Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chareth
    replied

@MattC, the best way to size them is to get your actual Brannock size measured at a store.

Given that you're saying you can wear a 7.5 in Red Wings tells me you're either an 8.0 or 8.5. I'm shocked that you wear 9.0 in dress shoes, and the same size in sneakers. Most people have to wear 0.5 to 1.0 size larger in sneakers simply because they're sized differently than typical dress shoes. If you really measure out to be a 9.0 on the Brannock, you must have very slim feet.

Anyway, once you get your Brannock measurement, just email Oak Street with that and Tony will give you guidance on what to get. Chances are that if you're a D width, he'll tell you to size down at least 0.5 from your Brannock.

Another option is Quoddy, to whom you can just send an outline of your foot. FWIW, my Quoddy's are hands down the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn, including sneakers.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

At least a half size down. You can email them for measurements. They're very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• MattC
    replied

So I've decided to just wait and save up for the Oak Streets... any advice on sizing? I wear a 9 in Sperrys sockless and they're a little on the large side. So 8.5 in Oaks? or maybe 8... I've heard they're quite large. For what its worth, I wear a 9 in dress shoes/sneakers, and a 7.5 in Red Wing IRs.

Leave a comment:

• skippapotamus
    replied

carefully contemplating the Rancourt on sale for BB right now. They're not boats, but I have to wear pants most days in the summer so boats are fridays/weekends (as far as the functional low rise sneaker replacement type part for shorts). So they'd be usable during the week (my company's business casual is very casual - they don't like jeans or t-shirts but anything else goes - including khaki/sneakers) and still stand out. I don't know about chukkas with shorts though.

Navy, suede, and Horween, which is a hell of a start, and Rancourt is on par with who I'd buy new if I were able to drop two fifty on a new moc (which right now would be the quoddy in chromexcel navy instead of the suede), and crepe isn't ideal but it's better than white IMO.

lands end is also 30% today, and they actually have my size in a navy which would come out to $60.

I could pop on both and return either, I guess. I never think of that. But I have stores of each within five miles now.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

The Hingham's were a collaboration with Mark McNairy, so I think they were better quality than normal Bass

Those Timberland's look good though

Leave a comment:

• jicarv
    replied

These are similar to the Bass version and are a lot easier to find:

http://shop.timberland.com/product/i...ductId=4208737

In general, Timberland is a lot better quality than Bass but I don't know if those special edition Bass boat shoes are better made than their usual stuff.

Leave a comment:

• MattC
    replied

Hahaha I'm actually an 8.5... I think Alan's the only one you may have to go after

Leave a comment:

• skippapotamus
    replied

yeah, me too. I guess I could relace with leather but really kinda looking for something sharper. Also, MattC, if you're a size 11.5 you may have to be locked away. Does this rag smell like chloroform?

Leave a comment:

• MattC
    replied

@splitplug, they don't have the dark navy one in my size unfortunately.

I'm looking for dark navy ones that aren't just blue and white

Leave a comment:

• splitplug
    replied

I'm not sure if it is the same shoe, but Jack Threads is selling a Hingham Mark McNairy Boat Shoe by Bass for 94.99.

http://www.jackthreads.com/sales/5964/products/57627

http://www.jackthreads.com/sales/5964/products/57625

You'll need a Jackthreads account to view.

Leave a comment:

• Thekillabeejc
    replied

Depending on what size you wear, and how dark of navy you're looking for, Amazon has navy Sebago docksides in the $60 range.

http://www.amazon.com/Sebago-Mens-Do.../dp/B002NPCMMO

Dr. Jays, an "urban" leaning website has them in size 10 for 48.99 too, plus they always have promo codes.

http://www.drjays.com/shop/P1071786/product.html

Leave a comment:

• MattC
    replied

@skippapotamus - I know exactly what you mean. At $120, I'd almost just prefer to save up for a bit longer and splurge on the Oak Streets... then again, as a college freshman I'm not sure I can justify two $200+ shoe purchases (picked up some Red Wing IR's in February) in two months to the parents.

Leave a comment:

• frost
    replied

I was set on getting the Sperry's A/O in Navy, but couldn't get over that damn "alligator skin" looking leather. I ended up picking up a nice pair of Cole Haan Hayden Boat shoes in Navy at DSW instead.

Leave a comment:

• RHStansbury
    replied

Sperry has some solid options right now. They have solid navy in the classic A/O, the Canvas A/O and the suede A/O.

Leave a comment:

• skippapotamus
    replied

been there with rios shoes too...went as far as to make an account, it looked sketchy, and then I changed all my info and never came back. Should've been smarter. Glad nothing bad happened.

But this thread haunts me. I was ready to order the Hingham (so wish the Carlile had the same lower). I've seriously considered the one Quoddy moc in navy/brick on ebay, which went for like 150 + 25 shipping, at the time something I thought stupid (and would pay right now).

I may get the bass hingham navy latigo anyway. But its scarcity is quickly escalating its price. Any chance anybody drops anything new in the spring that will be cool?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X