Boot cut khakis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot cut khakis

Am I the last one left who doesn't like tapered pants? Maybe it's because I am a 33 waist but with some junk in the trunk, or maybe it's that I wear a size 12 shoe and feel like even straight leg pants fail to cover much of it, or maybe I'm just hanging onto the past, but I always think the slight boot cut looks better on me. Anyone else?

Totally on board with you; Old Navy used to have a line of boot cut khaki's that were nice but later discontinued, so now I buy from Bonobos. The boot cut is pretty subtle but still looks good. With boot cut I can wear boots/oxfords equally well.

Comment

Well I don't like pants that are too tapered, but I don't really like flare either. I go with either straight cut or just a little more taper than that. I also wear 12's, and I'm 5'10" so my feet are a little large for my height.

Comment

I think it could depend on your foot. Boot cut--especially the super boot cut flare of about 10 years ago--just swallows up my small foot.

Comment

Just wear more awesome shoes.

Then you won't NEED to cover them up.

Ben

Comment

@BenR: After you said that, I was gonna post the pic of my big honking feet in my new PSC wingtips, but I figure I've subjected everyone to it enough already.

Comment

I think the need for a boot cut to flatter your figure is a mental thing. I argue with my brother over this all the time. He says that since he's not as tall and thin as I am, that the straight leg pants look weird on him.

My response is that he actually needs the high crotch and straight leg look to give him the vertical lines and impression of height more than I do. I can break up my height with cuffs, etc. He needs, as a shorter person, to maximize the straight lines and shy away from a boot cut or flare leg or relaxed fit.

Comment

I do think straight leg look weird on me but I'm 6'1" and about 175# so I don't think it's just height. I've totally been won over to the Bonobos pants (which I think aren't too flared) because I don't need to size up for the derriere as with every other pair of khakis I own in 34 (instead of Bonobos 33). Abercrombie used to make this great heavyweight khaki with a slight flare -- it was so odd, women used to compliment me on them all the time -- but they would fall apart in a matter of months, and they finally stopped making them in anything except the "totally pre-trashed" style, so I gave up on them.

Comment

I'm short. Well, not "short." Average. 5'9". But nowhere near tall, in any case. And on top of that, I'm vaguely pear-shaped. Slender on top, lots of junk in the trunk, if you know what I mean.

Wider-cut trousers, including bootcut, make me look shorter and stumpier than I am. Especially if they are also too long.

Judge for yourself.

Here I am in pants that are both too long and too wide at the bottom:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/1-19-2012-1.jpg

Here I am in pants that are too wide at the bottom:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/P1060132.jpg

And here I am wearing "slim fit" pants with a slight taper:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/P1060414a-1.jpg

To me, it's pretty obvious which is the most flattering cut.

Ben

Comment

I have some junk in the trunk too, but I prefer a slight taper or a straight leg. Every guy's upper legs are bigger than his lower legs. Why would you want to turn that upside down? I feel that, on me at least, boot cut pants don't look good.

Extreme tapers will be gone soon enough, but straight leg pants will be around forever.

Comment

Agree with cjl. The bootcut chino from bonobos is by far the best pant I have ever put on. I'm 5'10" and I find that unless straight leg pants are tailored to the perfect length they make my legs look shorter as the fabric scrunches up against the shoe. Whereas with bonobos bootcut the drape is just perfect. Also, I have big feet and feel that they sometimes look "clownishly long" when wearing straight leg chinos.

Comment

The bootcut camp needs to provide pics.

Otherwise, I have a hard time believing that a bootcut looks better.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I bought my first pair of straight leg jeans in probably a decade (had been wearing bootcut since high school). I don't see myself going back to bootcut any time soon. I was also concerned about how a straight cut would look on me (being long legged, wide build, and a decent amount of trunk junk), but I absolutely love the look. I honestly feel a little weird wearing one of my bootleg pairs now. I wear a size 13 shoe and they just feel like they're swimming in the bootcut after rocking the straight cut for a few days.

That being said, I don't see myself going tapered in any casual pants unless i shed some weight, and likely not even then.

Comment

A straight pant leg looks the most flattering on just about every guy out there. Boot cut pants ruin a guy's silhouette.

Comment

As long as the bootcut doesn't completely cover your shoe, it can be just as nice as straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X