Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are black loafers as nonversatile as I think they are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are black loafers as nonversatile as I think they are?

So, I ordered the Main Standard LL bean loafer a few weeks ago and they came today: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65064...=Black%20Slate. I apparently overlooked the clear sign that the color was "black slate" as the pictures genuinely looked brown on my screen. Anyway, they fit pretty well and I like the look of them. I'm worried however, that their being black would not fit as well with a general casual dress up outfit (think straight chinos, tweed jacket, gingham button up, no tie) with which loafers are usually matched. I'm contemplating sending them back, but I wanted to get opinions first. Are black loafers versatile at all? Thanks

Short answer: yes.

Comment

I think those are great and will go well with all those items that you mentioned. I like how the Brown sole looks with the Black upper. However, I think I'm in the minority here, since most on this forum seem to hate black shoes.

Comment

I have black loafers (AEs I thrifted) and I have a hard time working them into my outfits. I think they might work well if you have to dress professionally most days and need a rotation of slightly dressier shoes.

Ben

Comment

Juan, I have four pairs of black shoes, and one pair of brown shoes. I prefer black shoes. However, black loafers are tricky. You can't really get away with them casually, and they're not dressy enough for professional settings.

Comment

For casual wear, your black loafers will pair better with dark denim than chinos in shades of brown. It's nice to have more than 1 pair of casual shoes. I have a "distressed" wingtip in a grey that I like wearing casually with a khaki or chino.

Not a huge fan of that particular loafer personally, it's not something I'd wear formally or casually.

Comment

FYI the chinos in question are navy...don't know if that helps the case or not.

Comment

You're screwed with navy chinos. You just can't wear them with black shoes.

I think bruschetta framed the dilemma well. Black shoes are great for dressy occasions, so they make great cap toes, etc. I have a pair of distressed black leather bluchers that are just useless. Not dressy enough for anything, and if given the choice, I'll always opt for my distressed brown leather bluchers or my new walnut Daltons.

I'd go with returning them. You'll be glad you did.

Comment

http://learninglonergan.blogspot.com/2012/02/loafers.html

I actually gave it some more thought, and I actually like the way they look with grey pants or dark jeans. Maybe it's just a preference, but I like it more than I did a week ago. I still haven't decided if I want to keep them, but I'm leaning more toward it now...

Comment

For a loafer that casual, I like wearing them like I wear my boat shoes. In the summer and with shorts. I go to loafers in summer for a little bit more dress up casual feel. Such as wearing a seersucker coat over a button down and shorts with loafers.

Comment

Depending what you like to wear, I've seen black loafers pulled off well to tie together more edgy outfits. For example, brighter polo/shirt, white pants, maybe navy sport coat, black loafers sans socks. I'm not thrilled about the look, but think the black actually work better than brown there.

I'm in the camp that doesn't dislike black shoes, but prefers browns. I actually wear burgundy dress shoes more often than brown or black. Don't know why I'm so drawn to them but like the burgundy pairing with navy. Newest addition is tan monks so will have to see how I work them into the mix.

Comment

Burgundy dress shoes are underrated. I have a pair (AE Van Ness) waiting in my closet for the perfect occasion to bust them out. As for black loafers, they're definitely hard to work with (in my mind) since the color suggests something very formal and conservative, but loafers are a casual style, especially the LL Bean ones linked. A sleeker loafer could work better, black or brown.

Comment

I got a pair of Sebago black loafers for Christmas this year and am a fan of them. I wear them when I get more dressed up but also casually (with chinos and the like). While this might be a violation of the "rules of dress" it is still doable for most guys. I'm a college student and boat shoes are the norm for "nice shoes" so when I pull out my loafers I'm way ahead of the curve for most students. If you strictly follow the "rules of dress" than yes black loafers are less versatile. If you bend and occasionally break these rules than black loafers, in my personal opinion are more versatile. They can be worn for more formal events (weddings, funerals, and the like) and casually. It all depends on you though and your feeling on breaking the "rules."

Comment

Working...
                          X