Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with Florsheim shoes? How do they fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience with Florsheim shoes? How do they fit?

Looking at a pair of Veblen shoes from Florsheim. Just wondering how their sizing runs. Based on reviews it appears to be true to size, but wanted to see if any of you have experience.

For reference here are my sizes for the following:

10 - Alden

10 - Clarks

10.5D - AE

10.5 - most every other shoe brand

Should be safe with 10.5 assuming they don't run small like Clarks/Aldens. Anyone care to chime in and confirm that?

thanks!

Color I plan on ordering is not here, but it gives you an idea of the style

http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/...r-header-12071

Florsheim is such a common brand. It's sold all over the place. Have you tried finding this shoe locally so you can try it on in person?

Comment

I have the Veblen and it's in the same size as my AE Dalton boot. By the way, love the shoe.. I think it looks so much better in person than the pics on the Florsheim site.

Comment

Alan - I looked at a nearby Bloomingdales and Nordstroms and they didn't have any.

Juan - Thanks. Just placed an order.

Comment

@mdwsta4, what color did you order?

Comment

I have three pairs of Florsheims and they seem pretty true to size - all three are in my properly measured size and the fit is good. They're not the most comfortable lasts I've tried on but I wouldn't size up or down. Also, nice call on the Veblen, great looking shoe.

Comment

I ended up ordering the gray. Debated about them and wine. Figured the gray might be a little more subtle for work.

Comment

People always talk about Florsheim being widely available, but I've never seen them in person where I live, besides a few in thrift stores.

Comment

For anyone that's interested, my Veblen longwings came in today. Overall I'm impressed with initial build quality for shoes that cost about $150. Leather uppers feel soft and fit comfortably. The leather is slightly distressed and the entire sole is pretty chunky which IMO makes them look a lot more casual. Not so casual I couldn't wear them into the office, but I doubt I would unless it was some sort of casual day. There is a gel pad at the heel which is kind of strange; I feel that it moves my heel too high up in the shoe. We'll see how it feels after they're broken in a bit. I ordered 10.5D which is what I wear in most shoe brands. The overall fit is nearly perfect, however I find my heel slipping out of the shoe. Have zero desire to wear thicker socks so I'm tying the shoes tighter than I normally would to eliminate the problem. I may order a size 10 to see how they fit, but based on how the 10.5's fit, I'm positive they'd be too tight.

Other than the heel slip, my only real complaint is the thickness of the soles. They're REALLY THICK! Makes the shoe somewhat stiff to walk in. Again, I would assume this will go away once they're broken in, but it was the first thing I noticed about the shoe.

Anyway, onto pics...

Here's a good comparison on how thick the soles are compared to AE Strands

Brogue detailing

Cheers,

M

Comment

Shoe pr0n.

Ben

Comment

Oh, also still debating about how I want to tie them (see pic 1). Open to opinions/suggestions.

Comment

Dear MDWSTA4

I think your laces ought to be cleaner with the amount of detailing your shoes have. Go with the style on the left foot.

Comment

mdwsta4: Old thread I know, but I just got these in the same 10.5D and also have a similar problem of heel slippage. Did these get better over time for you?

Also, if I could trouble you, what's your foot length measurement with your usual socks on? Just want to see if they might really be too big for me. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by nickwjd View Post
                            mdwsta4: Old thread I know, but I just got these in the same 10.5D and also have a similar problem of heel slippage. Did these get better over time for you?

Also, if I could trouble you, what's your foot length measurement with your usual socks on? Just want to see if they might really be too big for me. Thanks!
                            Same trouble as y'all with my pair in Wine (burgundy) with heel slip. I cross-lace instead of bar lace for a tighter fit and wear thicker socks....might give these to my brother and give up on 'em though, these are great casual shoes with wonderfully supple leather, but the fit is just annoying.

Comment

got a set in this color for $16 at Marshalls.

They are the clunkiest shoes in my entire closet, but as a contrast to my AE's they're kind of nice that.

The vegetable tanned leather is interesting, and very squishy. It's not particularly good quality leather, but at least it's not coated or simply horrible like their other shoes. With some dark brown shoe polish mine developed a mature looking patina.

The shape of the shoes is super anti-sexy. it's a big enormous boat of a shoe. Walking in them is like parking a cruise ship sometimes.

The actual craftsmanship is just fine, funny enough. Florsheim's Indian shoe makers can apparently assemble a fairly good shoe. They're definitley not comparable to any of the quality shoes I own, but they're definitley better than something molded rubber sole from JPC or Aldo.

If they were my only shoes I think I would hate them. As an odd Thursday shoe, they're kind of neat.

Comment

Working...
                              X