Anyone have Ben Sherman Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have Ben Sherman Experience?

I saw this on the cladmen sale, and I thought I'd ask before I order it.

http://www.cladmen.com/on-sale/kings-notch-lapel-17.html

I'm looking for my first suit, so it's either this or Indochino. I've been wanting the J Crew Thompson suit but they never have my pants size. I'm 6' 2" with a 38" chest and a 30" waist. So I know ordering the Ben Sherman suit might be a problem since you can't buy separates. Is it possible to buy a 36R and let it out so that the pants will fit? Or should I go for the 38R and tailor the pants? Oddly enough a 38R fits pretty well in the sleeves for me anyways.

It's easier to tailor pants than a jacket, and easier to work with too much fabric than too little, so I would get the jacket that fits you best and have the pants tailored down.

Ben

Comment

Odd that they don't even tell you what size pants you get with the 36. Following the chart - it's probably 30".

A tailor can basically redo everything about the pants to make them smaller. Not with a jacket. Still, it could be an ordeal with the pants to have the waist brought it, have them tapered, and finally, hemmed. If that's all it takes, it sounds easier than hassling back and forth with a bad Indochino experience. I've got a similar build as you - 6'1", 145 lbs, 38" chest (measures 36.25"), with 31-32x34 pants.

I gave up on the OTR process in favor of custom. But if a 38R jacket fits you well, you're in luck.

Comment

Does the five-button cuff look a little off to anyone else?

Comment

It might be worth looking at TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt in the UK - order jackets and trousers separately to get the best fit in each - trousers in unfinished legs so that you can have them tailored to the length you prefer.

I'm also 6'2" and usually need an "L" fitting - but maybe that gives me a more conservative length than you are seeking.

CT has some stores in the USA - I know they are in Manhattan - it might be worth trying in store before you order if there are any close to you.

Comment

Ben sherman fits slim. If you're like me, which is in between 36-38. Then order a 36. It'll fit slim and you probably won't have to get it tailored except the sleeves. I'm 5'11" and I got a 36R. It fits me great OTR and I didn't need to tailot anything. You're probably better off getting a 36L and having the sleeves tailored if you need to.

Comment

I've only seen a 36L once in my life. :-/

Comment

The two English firms I listed appear to start their "L" fittings from 38 only

Comment

This suit is about $120 with the code. It comes in a 36S which is why I'm looking at it. What are your thoughts on the looks of it? I like the trim fit and the ticket pocket, but I'm not sure about the stripes.

@runawayk: did you end up ordering it? Like it?

Comment

Working...
                  X