Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of the fit on this suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you guys think of the fit on this suit?

This is a CK suit that I ordered from CLAD. I ordered 40R and 32x32. My little girl's armoire has the longest mirror in the house, so that's why there's a lot of pink in the background.

It's too big. The shoulders are a couple inches too wide. You could use sizing down to a 38 in that.

Comment

Unlike a lot of people that are wearing a jacket that's too big in the chest, though, the arms aren't particularly long on you. In fact, for OTR, I'd say it's pretty good.

While you still need to size down to get the right shoulder size, maybe do some research to find if you need the 38R or 38L since the arm length will marginally shrink along with the shoulders when you size down.

Comment

Yeah, that's exactly my thought guys. Going to stop at Macy's today to try on a 38. Thanks!

Comment

Do you measure a 40 off the tape Juan?

Comment

Juan, does Macy's carry the same suit?

Comment

@frost, Yes, 40 off the tape.

@alan, Not sure but I know they carry CK.

Actually, CLAD doesn't have any more in 38, so I'm just going to send it back.

Comment

Bummer...

Comment

Sorry to hijack, but this looks fine to me(though they are much more experienced). I feel like this is how my current suit fits =/ I do notice though that when I raise my hands into 90 angles at the elbows, my delts protrude more than the shoulders of the jacket. Is this a good sign?

Comment

This is a good example of a perfect fit:

http://www.effortlessgent.com/the-endorsement-l-l-bean-signature-plain-weave-suiting/

Barron has pretty jacked arms for his size, which helps. You can see how it doesn't really dent at all coming off his shoulders when he raises his arms slightly - the sleeves just extend right out. As he gets his arms higher, a small indent shows up right at the top of the sleeve, which is just the nature of suit construction.

Before tailoring, it was much, much worse. I think this is a great example of a masterful tailor!

Comment

Juan - I think you're close in fit. For a thrifted sport coat, maybe it would be worth holding onto until something better comes along, but I think when you're spending good money, it's best to be picky.

Someone else may return a 38, so here's hoping you could still get one!

Comment

@NC, agreed. Thanks!

Comment

I don't wanna think about what Barron had to pay to shorten those functional sleeve buttons. I bought the L.L. Bean Sig searsport flannel suit and that's one of the reasons I ended up returning it. I'd probably own one or two of their suits if they were more tailor-friendly.

Ben

Comment

BenR - he answers the question in the comments with:

"Well during this particular visit, my total cost was $95. I also got a lot of work done, altering practically every part of the suit: arms slimmed and shortened, jacket sides tapered, legs and seat slimmed and hemmed. Everything was shrunken just the right amount so it fit perfectly. I believe the suit in this example was $185, so 50% additional cost."

then

"Normally, shortening [Nick edit: with functional sleeve buttons] would be done at the shoulder seam. Luckily for me I only needed to take it up around 3/4", so there was enough room at the cuff to shorten it there.

Typically, sleeves with working buttons cannot be shortened EASILY, though it can be done. Since the tailor has to shorten it at the shoulder, it can often cost significantly more. Hope that helps."

He uses the image below regularly on his site, so I've had plenty of time to analyze it. It looks like the tailor went right up to the the edge of the button hole.

Comment

Ah, I see... the one I got would have needed the sleeves shortened by at least 1", maybe closer to 1.5". It boggles me that LLB not only makes functional button sleeves, but they also seem to run long. Usually OTR sleeves are only .5-.75" too long for me.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X