't want to mess up my hair but I have ears like a desert fox.
                Yup. I'm also not outside in bad weather for an extended period of time. Just walking from subway, car, etc into work, restaurant, home.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron P. View Post
                  A proper Ushanka is the best though. Mother Russia really knocked it out of the park on them.
                  Benefit of this is that you practically don't need a coat due to retaining so much warmth from the top of your head.

Comment

I took a gamble and ordered this one earlier today. I'm hoping it holds up better and is less itchy than my typical $10 beanies:

http://www.woodlandsshop.com/collect...the-standard-5

Comment

Actually got the email a minute ago so I ordered an Everlane merino beanie they just dropped since I had a $15 credit sitting around. For $25, hoping this will hold up: https://www.everlane.com/collections...erino-hat-grey

Had some mixed experiences with Everlane lately, but a comparble hat from BR or something was $40. They have some new merino gloves and scarves too, it looks like.

If anyone wants to try some of their cold weather gear and isn't already an EL member, you can always use my referral code https://www.everlane.com/r/04f57a

Comment

I've got a dark green flecked lambswool watch cap that's my last living item from my Urban Outfitter days, probably over 10 years old. Works with every outerwear piece I have, who knew!

Comment

Sierra Trading Post has a number of different merino beanies. Grabbed a couple for $20 each today.

Comment

Beanies/watch caps are what you want. If you only care about your ears then the behind the head earmuffs are another option. OR! On really cold days you can wear both. Yes I've been there.

Comment

I wear a Carhartt knit hat. Does the job and I don't care if my hair gets messed up

Comment

Working...
                              X