Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uniqlo Pea Coat

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men...4-OUTERWEAR#69

anyone seen this in person? btw I'd rather not buy one off of ebay before someone recommends that. This will probably go on sale soon so it might be a great option.

Thoughts?

I've not seen it in person...but I don't like the fabric composition. 70% wool is the bottom limit in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron P. View Post
      I've not seen it in person...but I don't like the fabric composition. 70% wool is the bottom limit in my opinion.
      Because of warmth, durability, or both?

Comment

I had this from a couple seasons ago and the fit and look is great but it was not very warm and while it gets cold here it doesn't drop below the low to mid 30s too often and I still did not find it warm enough; about equal to a heavier TNF fleece rather than a wool peacoat. Another thing to consider is my version was just a nylon lining, your link says quilted so that may make a difference. I know this year's version are in stores now but I didn't pay attention to outerwear this past weekend when I stopped by; will try to check on the way home from work this week. This past winter I upgraded to a Schott NYC peacoat and am very happy with it. So depending on your climate and how much warmth you need may be big factor. If you are from the NE or midwest I would venture a guess it might not be warm enough.

Comment

Thanks! great feedback, and please let me know what you think when you stop by

Comment

Originally posted by jack7 View Post
            Because of warmth, durability, or both?
            Both. A certain quantity of nylon strengthens outerwear. Improves its colour retainment, water resistance, resistance to tearing, and it keeps moths away from it. Too much though, and you start to lose out on insulation qualities, you get a weird shine to it, it gets a strange spongy texture.

I assume you're looking for something new, but low cost here. I can appreciate that. Shop around though, there are a lot of great peacoats available for under 125 dollars that are 70-80% wool in their content. Here's the checklist for a new peacoat, at least from my opinion:
            • At least 70% wool. Nylon is the preferred blend, not so much polyester.
            • Functional Lapels. A lot of peacoats coming out these days can't be buttoned all the way up. That's just terrible.
            • Fouled Anchor Buttons. I'll admit this is probably just me being picky, but I don't think a peacoat looks right without em. The only leeway is with proper Brass or Pewter buttons.
            • Comes in Navy. I get that some folks might like charcoal or black better, but it's just not a peacoat in my mind if it doesn't come in Navy. Blue is an acceptable alternative, but not ideal.

I can toss out a few options that I've been recommended if you'd like? I can't comment personally on their quality though, as I got mine on Ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron P. View Post
              Both. A certain quantity of nylon strengthens outerwear. Improves its colour retainment, water resistance, resistance to tearing, and it keeps moths away from it. Too much though, and you start to lose out on insulation qualities, you get a weird shine to it, it gets a strange spongy texture.

I assume you're looking for something new, but low cost here. I can appreciate that. Shop around though, there are a lot of great peacoats available for under 125 dollars that are 70-80% wool in their content. Here's the checklist for a new peacoat, at least from my opinion:
              • At least 70% wool. Nylon is the preferred blend, not so much polyester.
              • Functional Lapels. A lot of peacoats coming out these days can't be buttoned all the way up. That's just terrible.
              • Fouled Anchor Buttons. I'll admit this is probably just me being picky, but I don't think a peacoat looks right without em. The only leeway is with proper Brass or Pewter buttons.
              • Comes in Navy. I get that some folks might like charcoal or black better, but it's just not a peacoat in my mind if it doesn't come in Navy. Blue is an acceptable alternative, but not ideal.

I can toss out a few options that I've been recommended if you'd like? I can't comment personally on their quality though, as I got mine on Ebay.
              I'd love to see your recommendations!

I actually really like these uniqlo buttons but I could see why someone would like the classic anchor buttons

Comment

[MENTION=12218]jack7[/MENTION] Here's what the list of options for under 125 then, in descending order of preference.

Option A: The Alpha Industries Coat
                Alpha Industries is an old military contractor, most famous for producing the much loved M-65 Field Coat. They also make a pea-coats that match the Navy's requirements, albeit not of as high a quality as the Sterlingwear issue ones. Fairly trim (In fact, a lot of folks need to size up with them), truly doublebreasted so they're comfy for lefties too. I used to think you couldn't go wrong with them, but they've been having some quality control issues as of late. Still, they're what you'll find in a lot of army surplus stores, and 90% of the time you'll come away happy. Comes in six colours, blue/black/charcoal, and olive/light grey/dark grey

Option B: Fidelity
                Fidelity makes some good heavyweight pea coats for a fairly low cost. Full price is around 160 dollars, but they can very often be had for under 100. They're hard to find though...so not always an option

Option C: BGSD
                I don't like this brand personally, but they put out decent quality outerwear. I've seen them in person, though I've never actually worn them, and they actually look quite good (Though some alterations may be necessary) Violates the rule of "Functional Lapels", but this can be dealt with by wearing a scarf, or buying a bibbed option if you can get it. High wool content to be had for typically around 130 dollars, so there's that. Some models come with a bib, and fouled anchor buttons, some don't. Available all over the place too, so that's a plus.

Comment

Working...
                X