No announcement yet.

When did you start caring...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always cared about how I dressed but was always clueless as to how to do it well. What got the ball rolling recently was me getting my M1 license a couple years ago and then looking for proper jeans for riding. From there I found out about Levis STF, then Selvage, then somehow I ended up landing on sites like Dappered, Primer, and Art of Manliness. The rest is history.

Ironically, I've never owned selvage denim until recently when I went to Target for those $20 Converse One-Star Selvage jeans.

Comment

About 4 years ago, I lost weight and had to replace my whole wardrobe. The large number of hours spent shopping made me very, very picky. I had always previously relied on the advice of others when shopping, but eventually realized that they didn't know anything and I had to take initiative. The two things that drove me to my current insanity were: 1) An inability to find jeans that fit and 2) horrible blousy dress shirts

Comment

I started becoming more conscientious of my style during my 2nd year of college, but being a poor college student, I didn't have the biggest budget to get what I really wanted. I tried to work in ties and vests occasionally, which, amongst other engineering students, raised some eyebrows.

I try hard to look very nice at my office, especially when attending meetings and dealing with designers... I figure that if I look polished during meetings, and come with killer data to back up my arguments, the higher ups are bound to notice eventually.

Comment

I've actually had the nickname "Preppy" since junior high, partly because I was always the trendiest/well-dressed kid in class, and partly because of my hero-worship of Saved By The Bell. There's even a class shot of me in pre-school rocking a white suit and tie while all the other kids are in their jogging suits and t-shirts. Growing up, my family always made sure I had top of the line clothes, name brands, etc. For a while I was a bit of a brand whore, until I started realizing that quality wins out over quantity when it came to clothes buying. Every few years I go through a wardrobe purge, and while I do have some guilty pleasures (American Eagle button downs fit PERFECTLY for casual wear, and I like the fitted feel of Abercrombie/Hollister t-shirts), I stick to mature brands such as Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, etc. I also have an affinity for things that "pop", but rather than let things like that overwhelm my collection, I've grown accustomed to picking up a few pieces here and there that fit well with my wardrobe and can be mixed and matched with standard pieces rather than have me look like I'm peacocking.

Comment

I had always been conscious of what I had on, but mostly from the "what crazy thing can I find at the thrift store" perspective. In college in 2002, I wanted new jeans, as I still had only a couple of pairs from junior high. I wanted bootcut, which were impossible to find then. I also wanted a corduroy jacket styled like a jean jacket because I saw Eddie Vedder with one in videos from the early 90s. I found that at J. Crew and I found the jeans from Levi's. I feel like it was their first pair of bootcuts since the 70s, as they didn't even have a number.

Those two purchases kind of opened my eyes. Like - I can see styles I would like to emulate and I can track them down? Yes please.

Comment

When did you start caring...

Loved reading the stories. I have always been thoughtful of how I looked, but growing up in an urban environment precluded me from really understanding timeless style. I was the Jordan's color way matching my shirt with some ecko, rockawear, enyce, girbaud jeans. Expensive for no reason. But around junior year in college my wife then gf took me to express, and she FORCED me to buy some shirts that actually fit me well. I was reluctant and said this shizznit is soo tight. Log story short after about a month of wearing them I realized I looked nicer in them as well. This started the evolution of style, after the shirt fit well, I realized the pants were too baggy, and changed out those. Then realized the Jordan's couldn't be worn all the time and switched those out to diesels.

Then I really got into it when I read flussers book. In all it's been about a 7 year transformation to what you see now. This handsome gent before you lol.

Cheers to you all on your journey.
              "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
              I>0<I

Comment

Because of the girl, well, of course the purpose was to impress her. It seems that decent suits did help.
                I choose my style wisely, not just because I want to look handsome, but also because I want to show myself to the world.

Comment

Working...
                X