No announcement yet.

First Pair of Allen Edmonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks y'all, this has been super helpful! Appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes George View Post
      Making the investment on my first pair of Allen Edmonds oxfords. I think I'm going to go with the Strand cap-toe.

My question is which of their brown color options (walnut, brown, bourbon) would be most versatile to go with charcoal, navy, gray, etc?

Also, if this were going to be your only pair of AE for a while, would you go with the Strand? Or is there another style that would be more prudent to own? Again, going for versatility.

Any advice on sizing with AE?
      My two cents which differs from some is the Stand is too dressy with the closed lacing to be really versatile. I think it looks weird with chinos and jeans and when I see guys wearing it I notice right away

I would get the Dalton boot or the a wingtip blutcher myself. I really like the Players shoe I have as well but not sure they carry that anymore.

Comment

Also regarding Walnut I tend to agree it should not be a first brown shoe color. I got it early on and had a hard time wearing it. The combination with the stand is really garish IMO which is fine but not versatile

I have walnut Players shoes from AE which is toned down in terms of style from the Stand. I use darker brown cream on them to tone the color down a bit but to be honest I pretty much wear them only with light brown colored pants at this point which is fine because I wear light brown/tan pants at least once a week but there it is. They can be worn with light grey but I have better choices now. They actually look great with dark inky denim as a non-traditional match but I don't wear jeans much anymore in a dressy way.

Go medium to dark brown in whatever you get IMO

Comment

I love my Walnut Strands. They stand out but when the rest of your outfit is sublet and classic they steal the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
            I love my Walnut Strands. They stand out but when the rest of your outfit is sublet and classic they steal the show.
            Don't worry man a lot of people come to this site with bad shoes. They look, try on and learn what works best.

Comment

^ this just comes across as bitter...

But to answer the OP's question, I'd probably get the McGregors in brown or Bob's Chili. I'm done with shoes but if I wasn't, Bob's Chili would be at the top of my list.

Comment

Originally posted by onerany View Post
                I'm done with shoes.
                Lies. Blasphemy. Get outta here. Actually I kinda am too for a while. After my GMTO EC comes in. And maybe after I buy a suede tassel loafer. But really, I'm mostly doing upgrades or 1-to-1 swaps now.

And I'm really happy about the McGregor's release as well as the Bob's Chili color. It's not really a mid-brown but it fills a hole in AE's color lineup, and the McGregor is a pretty versatile shoe that's easy to recommend to people new to goodyear welted shoes/AE, one that I feel much more comfortable recommending than the Strand.

Oh and...

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
                  Don't worry man a lot of people come to this site with bad shoes. They look, try on and learn what works best.
                  Wait you think the allen edmonds stands are bad shoes? Now I really question your square toed choice. But seriously as you read, look at different looks etc. I'm sure you will eventually recognize the Stand as a swell shoe.
                  Last edited by Brent k; October 25th, 2014, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Anyone around here tried out the Black Hills plain toe? I'm looking for a casual shoe

Comment

I would get the Black Park Avenues. It is the ONE shoe that will get you through ANY situation. Job interview, funeral, can wear with jeans, etc....
                      Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

No no walnut looks great with grey, charcoal or navy.

Comment

Originally posted by JPL View Post
                          No no walnut looks great with grey, charcoal or navy.
                          Agree. I feel like too many people don't like how 'flashy' the walnut strands can be and think that they are too dressy to wear with jeans/chinos. If paired with a nice pair of dark jeans/navy chinos, they look great.

But to each their own.

Comment

Working...
                          X