The tall & skinny guy thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tall & skinny guy thread

I'd like to consolidate some of the info on the resources and clothing items that work well for someone who's roughly my measurements. FWIW, I'm 6'1", 145 lbs, 31-32x34, Small Tall (14.5 neck/34 sleeve), 36L. Virtually no shirts or jackets fit accurately OTR.

There are many MTM options, but I'd like to curate the OTR choices that I find every now and then to make it easier for someone else in the same boat.

I posted some time ago about the elusive 36L suit. You can find such suits through Marks and Spencer here.

Comment

Express is back to their usual buy 1, get one 50% off deal with the 1MX. Granted, only two colors are in Small Tall: black and white. Good luck with black, but white is versatile. Guess I could get two white shirts.

Two shirts: $89.95. It's just shy of using one of their $30 off $90 coupons (not a coincidence), so toss a sock in the order to go over the edge, putting you at $30/each for the shirts. That's reasonable for 1MX quality, especially if the fit is spot on. But how much can one lust after two white shirts?

Comment

Thanks to MikeB's post, I've discovered some other options to consider too.

Macy's carries their Alfani RED dress shirts in a great range of sizes, including 15/34-35 (which means 15/35). Don't have to buy two of these or even use a coupon code - they're $29.99 each on sale.

With all the money you save, you can get it tailored. Still, the neck is 15" which isn't going to leave me swimming, but it's pretty spacious since I'm actually 14.25".

So maybe you have a bigger neck than I do, and slightly longer arms. You have more options besides BB (below) and MTM (obviously).

MikeB mentions the Nordstrom SmartCare Trim Fit. I went out and bought it, but same problem - at 15/35, the sleeves are a little long, and the neck is more than I need. Still, easy to wash and wear with a price ($65) that's barely reasonable for a shirt I can't wear with the collar buttoned.

Comment

I feel like $88 is a lot of money on an OTR shirt, especially since it eclipses the Made in the USA custom Ratio shirts at that point. But, Brooks Brothers is quite the name in quality, and it's the only ONLY place I've found so far that carries a 14.5/34 in an Extra Slim Fit. And practically every other size. I'm tempted to order one to check the fit, but I could just as easily get a Ratio shirt. Decisions, decisions...

Comment

FWIW, the Brooks Brothers would be an easy return if you don't like it. And if they carry it in store so that you can try it on before you hand over your money, even better.

And fit aside, is Ratio material going to stand up to Brooks Brothers material? I ask because I honestly have no idea.

Comment

I'm curious too. I keep putting my eggs in their basket! Like I've mentioned before, I'm hoping a special offer comes along for Ratio so that I can try them out. If not, I'll just get impatient and order in March or so.

Comment

I'm 5'10" and 145 lb and a BB ESF 14.5/34 fits me pretty much perfect aside from me needing to tuck it in a little bit around the waist. I just put a sweater over them for now. I agree that 88 is steep for a shirt, but I got mine on that deal where you have to buy 4 shirts and it comes out to about $40 a shirt. FWIW BB's customer service is awesome and they didn't charge me for returning one of my shirts even though that technically voids the 4 shirt deal.

Comment

Switching over to pants, MikeB (thanks for all of this, dude) offers the ever-popular, oh-so-expensive J. Crew urban slim fit chinos.

You can get them in any waist size and get them unhemmed so with the help of a tailor, the inseam is perfect. At some point, I'd like to get a pair of these. But really, I don't have a problem buying pants that fit. It's just the small neck and chest of mine that wreaks havoc.

Comment

@Allen - that's cool. Gives me a little more confidence. =) Are you planning to get the shirts tailored at some point?

Comment

I'll also mention that Lands End (and sometimes LEC) offers some of their pants unhemmed.

Comment

@nicholascrawford - I probably will eventually, maybe when summer rolls around and it's too hot to wear a sweater or cardigan all the time. Also forget to mention that I also tried one of BB's sport shirts in a small ESF. The fit is even better than the 14.5/34 around the waist, but (of course) the sleeves are just way too short. I'm okay with it b/c I just wear it with the sleeves rolled up, but it was also 10 dollars cheaper during that sale so I can't complain for the quality and look of the fabric.

Comment

@Allen - Do you have any other brands where you've found a perfect fit? I'm on a quest!

Comment

Sad to say my best fitting shirt is still the MTM Blank Label that I bought with a groupon 50$ for $100. I'm definitely in the same position as you are so I'm also keeping a close eye on this thread hoping for the elusive well-fitted OTR tall skinny guy shirt!

Comment

Nice! Blank Label is another company I've heard good things about.

What about suiting? What have you found?

Comment

Working...
                              X