Valentine's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valentine's Day

It seems to me that few things motivate a guy to dress up quite like trying to impress a woman. With Valentine's Day around the corner, whats your plan and what are you wearing?

I'll post my plans/outfit soon enough, but I figured I would toss out the question now to give you guys a whole week to respond. And for anyone who hasn't considered V Day yet, maybe this thread will get you off your butt. :-P

Not sure on the details but outfit foundation pieces are a navy BB cashmere blazer I scored on EBay and my new Bonobos denim. I've secured a sitter, so probably dinner and a movie. Simple, yes, but when you have a child, a luxury.

Comment

My wife loves Waffle House, and they do a Valentine's Day meal where they spiff up the restaurant. It's become a hokey tradition, so I get off very easy.

Comment

Nothing valentines night, but plan on going to Ruths Chris steak house probably the weekend before to celebrate it. I'll probably keep it simple with a blazer, chinos, and a shirt. When you wear a suit everyday to work, casual seems desirable.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you, Tat. I have class on Valentine's Day so we're celebrating on Saturday night. We already have our reservations for a place called Jasper's. I've been before, but my wife never has so she's been really looking forward to it.

We'll get there early to hit up the bar. I'll totally be over-dressed in my grey pinstripe suit, but I really don't care. I gave my wife an early Valentine's gift of a BCBG dress that she'll be able to wear for the occassion (which I hit a home run with) so we'll both be dressed up together.

I've been dressing up more for work and class, but we haven't had an occassion to dress up to go out. So we just sort of made one up. We're going to pretend like we're fancier than we really are. I've been so busy with school that we haven't had any real dates in months. Valentine's Day is making up for some of that lost time.

Comment

I'm surprising her with a masseuse coming to our house to give us each an hour long massage. Might make that a monthly tradition.

Comment

I will be celebrating Anna Howard Shaw Day alone. Thank you for asking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMgKYS1Qj3w

Comment

Hey Nick what is the masseuse setting you back. I was thinking of getting the wife a Spa certificate.

Comment

At what point in a relationship are you obligated to have a Valentine's date?

Comment

When I was dating the rule of thumb was if you had more than 3 dates with someone prior to valentines day, than you would be "obligated". The caveat is the period between the 3 or more dates. The longer the time between dates that less obligation you would have.

Comment

Hmm. I think it's more complicated than that. I'll have to think about it.

Comment

@ Jose, it always is...

Comment

Jose -- you thinking it's more or less than that? I've done vday before the 4th date before and it's gone great, and I've done vday after and it's gone awkwardly. Typically I fall into the category of wanting to avoid V-day altogether unless I'm in a committed relationship. I think there are too many factors to try to list out (I mean, even if only counting dates, what exactly qualifies as a date?), so I'll just say I think it's more of a feel thing than anything.

Comment

I've gone on second dates on Valentine's Day, but then again I like going on dates. No girl wants to stay home on v day so its easy to find someone to go out with. Its not like you have to show up with flowers and chocolates. Plus of the girl is feeling particularly romantic... bonus! So its not an obligation. Its an opportunity!

Comment

And now that I've derailed my own thread... back on topic! :-P

Since this is a style forum, ill try to post what I'll be wearing for our v day date when I get home tonight. My wife wont let me see her in her dress until date night so I'm not letting her see me either.

Comment

Working...
                              X