No announcement yet.

For those with LARGE thighs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll jump in here as well.. I'm 5'10, about 180lbs and have larger thighs/butt. As far as jeans go, my current favorites are Gap Standard Tapered in 33/30. My true waist is somewhere around 32-33. I usually find myself going with a 33 or 34 waist in order to have enough room in the seat and thighs. My biggest gripe with doing this is that I end up with bunched up fabric at the waist. This is particularly annoying with the Gap jeans because they utilize a single belt loop at center back (Levi at least flanks that loop with one on either side, above the rear pockets). So on the Gap jeans, the fabric at the waist above the rear pockets on both sides tends to be pulled below the belt and form little unsightly bunches. I can tuck them back under the belt, but the next time I sit they are back.

Do any of you have similar issues? I haven't really seen anyone mention this yet.

Comment

I've had problems forever with this because I have an athletic frame. I am 5'10 and 193. Usually wear a 40R/41R jacket. Shirts are mostly Large (Slim Fit) or 16/35 (Slim Fit). I don't wear a suit every day but I get every shirt I wear with a suit tailored around the waist.

Pants SHOULD be a 33 - this is what I wear for shorts. I need to wear 34 most of the time with a belt to keep thighs comfortable. Otherwise if I wear 33 "standard" fit pants, they fit around the thigh but are huge around my lower legs.

I am comfortable wearing Levi 501s, Lucky Straight Fit Jeans, BR Straight Fit pants/chinos, J Crew Factory Bleecker Fit Pants and J Crew Factory Thompson as long as I "size up", although the JCF Thompson are a little on the tighter side.

Comment

I'm 6'1", 180lbs. My biggest features are my thighs... but I am unsure of exact measurements. Yesterday I tried on 3 pants at BRF, their classic, slim and tailored slim, all 3 fit awful, pockets flared like a sonofabitch. Next went to JCF and their Bedford slim pants fit me extremely well. Surprisingly. They were the wool pants, though, and I did not try on the chinos. I assume that wool pants will fit/look better than a stiffer cotton blend, as they drape better.

Comment

wheresbrando - did you try on the Bleecker pants as well? Just curious as to how the Bedford fit compares to them. I don't have a JCF anywhere near me (less than an hour) so I'm relegated to online shopping.

Comment

Unfortunately no, I did not. I was shopping strictly for dress pants for a new job so I just hit the Bedfords. I also found that the 34L fit a bit better than the 32L (I'm in between), as the taper was probably elongated a bit, but it seems like you typically wear 34Ls anyway. Pockets were flat, though. I have a horrible time with pants and pocket flare and I was very surprised how well the Bedford Slims sat on me.

Comment

Another interesting article on pocket gaping, along with a possible remedy, although one that seems beyond what I might trust many basic alterationists to get right.

http://www.tuttofattoamano.blogspot....g-pockets.html

Put me in the gaping pocket club as well. I do find that for dress pants, the J.Crew Bowery classic cut doesn't gape too badly, and has more space around the seat and thighs than the Bowery slim, which seem like they're painted on when I try them. But for me, sizing up in the waist and having them taken in is the name of the game.

Comment

On the smaller end as far as large thighs go, about 24-25" on a 5'9" 170lb frame, but realizing that I'm too broke at the moment to keep buying flannel pants. I wear through the crotch on them so quickly between the material being less hardy than tightly worsted wools and having large, nonbowing thighs. Ugh.

Comment

Someone earlier mentioned Levi's 514 and Express Photographer fits. Those are pretty much what I live in. For reference I'm 6'2" 225 and an avid Rugby player. I've got large legs and I can sympathize.

Comment

I would love to have thighs as small as you guys I wear a 40x30(or32) in Levi's, and my thigh (I just measured) is 29". I wear 501s, cause all the others seem too thin in the legs. Even then they're skin tight.

Comment

Jesus. Are you a giant? Your thighs are nearly the size of my waist.

Comment

Resurrecting this old thread to share my experiences with several different frugal denim options, all in a 38 waist. I squat 230 and deadlift 265 so my thighs are fairly large. I'm not a skinny guy, little overweight (6'1", 230lbs). To keep this a simple comparison...

Crotch & thighs ranked tightest to roomiest
                        Unbranded>508>Uniqlo Regular>Gustin Straight>501CT>501

Lower leg ranked tightest to roomiest
                        501CT>508>Uniqlo>Unbranded>Gustin>501

Denim thickness/quality worst to best
                        508>Uniqlo>501>501ct>Gustin>Unbranded

I was really disappointed in the 508. I was under the assumption they would fit basically like the 501 with a slight taper. That description isn't even close. They were SUPER tight in the thigh/crotch area. Also very thin and cheap-feeling. The 501CT on the other hand are PERFECT for me. Roomy enough in the seat and thigh without being baggy, with none of the below-the-knee bagginess I am used to with regular 501's. Also they seem about the same thickness/quality as 501's. I am going to buy up every pair I can find and keep them in boxes in case Levi's decided to change or discontinue them. They are that good.
                        Last edited by Slow*Jim; November 6, 2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow*Jim View Post
                          Resurrecting this old thread to share my experiences with several different frugal denim options, all in a 38 waist. I squat 230 and deadlift 265 so my thighs are fairly large. I'm not a skinny guy, little overweight (6'1", 230lbs). To keep this a simple comparison...

Crotch & thighs ranked tightest to roomiest
                          Unbranded>508>Uniqlo Regular>Gustin Straight>501CT>501

Lower leg ranked tightest to roomiest
                          501CT>508>Uniqlo>Unbranded>Gustin>501

Denim thickness/quality worst to best
                          508>Uniqlo>501>501ct>Gustin>Unbranded

I was really disappointed in the 508. I was under the assumption they would fit basically like the 501 with a slight taper. That description isn't even close. They were SUPER tight in the thigh/crotch area. Also very thin and cheap-feeling. The 501CT on the other hand are PERFECT for me. Roomy enough in the seat and thigh without being baggy, with none of the below-the-knee bagginess I am used to with regular 501's. Also they seem about the same thickness/quality as 501's. I am going to buy up every pair I can find and keep them in boxes in case Levi's decided to change or discontinue them. They are that good.
                          Sounds like we could be body doubles and I enthusiastically echo your enthusiasm for the 501CT. Love them. I like my particular pair of 501 STF better right now, but only because I had them tapered by a tailor. The 501CT is the best OTR jeans I've ever tried.

Comment

Levi's 541s. /thread.

Comment

Right now the pants which fit with the most room are Bills Khakis M2 (actually a little baggy).

In terms of jeans, tightest to roomiest:

Gustin>Naked and Famous Weird Guy>Lands End Made in USA straight fit> Bonobos Cone Denim Straight>Uniqlo Straight> Lucky Brand Straight>AG The Protege>Levi 505.

Had a pair of 501 STF, but they stopped fitting when my waist went from 31" to 33", the rest fit though (marked 32").

Overall The Protege are my favorite, but they only come in long lengths. Ideally I am between 29"-30", so with the hemming, they don't quite sit right.

Right now my favorite fitting pants/softest are Banana Republic Emerson Chino.
                              Last edited by 77Pat; November 6, 2015, 10:39 PM.

Comment

5'8" 180 lbs 24~25" thighs with 34" waist. Love my Bonobos 34 slim straight chinos, or 33 straight chinos.

Comment

Working...
                                X