Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emmet
    replied
    That cultural color lesson was very interesting, and well done. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• madmanSCDP
    replied
    Originally posted by mjn082 View Post
    Very good reviews, the peacoat sounds very nice. And yes, when the traffic light turns greens we say "aoi desu" (it's blue). And [MENTION=12775]madmanSCDP[/MENTION] yokoso
    mjn082-san arigatou gozaimasu, yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

Leave a comment:

• mjn082
    replied
    Very good reviews, the peacoat sounds very nice. And yes, when the traffic light turns greens we say "aoi desu" (it's blue). And [MENTION=12775]madmanSCDP[/MENTION] yokoso

Leave a comment:

• madmanSCDP
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron P. View Post
    It's a cultural thing. For a very long time, Japan (and a number of cultures in east Asia actually) didn't actually distinguish blue from green. Up until around the fifties, it was just considered a shade of blue. This is very similar to how for a very long time, English didn't actually have a seperate word for the colour orange. You can see the legacy of this show up in our idioms, and other little quirks of culture, like how we describe people with orange hair (redheads).

This leads to a perceptual peculiarity: the more words a language uses to describe colour, the better people who are raised speaking it can evaluate it. Since Japan has tended to lump green together with blue, you can see little disconnects between what they think of as green, and what we think of as green in the English speaking section of the world. One of the examples of this shows up in Uniqlo's colourings: virtually of their "Greens" contain some degree of blue shading. Their socks are the best place to take a look at it, since you can look at a variety of colours, but some of their sweaters stand out too. 52, 54, 55, 56, and 57 are all shades of cyan.

I should mention I don't mean to offend anyone with that statement. If folks feel it's a little close to the edge, I'd be happy to take it down.
    I can weigh in on this a bit as well since I've been living in Japan for the last two years and my girlfriend is Japanese. The Uniqlo stores I've seen here definitely have the blueish tint to all of their "green" items, but it's not just Uniqlo. What most of the stores call "green" (or rather 'midori') is actually closer to turquoise. Additionally, the kanji (character) used for the word 'ao' (meaning blue) is 青, but for a long time it could also be read as 'midori' (meaning green). 緑 is now the kanji used for green, but it's definitely easy to see why blueish tinted green items would be more popular in Japan.

As far as the traffic lights are concerned (according to the lady), the reason that they're called 'aoshingo' (blue light) and not 'midorishingo' (green light) is that 'aoshingo' is much easier to say than 'midorishingo', so the past ambiguity with the two colors worked as an advantage.

Also, hello! This post brought me out of lurk-mode. Hope to post a bit more frequently and weigh on with some items that I've procured with my modest English teacher's salary.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron P.
    replied
    Adding to the list: Claiborne V-neck Argyle Sweater (Cotton)

I got this from JCP today for five dollars after haggling a manager into letting me use two coupons on it at once. It's actually a fairly nice piece. Remarkably trim for something from JCP, a nice soft cotton that feels substantial. Still not chunky, but definitely has some weight to it. Comes in a collection of different colours, I found that the Blue/Grey/Black option looks the best. Very neat on the outside, but flipping it inside out reveals some not-fantastic construction. If you buy it, flip it inside out and tie off the IPs, then snip off what's left. Very comfortable for temperatures between 50 and 70 degrees, but it might not be the best choice in cold weather. Retails for 50 dollars which is way, way, way too much for it, but this is JCP, so if you play it smart you can get it for dirt cheap.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    It's a cultural thing. For a very long time, Japan (and a number of cultures in east Asia actually) didn't actually distinguish blue from green. Up until around the fifties, it was just considered a shade of blue. This is very similar to how for a very long time, English didn't actually have a seperate word for the colour orange. You can see the legacy of this show up in our idioms, and other little quirks of culture, like how we describe people with orange hair (redheads).

This leads to a perceptual peculiarity: the more words a language uses to describe colour, the better people who are raised speaking it can evaluate it. Since Japan has tended to lump green together with blue, you can see little disconnects between what they think of as green, and what we think of as green in the English speaking section of the world. One of the examples of this shows up in Uniqlo's colourings: virtually of their "Greens" contain some degree of blue shading. Their socks are the best place to take a look at it, since you can look at a variety of colours, but some of their sweaters stand out too. 52, 54, 55, 56, and 57 are all shades of cyan.

I should mention I don't mean to offend anyone with that statement. If folks feel it's a little close to the edge, I'd be happy to take it down.
    This is very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• redbeardedmike
    replied
    In Japan, they have stoplights with colors we would all recognize, but they refer to the green as blue.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    This episode of Radiolab is relevant: http://www.radiolab.org/story/211213-sky-isnt-blue/

The upshot is that blue is a color/concept that usually arises late in a culture's evolution. I'd actually forgotten I'd heard this until the above discussion reminded me.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron P.
    replied
    [MENTION=2088]Alex[/MENTION] Both actually! One of my closest friends was raised in a Japanese household, and she has some issues with differentiating between green and blue. She's been to optometrists, and was told physically she could tell the difference, but culturally and mentally it's hard for her at times. I was taught about the verbal influence upon perception in a psych class in college...though as I understand it, it's a subject of some debate.
    Last edited by Aaron P.; October 11, 2014, 11:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex View Post
    I found it interesting and don't think it was framed in a disrespectful manner. Do you know this information randomly, out of interest, or professional/student basis?
    Agreed. I just legitimately didn't know what you meant.

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied
    I found it interesting and don't think it was framed in a disrespectful manner. Do you know this information randomly, out of interest, or professional/student basis?

Leave a comment:

• gaseousclay
    replied
    Agree on the Uniqlo selvedge. Pretty good fit/quality for the price. I bought all 3 colors they had. Haven't washed em yet but I'll find out soon enough if they shrink on me. The slim fit look doesn't really work for me and I found the Uniqlos perfect for those who like something in between. Plus, they seem to be perpetually on sale so it's a no brainer

Leave a comment:

• Aaron P.
    replied

Last edited by Aaron P.; October 11, 2014, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Slow*Jim
    replied
    I've been looking for feedback on those jeans. Sounds like they likely won't develop any fades over time, which to me defeats the whole purpose of buying raw/selvedge denim.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    Doesn't come in actual green, because the Japanese have as much trouble with Blue and Green as we used to with Red and Orange.
    Originally posted by Shomas View Post
    Thanks for these reviews. I'm curious, though: can you expand on "the Japanese have as much trouble with Blue and Green as we used to with Red and Orange." What kind of trouble?
    What a weird thing to say.

Uniqlo's Merino comes in 58 Dark Green, 67 Blue, 68 Blue, and 69 Navy.

Uniqlo's lambswool is offered in 57 Olive, 59 Dark Green, 62 Light Blue, 63 Light Blue, 67 Blue, and 69 Navy.

I personally own the merino in 68, and the lambswool in dark green and navy. I'd say that the green is a true green, and the navy is a true navy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X