Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colors of suit to go well with recently posted tan boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colors of suit to go well with recently posted tan boots?

I was wondering what shades of suit would go well with the recently posted brown/tan/orange Hawking McGill wingtip boot? I was thinking in less formal situations, when I wanted to dress up a bit, but formal attire wasn't expected.

Blue would look legit with those boots.

Comment

Most everything but black and the same color brown. More variation tonaly the better.

Comment

Medium gray

Comment

In all honesty -- and hopefully I'm don't come across as offensive because I don't mean to be -- I don't know if these boots would look good with any proper suits.

I personally think the black sole edges, first of all look a bit odd, and secondly make it look much more casual than the shoe shape would typically imply.

Comment

I don't entirely disagree Chareth, but it sounds like the OP is going for the dressed up yet dressed down look. I think they would definitely work for that.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I agree with greg. I wouldn't generally wear rubber soled shoes with a suit, but at least they're not thick and chunky. The grommets on the boots add a casual feel, but it's not overwhelming.

Other posters have mentioned navy or medium grey, and I agree. Perhaps with a pinpint button-down collared shirt to round out the dressy-but-not-too-dressy look.

You can also experiment with other suit materials other than wool to change up the formality of the whole outfit. I don't see linen working with boots, but maybe cotton twill?

Comment

Here's my thought process behind my opinion:

That pair of boots is definitely visually striking, with the tan/orange upper and black soles. Within the context of casual clothing, it has much more opportunity to blend in and complement your outfit because you'll generally have more colors/patterns/fabrics going on.

With a suit, you have much less of that as your jacket and pants will be the exact same, and it will only serve to highlight the the very black soles. I think there might be a good chance the shoes will end up looking awkward because they very obviously look more casual in contrast to a formal suit. In much the same way, despite the fact that Wolverine calls their 1000 Mile a "dress boot", there's a very good chance it will awkward with a suit simply because it looks too casual.

This is all just my opinion, though, and I'm sure there might be examples of people who could pull this look off especially given the right physique, suit fit and a strong sense of style.

Comment

@Alan "I don't see linen working with boots..."

What sort of Dallas resident are you?

As for alternatives, I'd say go with a cotton navy for a casual cool look.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! I get what you're saying Chareth- but Greg hit the nail on the head: I was thinking of a wearing a suit as casual as it can be.

Honestly, I like these boots the most because of the color- the orange-ish brown looks great to me. Are there other boots of the same hue that might be better "suited"? (har har bad joke)

Comment

Avery, not in that price range. Allen Edmonds makes a wingtip boot in walnut called the Dalton that looks striking in its own way, and may go better with a suit, but it's several times the price.

But you get what you pay for, too.

Comment

Bah, ok. How about oxfords, non-boot wingtips, or other dressier shoes?

Comment

Avery, I personally like what you are going for. I only ever have to dress up because I want to so it's easier for me to dress down a suit. I like that look, not everyone will.

Can you clarify your most recent question? Are you looking for orange-brown (thus, somewhat walnut) shoes of another style in the Hawking price range?

If you like the boots, keep 'em.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Greg, the orange-brown type of color is what I'm after. My budget could potentially go as high as ~$200. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Have you considered eBay? Endless variety and deals to be had. I've bought two high end pairs there recently.

Comment

Working...
                              X