Are these hangars OK for Jackets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these hangars OK for Jackets?

I read an article about the importance of using "proper" hangars to preserve a blazer/sportcoat/suit's form and have avoided the usual white plastic and thin wire hangers as a result, but are my current hangars OK enough? The have the curved shape to simulate a back, but the ends are not as thick as some jacket hangars I've seen that simulate shoulders.

No wire hangers and a wide shoulder spread are the tips I hear most that keep up good shoulder and garment hang. Not sure to an expert level though.

Comment

Wide cedar hangers > Wide wood hangers > Wood/thick plastic hangers (sorry, not trying to put "thick" and "wood" next to each other intentionally) > Thinner plastic hangers > Wire hangers

This is like the iPad of hangers: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF482_1_40000000001_-1

A little bit nicer, a LOT more expensive. You could use it on your favorite/most expensive suit then opt for a less expensive option for sport coats, etc.

Comment

What I'm saying is - I wouldn't change a thing with the corduroy sport coats since they're pretty indestructible, but you might want a wider hanger for the suit since the worsted wool and padding can take on the shape of the hanger.

Comment

I'd like to think of these as the Cadillac of hangers http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF478_1_40000000001_-1

Although I cannot afford it, I'd like to someday

Comment

Hmmm...so I'll need to spend some money on better quality hangers? :-( How long does it take for hangers to cause damage? I've had most of my sport coats around 3-4 months...it might already be too late?

Comment

amazon has some nice ones joe @ dappered had mentioned before for i think around 6.99 a pair. They aren't cedar, but you don't NEED cedar. They are wooden, with wide shoulder bars to help keep the padding where it needs to lay.

Comment

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/best-suit-hangers

I liked thekillabeejc's OP & OnlyShawn's choice.

I have no idea about damage - I think it's just that they take on the shape of what they're hanging on.

Comment

Hmm those hangers from Walmart seem pretty affordable. How bad are the ones that I currently have?

Comment

Acoustic,

Based on your comment, "it might be too late?", I think you are fine. In my opinion guys like us (clothes freaks) get really caught up in all the little specifics and forget that most guys wear terribly fitted suits that probably hang on wire hangers for months at a time, and most people don't notice the difference. While we all lust for AE Cadillac hangers, I think yours are decently wide and should work for the time being. Most of mine are on the same type of hanger.

Things like shoe trees and nice hangers, I try to pick one up every once in awhile when I have some spare cash. Eventually I will have a good set, but I don't see the need to rush out and buy all new perfect hangers.

Granted, this is all my thoughts and I have no expertise at all about hangers

Comment

Working...
                    X