For those with LARGE thighs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slow*Jim View Post
    Resurrecting this old thread to share my experiences with several different frugal denim options, all in a 38 waist. I squat 230 and deadlift 265 so my thighs are fairly large.
    Odd that you decided to put in your squat and deadlift numbers, instead of your thigh circumference.

Comment

Hmm never measured them. Will have to dig up the measuring tape

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
        Levi's 541s. /thread.
        Can you compare those to any others (e.g. 501, 508, other brands)?

Comment

I have about 26"/27" thighs and a 32 or 33 waist.

For chinos:
          +J Crew's classic fit and Bowery fit are workable but pretty trim---I'm a bit self-conscious about how they hug my caboose, but wife thinks they look good (even for wearing to work). Anything slimmer---urban slim, 464, etc.---is just too tight (at least with a 33 or 34 waist).
          +I just got some Docker's Alpha Athletic fit (at recommendation of this thread I believe). They fit very well---trim but not tight. Unfortunately the navy pants have a dockers logo in orange over the back right pocket---it is pretty small, but bright orange and ugly. (The regular Alphas are too tight.)
          +Bill's Khakis M3s also fit nicely---a bit looser than the Alpha Athletic. They are very high quality as well (and priced to match---but check Sierra Trading Post). The M2 fit is comfortable, but a bit too baggy for my tastes.

For jeans STF 501s fit pretty well, though a bit tighter than ideal, and ideally I'd prefer a slightly shorter rise. I just tried 508s, but found them a bit tight around my thighs. They'd probably stretch with wear, but I'm going to return.

I just purchased some very nice wool slacks off this forum (relatively high rise and pleated). They are actually a bit loose and, especially, too large at the cuff and lower leg. You think I could get them tailored to something a bit more stylish? Or not worth it? This would be really taking the leg in quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
            5'8" 180 lbs 24~25" thighs with 34" waist. Love my Bonobos 34 slim straight chinos, or 33 straight chinos.
            Odd that you decided to put in your squat and deadlift numbers, instead of your thigh circumference.
            I'm the same height and weight as you. Well, close, anyways, 178-181, depending on the day, 5'8"; 30-31 inch natural waist. I mentioned in that recent chinos thread that I picked up a couple of pairs of Bonobos stretch chinos and I got those in 31 x 30 and they're the first pair of pants I've had in a long time where no tailoring was needed other than my 541s (which are actually a little loose since I've cut even more weight since I purchased them). Don't know how you fit into the slim fit chinos from Bonobos...I've got 24.5" thighs and a 41-42" seat and I have to size up to a 33 or 34 (depends on my weight) in the regular straight fits and tailor them to make them work for me. And, since we're throwing numbers out, I deadlift 510lbs and squat 425lbs :-P; my current recorded PRs.
            [MENTION=11484]Slow*Jim[/MENTION] I don't have much experience with 501s/508s other than when I tried them on could fit my legs into any pair that had a reasonably alterable waist size. Regardless, the 541s in Rigid Dragon have a slight bit of stretch to them so it means you can finally have a pair of slimmish jeans that don't feel like they're going to crush the boys.

Originally posted by TheCheuk View Post
            I have about 26"/27" thighs and a 32 or 33 waist.

For chinos:
            +J Crew's classic fit and Bowery fit are workable but pretty trim---I'm a bit self-conscious about how they hug my caboose, but wife thinks they look good (even for wearing to work). Anything slimmer---urban slim, 464, etc.---is just too tight (at least with a 33 or 34 waist).
            +I just got some Docker's Alpha Athletic fit (at recommendation of this thread I believe). They fit very well---trim but not tight. Unfortunately the navy pants have a dockers logo in orange over the back right pocket---it is pretty small, but bright orange and ugly. (The regular Alphas are too tight.)
            +Bill's Khakis M3s also fit nicely---a bit looser than the Alpha Athletic. They are very high quality as well (and priced to match---but check Sierra Trading Post). The M2 fit is comfortable, but a bit too baggy for my tastes.

For jeans STF 501s fit pretty well, though a bit tighter than ideal, and ideally I'd prefer a slightly shorter rise. I just tried 508s, but found them a bit tight around my thighs. They'd probably stretch with wear, but I'm going to return.

I just purchased some very nice wool slacks off this forum (relatively high rise and pleated). They are actually a bit loose and, especially, too large at the cuff and lower leg. You think I could get them tailored to something a bit more stylish? Or not worth it? This would be really taking the leg in quite a bit.
            I say tailor them. I'm planning on taking in all of my older LE traditional and Lighthouse fit chinos since I've cut weight again.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
              I'm the same height and weight as you. Well, close, anyways, 178-181, depending on the day, 5'8"; 30-31 inch natural waist. I mentioned in that recent chinos thread that I picked up a couple of pairs of Bonobos stretch chinos and I got those in 31 x 30 and they're the first pair of pants I've had in a long time where no tailoring was needed other than my 541s (which are actually a little loose since I've cut even more weight since I purchased them). Don't know how you fit into the slim fit chinos from Bonobos...I've got 24.5" thighs and a 41-42" seat and I have to size up to a 33 or 34 (depends on my weight) in the regular straight fits and tailor them to make them work for me. And, since we're throwing numbers out, I deadlift 510lbs and squat 425lbs :-P; my current recorded PRs.
              [MENTION=11484]Slow*Jim[/MENTION] I don't have much experience with 501s/508s other than when I tried them on could fit my legs into any pair that had a reasonably alterable waist size. Regardless, the 541s in Rigid Dragon have a slight bit of stretch to them so it means you can finally have a pair of slimmish jeans that don't feel like they're going to crush the boys.

I say tailor them. I'm planning on taking in all of my older LE traditional and Lighthouse fit chinos since I've cut weight again.
              Yeah the 34 slim straights fits like a glove in the waist, seat, thighs, and calves. The straights are a tad bit looser though, which I appreciate when I plan on hitting up a buffet that day. And I'm jealous of those numbers heh. I maxed out at 395 lb squat 1 rep, and 375 lb deadlift for 5 reps.

Just picked up two pairs of Bill's Khakis 25 Year Anniversary in M2s during their 50% sale. Hoping they'll be my go to pairs during the late fall/winter over thermals, since they're supposed to be a slightly baggier fit.

Comment

I can recommend:

Levi's 541 -- amazing, really. Mid-rise, which gives you the room you need, yet has a modern taper below the knee. Kinda wish the Rigid Dragon had lower contrast stitching; the orange is super-orange.

Levi's 501 STF -- they'd better damn fit if you're shrinking them to your body. Cons: abysmally small pockets, a little too baggy for my likes around and below the knee.

Bonobos stretch chinos straight fit -- great fit, but conservative. The 501s of chinos.

Express Producer pants -- Express is a little hinky for my tastes. I hate their shirts and they seem to be stuck in the 90s. But the fit on these pants is dead-on. Try the Photographer for a slightly slimmer fit.

All of these (except the 501) are basically 98% cotton, 2% stretch. Stretch feels like cheating, but it's worth it.

Comment

Finding pants that fit me has been the bane of my fashion existence so I thought I would resurrect this thread and add my recommendations:

Chinos - I have been most happy with LL Bean's Chinos as they have regular rise but tapered legs so you don't get the bottom of the pants flopping around when they are hemmed properly. The one down side is they wear out quickly. But at $40 you can buy two for the price of BB advantage. I think LE has a chino that has the same dimensions but I have yet to try them.

Jeans - Levis 541 athletic fit all the way. I replaced all my jeans with them. Again they have the slightly tapered leg and with the regular rise can be dressed up (i.e. shirt tucked in and staying that way) or just worn casually.

I'm 6', 32 waist and slim, but my thighs and butt are bigger. For pants I have all but given up on slim fit. The cinching in the knees and the riding up in the crotch when I sit is just too much for me anymore. Two important things for guys with big thighs/butt is regular rise and enough room in the hips. Without it, shirts don't stay tucked in and you get billowing. I really think this is huge problem with today's fashion that not many realize. Plus pants worn at the proper height make your legs look longer instead of the like the Trivago guy http://images.askmen.com/news/entert...1406666796.jpg
                  Last edited by realstreets; March 16, 2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I will throw out another option here, with the caveat that I haven't gotten to try them in person yet. My got to for pants, J.Crew 770 USF, just came out in a stretch version. My local J.Crew carries the street chinos in 484 fit, and I examined the material. Much to my surprise, it really does have some elasticity! When the pants debuted in my 770 fit, I ordered some to try them out. Im expecting them to be an improvement to one of the better standbys for guys with large lower blocks. Once they get here, Ill report back if anyone is interested.

Comment

I have the same problem man. My pants are either perfectly fitted in the waste but loose at the thighs, or the things are perfectly-fitted but the waist is just tight. Too darn annoying! Because of this I own like 3 pairs of pants.
                      Don't be afraid of dressing up...please.

Comment

I recently went to a Bonobos "guide shop" and tried literally 10 pairs of pants (chinos and jeans, stretch and regular). Customer service was excellent. The chinos fit wonderfully. The manager was nice enough to give me 20% off since it was my first time. I only got 1 pair of chinos since they are way more than I would spend.

Comment

Originally posted by firemunkee View Post
                          I recently went to a Bonobos "guide shop" and tried literally 10 pairs of pants (chinos and jeans, stretch and regular). Customer service was excellent. The chinos fit wonderfully. The manager was nice enough to give me 20% off since it was my first time. I only got 1 pair of chinos since they are way more than I would spend.
                          Once you nail down your size, you can find them for pretty cheap on eBay.

Comment

Once you nail down your size, you can find them for pretty cheap on eBay.
                            Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Went to Levi's outlet yesterday and finally ... a pair of jeans that fit the 541. I've hated searching for jeans as each one was a massive compromise in terms of style or fit. These are phenomenal and I bought two pairs. The waist on them seems a little generous as I am usually a 32 or 33 and these in 32 still have a fair amount of room. Maybe they will shrink after washing/use? Either way if I can find a pair of 31x31 these will be my holy grail of jeans. Thank you Levi.

Comment

Looking forward to that Urban Slim Fit 770 Stretch review.... could you please include your thigh/calf measurements and those of the pant? If you have a measuring tape available, etc.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X