No announcement yet.

Should I get these shoes fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the stitching be fixed? The seller pointed it out, so I'm wondering if I can haggle with him a bit on price.

Comment

I think it should be fixable by a cobbler, however, the price is starting at $9.99 so the damage is already built into the price. Find a good cobbler in your area and call them to ask how much it would cost to fix. Subtract that from what you'd be willing to pay for the shoes and that's your top bid.

Comment

12 D? You should start hanging out at thrift stores!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for big shoes.

Comment

LOL, jon. Don't tell me that. I'm a 12D and I never find anything in my size. Maybe people have bigger feet in Atlanta... :-(

Comment

Jon, you are a very good man. Oh, and you two are good men, too, Jason & Alan =p

Comment

I've found 12D shoes before... A very nice pair of AE loafers I traded to someone on SF

Comment

If I knew you guys had basketballer feet ...

I think the biggest I've found is 11E, but I'll start looking harder.

And while we're on the topic of shoes: At thrifts, always go to the shoes first! It takes a lot less time to scan them then the SCs and suits (usually). I say this because I nabbed the BB loafers ($250 and $600 retail) out from under the nose of another thrifter (or what I assume was one; he was a youngish-looking guy with a cart and a pile of clothes) because he went to the ties first. I did tip him off about the 40 Long BB trench, but I don't think he picked it up.

Wait a sec ... that wasn't any of you, was it?

Comment

Nah, I live on the West coast.

Comment

Jason -

I appreciate your knowledge and advice, especially regarding leather quality. I know a lot more about clothing than I do about shoes, but I'm willing to learn. My first question: You mentioned the difference between corrected grain leather and full grain leather. How can I -- an untrained individual -- tell the difference?

I currently own dress shoes from both Bostonian (cheaper) and J&M (a bit more expensive, but still not outrageous). While I've already replaced the leather soles on both pairs, the uppers on the Bostonian are definitely showing more signs of wear. At the same time, both pairs have prominent creasing, and the Bostonians look like they're actually about to crack. Does this mean that both pairs are likely constructed of corrected grain leather? I thought I was getting a higher quality, longer-lasting shoe with the J&Ms, but now I'm not so sure.

If I do need to purchase new dress shoes, how can I be sure that I'm getting the best quality leather for the money? I don't want to spend a fortune, and I do have a large outlet mall nearby, but I also want to purchase the kind of dress shoes that will last for many years -- understanding that I will still need to re-sole the shoes on occasion. What is a reasonable price point to look for when making such a purchase, and do you recommend any particular brands? (I know full well that I will have to spend a bit more for quality, but is there any to score high quality leather for less than $150-200?)

Comment

Hopefully, this can help, ColoradoGuy:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?78479-Full-grain-patent-leather-vs.-corrected-grain-leather

Guys, this guy said that this shoe is made using the "#6518" last(well, he said style number):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350534018294&ssPageNam e=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

This is not a Park Avenue, but I can't identify the shoe and how it might fit my foot. Can you help me?

***okay, it might be the redding, made for Nordstrom. Worth buying?

Comment

@ColoradoGuy & forbritisheyesonly,

This is going to be a better resource on the different kinds of leather:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather#Types

The Ask Andy link was more of a clarification about patent leather, which is not the same as full-grain leather.

One of the best ways to distinguish the different kinds of leather is price. Full-grain leather is much more expensive and much better than cheaper kinds, especially bonded leather.

If you trust the seller or manufacturer, look for terms like full-grain or top-grain leather. Still, you'll encounter people looking to fool you, so that's where too-good-to-be-true is a factor that still applies.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Jason -- Any shopping suggestions that don't involve eBay? I have slightly wider feet, so I usually need to try shoes on before buying. I also can't stand to pay full retail (i.e. Nordstrom) -- thus my affinity for Dappered.

Comment

I would go to a store like Nordstrom or Allen Edmonds or DSW, try on shoes, see what's out there on eBay now that you know exactly what fits you, and if it doesn't pan out, watch for sales at those stores. Nordstrom and AE both have outlet stores, and DSW is already going to have less expensive options on hand.

Sorry I don't know much more about leather. It's something I'd like to learn more about. One thing is maintenance - if you take care of the leather uppers, whether full-grain or corrected grain, you can keep it going for years. Bonded leather or patent leather is basically plastic. Bonded leather is what you find with kids shoes at Target or $30 dress shoes. Once that outer layer flakes off, you can see a fabric weave below.

Patent leather - you can buy $300 patent leather shoes that normally go with a tuxedo, wear them twice a year and have them last a lifetime. But if you wear them every day as a police officer, they'll wear out fast because that plasticky epoxy coating cracks and flakes off.

Comment

Thanks, Nick. Yeah, it's hard for someone like me to determine the quality of leather just by looking at it. The Nordstrom Rack near me doesn't seem to carry much in terms of higher-quality dress shoes, and there is no AE outlet in Colorado. There is a Johnston & Murphy outlet near me, but now I'm not so convinced that J&M uses the kind of leather that will last for years.

There is also a Saks Off Fifth nearby, but even at outlet prices, the dress shoes they carry can get pretty expensive. If I want to try something on before buying, I guess I'm back to DSW, which means I'm back to the guessing game when it comes to leather quality. (Does anyone have experience with Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse? Is it comparable to DSW, or a step below?)

Comment

Guys, this fella wants to sell me those chestnut Hillcrests and seems a bit desperate(!) My question is, is it sufficiently casual such that I can wear chestnut shoes with dark colored jeans? I've got grey jeans and a pair of khakis I can wear it with, but how about a deep blue?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/255851/allen-edmonds-12-medium

I believe I have these in the tumbled rigid color:

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3730132&clickid=prdsw

Very smooth fabric, but has gotten a bit lighter since last year(specially in the arse). I'm thinking of using the hillcrest as my more casual shoe when I want to wear a SC and dress shirt with something other than dress trousers. Will this work?

Comment

Working...
                                X