Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about getting a navy suit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Thanks. I can definitely wait - this isn't urgent.

    Comment


      #17
      Stafford is house--I believe Claiborne may be as well. The Claiborne's I have tried on at JCP seem fine but the lapels are a bit skinny for my tastes--to each their own I suppose. I preferred the Stafford in a side-by-side comparison (obviously, as I bought two)

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by DPirate19 View Post
        I have to highly recommend you check out the JCP Stafford Slim Fit wool suit separates. In-store stock seems to be dwindling, but they can still be found. I have one in navy and one in medium grey, and I think I spent somewhere around $150 or less on each (doorbuster sales, etc.). 38R fit me pretty perfectly (5'10" 180lbs), just had to bring up the sleeves a bit. I'm an attorney as well and I've gotten compliments when I've gone on job interviews and at work. Can't say enough good things about them.
        I have the navy and med grey as well. Great for a beater suit. I got mine for $112 each at a doorbuster.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Wahoo1997 View Post
          Thanks. I will definitely stop by JCP and try one on. Does anyone know how the Stafford label differs from the Claiborne label? Are both JCP house brands? If so, are they different in construction or targeted at different markets?
          They are both house brands IIRC. They are not all that different or marketed towards different markets. In my experience Claibourne is a little more slim OTR. That is the Stafford classic fit is bigger than the Claibourne classic fit. Same for the slim fits. Both are fused. It seems like stafford is more widely available in brick and mortar JCPs and offers more of a variety.

          Comment


            #20
            Follow-up: do folks recommend solid navy or something different, like windowpane?

            Comment


              #21
              Solid navy if it's your main go to suit. Solid is a more conservative look, and will be more versatile.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Wahoo1997 View Post
                Thanks. I can definitely wait - this isn't urgent.
                I ordered a 38L and 40L jacket, and a 36x34 and 34x34 trousers. (for anyone just joining the conversation, this is the navy Claiborne seperates in last week's affordable navy suit post: http://dappered.com/2014/07/the-top-...le-navy-suits/)

                Here's the 38L (sorry about the short-sleeve shirt):
                https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4...720_083640.jpg
                https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/B-...Y=w645-h889-no

                Here's the 40L:
                https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-r...720_083848.jpg
                https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7...720_083940.jpg

                The 38L was great in the chest and waist, but too snug in the shoulders and armpits and the sleeves were a bit too short. The 40L was great in the shoulders and sleeve length, so I went with it and am having 1" taken out of the waist. Both jackets have ripples between my shoulder blades, but I have very square shoulders. The shoulder pads of both jackets, while thinnish, have lumps that make it look like I have big trapezius muscles that are showing through the jacket.

                I don't have photos of the trousers, but here's my report:
                - They fit large. The 36 (I'm a scant 36) almost fell off of me. The 34 fit well once I hiked them up (see the next point)
                - They are high-waisted by current standards (so, I guess you could say they have a traditional waist). Worn an inch below my navel, they fit pretty well.
                - I didn't get out a tape measure, but I think the inseam is much longer than 34"...maybe by an inch. I tried on a pair of 34x32 at the store and they were only a half inch too short (I'm normally right at 34"). So I'm having the pants hemmed by 1".

                All in all, I'm very happy with it for the price I paid and I feel like it looks as good as more expensive suits that I've had. The fabric has a nice texture (if you want, I'll take a close-up photo when I pick the suit up from the tailor) and the fit is pretty good with some minor alterations. If it lasts me a couple of years I'll be more than happy with the purchase.

                Edit: man, looking at those photos again the 38L looks much better. Hopefully the alterations on the 40L will get it close...
                Last edited by aw82; July 23, 2014, 04:42 PM.

                Comment


                  #23
                  I agree that the 38 looks a little better in the waist but the sleeves do look short. I think you made the right choice. You should post an after-tailoring picture.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Here's the suit after tailoring. The jacket is still a little big in the waist and the trousers are too long. I blame a conservative tailor. I should have had him pin things before turning over the suit. I don't think it looks bad, it's just not quite right.

                    Here are the trousers alone (sorry for my crappy cell phone pics):
                    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-q...731_071756.jpg
                    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Q...731_071804.jpg
                    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-n...731_071818.jpg

                    Here's with the jacket (a bit bunchy/pully due to the awkwardness of taking a selfie, I think):
                    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i...731_072725.jpg
                    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S...731_072801.jpg
                    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J...731_072915.jpg

                    And a better image of the color/texture:
                    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0...731_073012.jpg

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Agreed that the pants are a bit too long, but I don't think the jacket is bad at all. You could probably have it taken in a little, but to me it looks pretty good.

                      Originally posted by aw82 View Post
                      Here's the suit after tailoring. The jacket is still a little big in the waist and the trousers are too long. I blame a conservative tailor. I should have had him pin things before turning over the suit. I don't think it looks bad, it's just not quite right.

                      Here are the trousers alone (sorry for my crappy cell phone pics):
                      https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-q...731_071756.jpg
                      https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Q...731_071804.jpg
                      https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-n...731_071818.jpg

                      Here's with the jacket (a bit bunchy/pully due to the awkwardness of taking a selfie, I think):
                      https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i...731_072725.jpg
                      https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S...731_072801.jpg
                      https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-J...731_072915.jpg

                      And a better image of the color/texture:
                      https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0...731_073012.jpg

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by paulsoncall View Post
                        Agreed that the pants are a bit too long, but I don't think the jacket is bad at all. You could probably have it taken in a little, but to me it looks pretty good.
                        Thanks for your comment on the jacket. I guess I'm just a little bummed that it doesn't do more to show off my new-found slenderness (after losing ~30 lbs).

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by aw82 View Post
                          Thanks for your comment on the jacket. I guess I'm just a little bummed that it doesn't do more to show off my new-found slenderness (after losing ~30 lbs).
                          I hear ya. I'm trying to lose about 20 lbs myself and will hopefully be in your position soon!

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I think the suit looks pretty good also. The shoulders looks smooth, and I don't see the lumps that you mentioned earlier.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                              I think the suit looks pretty good also. The shoulders looks smooth, and I don't see the lumps that you mentioned earlier.
                              Thanks! I steamed the hell out of the shoulders then hung it on a very thick hanger.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                The pants are definitely long. The jacket looks great from the front, but doesn't have much shape from the side pic - you can have them take it in from the sides of the back around your waist. The jacket should have a little bit of a curve in your lower back, not be straight down.

                                A reasonably respectable tailor will correct the alterations for free (as long as you bring it right back and don't wait 6 months while wearing the suit a few times), so take it back and explain where you're still not satisfied.

                                Otherwise, a good looking suit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X