Pocket Square Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pocket Square Help Needed

I don't understand pocket squares. I have trouble figuring out how to walk the line between being too matchy and picking things that do not complement each other at all.

I bought two squares a year ago

and something like this with more of a true navy/darker blue

and have yet to wear either one. I usually wear a blue or cream (or blue checked) shirt with suits, so I am rarely wearing a white shirt. For some reason, I just find the white on the squares to be very stark with the rest of the outfit.

I'm faced with a pocket square decision for my brother's wedding in a week and a half. I think I would like to wear a square (my brother often does and I think he would appreciate it). The couple has provided only a bit of guidance on clothing for their guests. There is no traditional wedding party. But they did advise that they are featuring blue in both of their outfits and encourage the immediate family to do the same.

I am wearing a charcoal suit and likely a blue or white-and-blue checked shirt (as indicated above). I'm thinking that I just might like the straight line on a cotton or linen square so I'm thinking about silk instead.

I was thinking of this combination of

and .

Is it too matchy from a pattern or color perspective?
    Too much going on visually?
    Am I overthinking this? I have a feeling you guys might advise to just wear one of the simpler white squares.

Those with pocket square experience, please help me think this one through.

Pocket squares quickly veer into personal taste territory. Personally, I find that combo a little to matchy, but it is hard to say from just those photos. Lots of people seem to match pocket squares to ties, but I'm not a fan of that look. I tend to only wear a pocket square when I'm not wearing a tie. I think if you are wearing a somewhat busy shirt (as far a shirts go) and tie, a pocket square is too much. If your shirt is more reserved, the white with blue border square could work. Other option would be a solid colour tie with that pocket square suggestion.

My 2c anyway. Can be hard to break down these combos by individual photos, sometimes you just have to try em out and see how it looks.

Comment

I stick to the basics with my pocket squares but it seems like you aren't a fan. So I think the tie and PS combo you have can work... if I were going for a louder look I would probably look for a PS with blue as an accent color rather than the main color when pairing with a blue shirt and blue tie. If you go with the checked shirt I would go for something simpler for sure as the patterns could clash. Potentially it could work but you would have to look at it together.

Also don't over think it. Just throw something in your pocket and wear it with confidence.

Comment

I would skip the checked shirt and go with one of the solid ones (either cream or blue). Although I think that tie and PS could work together nicely (and way to shop eHaberdasher, he has great stuff), I would probably wear the PS with a more solid tie, pattern-wise (but a textured one, like a wool/cashmere or grenadine). The tie seems quite nice, and I think that would pair nicely with the navy-tipped linen from Kent Wang (again, good buy, great shop with great stuff). It's probably best to go somewhat muted for an event where the focus will be on somebody else.

Do you already own the tie from eHaberdasher? If you don't, this navy Prince of Wales Conrad Wu would look excellent, and PoW is considered a very traditional wedding pattern.
        Last edited by Siepi; October 16, 2014, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Checked shirt + that patterned tie + that paisley (I'm not sure that's technically paisley but whatever) square = IMO pattern overload. I'd swap out the tie you're considering for a solid knit tie in blue or maybe rust/burnt orange. That'll allow the patterns to pop and bring out complementary colors.

I really like that square, by the way, which is why I'd keep it but ditch the more conservatively patterned tie.

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
            Also don't over think it. Just throw something in your pocket and wear it with confidence.
            Also this. It's basically a hanky.

Comment

Thanks for replies. I knew it was verging on a little too much pattern.

I do not own the square or the tie I linked to. I was thinking of buying them.

I also really dig the square. So I was trying to design around that a bit. I have a solid blue grenadine that I could pair it with. That would throw texture into the mix if not more of a pattern.

Comment

White never looks bad. Even with a colored shirt, white is neutral and just looks good IMO. Whenever I can't decide on a pattern/color combo due to my tie/shirt, I just grab a white hanky and fold it up in there.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
                  White never looks bad. Even with a colored shirt, white is neutral and just looks good IMO. Whenever I can't decide on a pattern/color combo due to my tie/shirt, I just grab a white hanky and fold it up in there.
                  It's also about how much of the square you have showing. A white puff or big points turn the square from an accent to a distraction if the contrast is too great. On the other hand a thin slice exposed by an executive fold or a trio of small points dials down the contrast.

What I tend to do, just to make my decisions simpler, is if it's not a white executive fold then I aim to match a secondary colour in the shirt or tie to the pocket square. I won't wear a solid pocket square with a solid shirt, with the exception of white shirts and squares. Keeps it from being to matchy-matchy, but by having some commonality looks like a unified piece. That is influenced by my job, which requires a level of conservative dress.

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
                    It's also about how much of the square you have showing. A white puff or big points turn the square from an accent to a distraction if the contrast is too great. On the other hand a thin slice exposed by an executive fold or a trio of small points dials down the contrast.
                    I agree on the styling. I like a conservative look with the pocket square as I am the only one in my department that ever wears one. It is already noticeable without the extra flair. Sharp folded can dress up and down equally well.

Comment

I realized I never reported back. I bought the tie and pocket square I linked to in my original post along with a light blue shirt. I first checked with my brother. He thought it looked smashing and that was good enough for me.

I agree, the blue check shirt might have been a bit too much in terms of pattern.

Also, I've now realized that one of the biggest issues I had with wearing squares was the fact that all the cotton and linen squares I've tried look bulky in my slim fitted suit jackets. Now that I know silk works great, that is what I'll do from now on.

Comment

Working...
                      X