New Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Job?

Grad season has come and gone-- is anyone in this thread starting a new job or career?

What's the job? How's the new office culture/style? Strictly business attire or a place with some casual thrown in?

I'm actually surprised someone posted a thread like this. I just finished up grad school and got a new job at a small biotech company in the Philly suburbs. My job title is Molecular Biologist/Clinical Research Coordinator.

I start next Monday, so I'm not sure what the actual business attire is, but when I'm in the lab I would think it's business casual. When I'm traveling to hospitals to manage the clinical trials I'm assuming it's time to suit up. Not quite sure though. I like suits and this would give me an excuse to buy more!!

Comment

Interesting you should ask.

I just finished up my first year of undergrad, and instead of going back to my old position at a retail store, I took up an opportunity to work as a laborer in a steel recycling yard - true blue collar work. The pay and hours (no nights or weekends) are much better, and I'm trying to save up for a semester or two abroad down the road.

It's a unique experience, to say the least, and it's definitely something I'm not used to. But it's humbling, and I think it'll make me much more grateful for the opportunities that have been afforded to me.

One summer is enough though - internship next year, hopefully.

Comment

@Andrew Those blue collar jobs tend to be a bit less stressful than retail, too, since you're not dealing with customers who can have outlandishly terrible attitudes. Bosses and coworkers can have bad attitudes, of course, but there seems to be a much higher incidence with customers in the retail world.

Comment

Working...
        X