Red Wing Iron Rangers vs. Wolverine 100 Mile Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Wing Iron Rangers vs. Wolverine 100 Mile Boots

HI all, I'm looking to buy a pair of high-end brown boots that will last me a long time, and these two seem to be the best contenders. Does anyone have experience with either? I won't be purchasing these until next fall most likely, but I'd like to figure out which pair I'm going after, with regard to saving up money. Any thoughts are welcome!

EDIT: I meant 1000 mile boots

What about Alden Indys? Picked up a pair of 403's around the holidays and love 'em! IMO they look a lot nicer than either of the pairs you mentioned.

Comment

"IMO they look a lot nicer than either of the pairs you mentioned."

I couldn't disagree more. To me, the Iron Rangers and 1000 Mile boots are BOOTS and anything with a moc-toe is just a "boot." Not knockin' the Indies, but to me, the Iron Ranger/1000 Mile/Katahdin/etc. style is the true classic work boot.

Ben

Comment

Completely agree with that comment, but I'd argue most of us don't need work boots. That kind of ruggedness serves a purpose no doubt, but for a boot that will handle what most people throw at it, I think the Indy does that with flying colors. Doesn't look as utilitarian either. Again, all up to personal taste.

Comment

agree with ben...again.

indy's don't do it for me either. I have and like alden boots, but not indy's.

of the two you mentioned, I like the cap toe detail on the iron rangers, and if those RW's are as comfortable as my 2904's, they'll be awesome. It would come down to overall boot color, though, over the cap/non-cap for me.

Comment

I don't like the Alden indy style either. I hope to get the Wolverine 1000 mile boots myself at some point, so I may be biased, but I currently own a pair of Sebago Hamiltons (not in the same league, I know) and I've realized just how badly I'd like a pair of solid, plain, utilitarian looking boots.

Comment

Are these the 1000 miles boots made of shell cordovan that retail for $900? If anyone would like to buy me some I'll test them out and keep a running diary of my findings

Comment

I like Indy's and 1000 Mile boots a lot, personally.

Comment

I definitely want a ultilitarian work boot, as opposed to the Aldens (beautiful as they are). I was just enquiring as to whether any of you had experience with either pair, particularly regarding comfort, or how well they age.

@JC: When I raise the $900, I'll be sure to let you know :P

Comment

I've never been able to say enough about my Iron Rangers. They are incredibly comfortable and break in pretty quickly. The leather quality is great. Very durable, but soft, pliable leather. Also, to me, the color is spot on. A rich, medium brown.

I have had mine for I want to say 3 years. They have seriously nearly 0 wear. They just look nice and broken in. The leather is so pliable that all scuffs buff right out if you care to do so, often just with your finger and no shoe care supplies.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I'm also considering these: http://www.amazon.com/Chippewa-Mens-Rugged-Handcrafted-Lace-Up/dp/B0036VN958/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_4

They're a fair amount cheaper, and the reviews are stellar.

Comment

I own those Chippewas and I love them. They are undoubtedly not as "nice" as the more expensive brands, and the details are not as polished. But they are built to be bombproof, are super comfortable, and look pretty darn good, too. I've worn mine just about every other day since I got them right after Christmas. Treated 'em with Obenauf's LP, switched out the laces for some nylon ones from Target, and they're good to go.

Ben

Comment

^Those look almost as good as the original ones mentioned. I'd be quite happy if someone gave me those.

Comment

BenR, this is your topic. =D

Comment

I have a pair of 1000 Mile boots, the regular plain toe ones. They're excellent boots, but really in a completely different style than the Iron Rangers. The 1K, to me, looks like a hydrid work/dress boot (especially given the leather sole), as opposed to the IRs which would never be mistaken for anything but a work boot.

The leather on the 1K is Horween Chromexcel, so it's really soft and supple. Literally zero break-in time. I've heard varying things about the IRs, but all of RWs I've owned have needed some break-in, some more than others. And sometimes it can be brutal, others not so bad. Depends on how unforgiving the leather is. Once they're broken in, though, they're really comfortable.

BenR already mentioned Chippewa. Another slightly more inexpensive alternative might the Frye Arkansas boot.

Comment

Working...
                              X