Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forbritisheyesonly
    replied

Didn't mean to insinuate that, trash. I think they look nice though, as more casual shoes for the evening, just wish they were darker. Chestnut is a bit light.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied

forbritisheyesonly, they're not my favorite design, but they are on sale. I'm just trying to give you options.

Leave a comment:

• trash
    replied

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that we should follow the collective opinion of SF members, just mentioned SF since you were thinking about buying the shoes from an SF member. I'm not big on @bruschetta's bals either, the perforations aren't very aesthetically pleasing up the vamp like that.

Leave a comment:

• forbritisheyesonly
    replied

A lot of the time, I don't give a rat's ass what SF members think. I don't like those balmorals; sorry bruschetta.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied

forbritisheyesonly, compare those to: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

Leave a comment:

• trash
    replied

They're called bicycle toed shoes, and while they're not the ugliest style out there (and don't look as bad when the stitching isn't as prominent), they seem to be almost universally disliked by SF members. Of course, what ultimately matters is whether you like them, and like them at the price you're paying.

Leave a comment:

• forbritisheyesonly
    replied

Are you serious? Wow, that's surprising. I found that so many people online love those shoes.

Leave a comment:

• trash
    replied

Agreed on the shoes, the stitching down the sides is pretty unappealing.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied

forbritisheyesonly, in my opinion, those shoes are hideous.

On the other hand, the jeans that you picked out look great.

Leave a comment:

• forbritisheyesonly
    replied

Guys, this fella wants to sell me those chestnut Hillcrests and seems a bit desperate(!) My question is, is it sufficiently casual such that I can wear chestnut shoes with dark colored jeans? I've got grey jeans and a pair of khakis I can wear it with, but how about a deep blue?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/255851/allen-edmonds-12-medium

I believe I have these in the tumbled rigid color:

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3730132&clickid=prdsw

Very smooth fabric, but has gotten a bit lighter since last year(specially in the arse). I'm thinking of using the hillcrest as my more casual shoe when I want to wear a SC and dress shirt with something other than dress trousers. Will this work?

Leave a comment:

• ColoradoGuy
    replied

Thanks, Nick. Yeah, it's hard for someone like me to determine the quality of leather just by looking at it. The Nordstrom Rack near me doesn't seem to carry much in terms of higher-quality dress shoes, and there is no AE outlet in Colorado. There is a Johnston & Murphy outlet near me, but now I'm not so convinced that J&M uses the kind of leather that will last for years.

There is also a Saks Off Fifth nearby, but even at outlet prices, the dress shoes they carry can get pretty expensive. If I want to try something on before buying, I guess I'm back to DSW, which means I'm back to the guessing game when it comes to leather quality. (Does anyone have experience with Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse? Is it comparable to DSW, or a step below?)

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

I would go to a store like Nordstrom or Allen Edmonds or DSW, try on shoes, see what's out there on eBay now that you know exactly what fits you, and if it doesn't pan out, watch for sales at those stores. Nordstrom and AE both have outlet stores, and DSW is already going to have less expensive options on hand.

Sorry I don't know much more about leather. It's something I'd like to learn more about. One thing is maintenance - if you take care of the leather uppers, whether full-grain or corrected grain, you can keep it going for years. Bonded leather or patent leather is basically plastic. Bonded leather is what you find with kids shoes at Target or $30 dress shoes. Once that outer layer flakes off, you can see a fabric weave below.

Patent leather - you can buy $300 patent leather shoes that normally go with a tuxedo, wear them twice a year and have them last a lifetime. But if you wear them every day as a police officer, they'll wear out fast because that plasticky epoxy coating cracks and flakes off.

Leave a comment:

• ColoradoGuy
    replied

Thanks, guys.

Jason -- Any shopping suggestions that don't involve eBay? I have slightly wider feet, so I usually need to try shoes on before buying. I also can't stand to pay full retail (i.e. Nordstrom) -- thus my affinity for Dappered.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

@ColoradoGuy & forbritisheyesonly,

This is going to be a better resource on the different kinds of leather:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather#Types

The Ask Andy link was more of a clarification about patent leather, which is not the same as full-grain leather.

One of the best ways to distinguish the different kinds of leather is price. Full-grain leather is much more expensive and much better than cheaper kinds, especially bonded leather.

If you trust the seller or manufacturer, look for terms like full-grain or top-grain leather. Still, you'll encounter people looking to fool you, so that's where too-good-to-be-true is a factor that still applies.

Leave a comment:

• forbritisheyesonly
    replied

Hopefully, this can help, ColoradoGuy:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?78479-Full-grain-patent-leather-vs.-corrected-grain-leather

Guys, this guy said that this shoe is made using the "#6518" last(well, he said style number):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350534018294&ssPageNam e=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

This is not a Park Avenue, but I can't identify the shoe and how it might fit my foot. Can you help me?

***okay, it might be the redding, made for Nordstrom. Worth buying?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X