Destinkify shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destinkify shoes

Ok I solved the summer show sockless stink problem by buying moc socks - those anklet ones with low profile. They work ok but are prone to slipping off.

This is random, but 1 month in to furry moc slippers, they smell funky. And I am not wearing socks with my slippers. Nor do I really want to douse my puppies with gold bond. Any reccs? Love these slippers for warmth...

Stuff them with tissue or paper, put them in a plastic bag, then stick them in the freezer for a couple days if you've got the space. It may not solve the issue completely but it should help.

Ben

Comment

Extreme cold (freezer) and extreme heat (dryer) can both kill whatever is causing the funk. You'll have to use your discretion as to which is better for the job (which usually depends on the material).

In this case, BenR has a good idea. The plastic bag is critical, though (for the sake of the food AND the shoes). If you do go the freezer route, it wouldn't hurt to let them warm back up to near room temperature before you take them out of the bag. This will prevent any sort of condensation that can make the shoes damp and cause more bad smells.

Otherwise, if it's winter and it gets down to freezing levels where you are, you can just leave them outside overnight. In that case, don't use a bag. Theoretically the fresh air combined with the cold will kill the bacteria in one single shot. However, if it doesn't stay frozen for long enough, it won't work.

Comment

3 parts water, 1 part vodka in a spray bottle

Comment

I've never tested the water/vodka method, but is that enough vodka? I've never tried cleaning with it, but I've seen bacteria grow in creme liquors that were 20% alcohol. A solution of 3 parts water, 1 part vodka would only be 10% alcohol. Like I said, I don't know. Just what I've seen.

Comment

Dunno... I've used it. I've seen different ratios from 3:1 to 4:1

Comment

You could incinerate them to get rid of the odor and the shoe. Am I not helping??

Comment

If the bathwater's dirty enough, you'd never get it off the baby anyway...

Comment

Thanks everyone. My wife and children probably prefer nicholascrawford's route...but these moc slippers will live to see another day. It does get below freezing here, so I will give that a shot tonight. Seems like freezing is the way to go. My kids love playing with spray bottles, so the vodka is out for now...

Comment

If you intend to set them outside, it helps if it's not just below freezing, but WELL below freezing. Typical freezer temperatures are in the low 20's to the teens. Similar temperatures would be preferable for leaving the shoes outside. If it's just barely dipping below 32, you may be able to compensate for this by just leaving them out longer. Of course, any time it warms back up is like hitting the reset button and you'll likely have to start over.

Going back to the vodka suggestion, it's actually very novel. I never thought of it, but I could see it working quite well. However, you do have be careful with alcohol. It's a solvent that works well as a cleaning fuild and can break down oils, but can also dry out (and possibly discolor) leather.

If you do go the alcohol route (which is perfectly safe for some materials and likely fine for the inside of fuzzy slippers), you can use cheap rubbing alcohol in lieu of your good vodka (unless you've got some McCormick's you've been trying to get rid of).

Comment

You have a warm freezer, Alan. I thought they were usually supposed to be set at about 0°F.

Ben

Comment

A Fresh Wave pearl pack tucked inside when not in use has always worked for me.

Comment

@BenR: It was made in China. :-) Actually, the convertible freezer drawer doesn't get cold at all (shocker), but the dedicated freezer/fridge does get colder. Still in the teens, though.

Comment

Working...
                          X