No announcement yet.

What happened to The Knottery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Chipp as well. If you're someone who needs shorter ties, you can call them up (instead of ordering over the Internetz) and ask them to shorten a tie for a small fee. The proprietor will tell you that you can pay a larger sum to get the tip redone properly, or do what he does with all of his ties, which is to just sew it flat (square?) for a smaller sum (if it's good enough for him...). And then, if you don't end up needing it (I'm at the edge of their tolerances) they end up not charging you. Service.

Comment

Anyone know if Chipp will do a custom width? (i.e. 3" instead of 3.25") on his ties?

Comment

The only reason I ever used the knottery was their awesome grenadine ties, and they were never in stock. Chipp looks solid, but I still require a few slimmer ties for the lapels on my JCF Thompson suits.

Comment

I have not bought from the Knottery. I did buy a Chipp Grenadine, which seems well made. When I was in the shop, the owner said the ancient madder ties were made of the same silks as Drake's. And it looks like they are expanding the netckwear offerings. Some of the silk matka's look pretty slick.

I recently bought a tie from eHaberdasher's Benjamin line and I quite liked the tie. He apparently uses leftover Italian silks used in the likes of Zegna, Paul Smith, etc. This seems to mean that he might not have more than one or two of any given tie as the one I bought is no longer available. But at $40/tie, I'll be looking here when I need another tie.

Browsing isn't the most intuitive. To view the Benjamin tie collection:

1. Go to the home page
          2. Click on Product finder
          3. Select Neckties as the category and Benjamin as the designer. There are 300 to choose from.

The Knottery might want to go there to check out some paisleys done well.

Comment

I have one knottery tie, I always found it to be a drop too short. Also, the lack of tie loop thingy on the back threw me off.

Comment

I am wearing a Knottery spotted knit tie today. I love the tie and picked it up on the old site clearance for like $15. It is sort of crunchy.

Comment

[MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION] I had a similar reaction to the email text. It reminded me of so many Kickstarter campaigns...

Comment

I find my Knottery ties to be rather mushy for my taste (I like Lands End). I've got a kinda ragged black knit (doesn't fall totally straight) and a burgundy knit that I never wear. Open to selling them for $15 and $20 shipped, OBO, respectively. May still buy the wide pointed tie at some point to see if it's a bit crunchier, but I'm ready to pass on these.

Re: Salt + Dapper, it's funny the two owners split up but their collections parallel each other more now than ever before. S+D is the southern version of The Knottery. Looks like I'll be moving to Chipp for mid-range quality ties. Also, LE still makes good ties for the price, esp on sale. I have a churchill dot knit and a navy/burgundy wool stripe tie (still on sale for $20!!!) and really like both of them.

Comment

I have a half-dozen of The Knottery's older, crunchy silk knits and I love them. Aside from the lack of a keeper loop, they're very well made. Sadly, I'll probably pass on the new ones as they're simply more expensive ($10 more per).

As an aside, I've been finding some Brooks Bros knits at my local TJ Maxx for under $20 (non-irregulars).

Comment

Just an update:
                      Got tempted by the Knottery's latest promo code, GOBBLE (25% off everything) and wound up buying two of the wide pointed silk knit ties, brown and black. Was interested in a navy but I have a navy dot knit tie and a solid navy grenadine so I decided on black instead given its apparent versatility.

Comment

Working...
                      X