Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought my first pair of 1000 mile boot, how should I protect them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So as the title says I recently treated myself to a pair of Wolverine 1000 boots (McClean) during the Nordstrom anniversary sale.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/wolverin...ot-men/3709206

I would really appreciate some tips on preventative maintenance. I have read that obenaufs is good but can darken the boots too much. I have also read that venetian shoe cream is option (reddit). Lots of conflicting info out there.

Thanks!

I used Obenhauf's LP when I first got mine and was happy with the result. It does darken the leather a little, but it was pretty minimal in my experience. If you use any oil, on the other hand, it will darken them fairly significantly.

I used Crane's method from styleforum if you're interested (post #30, although I used Obenhauf LP instead of Snowseal)

http://www.styleforum.net/t/205531/w...boot-review/15

Comment

Comment

So Cal here so not seeing any kind of weather. I've applied neatsfoot oil once in the last 3 months. Meltonian neutral creme a couple of times.

Comment

[MENTION=3160]joedet[/MENTION],

Like you, I purchased a pair of McClean boots and I've yet to apply any treatment. However, I've applied a coat of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP to my Wolverine 1000 Mile boots (Addison) in Tan and they darkened noticeably. The next day they were a few shades lighter but not the same color as they were new in box. They should continue to lighten up. In addition to the Obenauf's LP, I have a bottle of Obenauf's oil and a bottle of Lexol NF in my possession and am trying to decide which to use. Regardless of conditioner, the Chromexcel leather of the McClean should be less absorbent than the Inferno leather of the Addison.

Crane's guide is what I followed when applying LP to my Addison boots. However, according to Nick, "The last step for Chromexcel is coat of Neatsfoot Oil, so when people ask me how to condition this leather, that’s always my first recommendation."

Source: http://horween.com/101/chromexcel-2/

Regards,
          Vic
          "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Originally posted by joedet View Post
            With a heavy duty safe, twin Dobermans, and a Beretta 92A1... For starters.

Comment

I've used Obenauf's but very sparingly because of online rumors that it dulls and slows patina development.. From the fear alone of this being true, I would use neatsfoots or coconut oil or Venetian shoe cream..

Comment

i just use VC on my 1000 miles boots, addisons, iron ranger, and beckman. It also depends on what kind of weather you're facing with the 1k boots.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                  Spoken like a true Texan.

So forgive my ignorance, but Red Wing pushes mink oil and the like. Where does that fall in this discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                    This is excactly the answer I was looking for. Thats a wrap!...I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone, this will help!

Comment

[MENTION=6439]JGL[/MENTION] do you know exactly what product he's using on the sole in that first video?

Comment

A good cleaning and some neatsfoot occasionally for the two pair I have.

CXL is already pretty oily and resistant to stuff, so i wouldn't worry about having to maintain them often.

Comment

Originally posted by joedet View Post
                          [MENTION=6439]JGL[/MENTION] do you know exactly what product he's using on the sole in that first video?
                          I do not. But I read that Wolverine doesn't recommend a particular brand (probably why they took so much care in hiding the labels in the video) so any lotion conditioner you trust should be fine.

Comment

Zombie thread rebirth...

So both the 1000 mile McCleans and the Iron Rangers are on the Nordstrom sale again this year - $259 and $199 respectively.

I'm leaning toward the McCleans as I don't have a need for a true work boot. Any comments from the posters above and anyone else as to how the 1000 milers are holding up and how the care refimen is going?

Comment

A few months ago there was a thread of pics of our worn chromexcel. I put up my one year old courtlands, pretty good looking if I may say so.
                              I used neats foot twice last year, venetian shoe cream every 2 months.

Comment

Working...
                              X