No announcement yet.

Cleaning The Inside of Shirt Collars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just adding my support for oxi-clean. I have had good success with it for my whites. Good luck on going back to the office. Not sure when I'll find myself back there.

Comment

Originally posted by blan2819 View Post
      Revisiting this thread since I'm returning to work in person on a more regular basis very soon. I've noticed some of my white shirts have some yellow discoloring since I haven't worn some shirts in over a year. Those pesky collar stains have now set-in over time. Want to try and rid them before resorting to getting new shirts - has anyone had this happen to them? Looks like oxi-clean is the way to go for washing, but any other tips and tricks which have emerged? Thanks!
      You may need to wash as warm as you're comfortable doing a few times but oxiclean will get them new.
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by blan2819 View Post
        Those pesky collar stains have now set-in over time. Want to try and rid them before resorting to getting new shirts - has anyone had this happen to them? Looks like oxi-clean is the way to go for washing, but any other tips and tricks which have emerged? Thanks!
        If the stain doesn't come out in the wash, even with a hydrogen peroxide stain remover such as Oxiclean or Resolve, a more direct treatment can work.

I find the only way to get out anti-perspirant stains is to wet the area, sprinkle on a thin layer of Oxiclean/Resolve/etc., spray the powder with water to get it to stick, then roll the shirt up and let it soak in a basin for a few hours or overnight. I'll usually use hot water to fill the basin, to encourage the powder to dissolve into hydrogen peroxide quickly, but leave it to cool off. Tepid water will work, but may need more soaking time. Hard water may require hot water to get proper dissolution.

For regular laundering I find rubbing in a spray version of these hydrogen peroxide stain removers and giving it a few minutes before tossing shirts into the wash is sufficient. (Easy enough to make some using the powder, but mix it in an opaque spray bottle as light will break down the hydrogen peroxide.)

The nice thing about these oxygen stain removers is that most clothing dyes are not affected. I've not noticed any fading, even on coloured shirt collars that are spot treated before every wash.
        Last edited by Galcobar; September 10, 2021, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Stain Stick
          Shout
          Oxyclean
          Any kind of pre-treatment would do wonders
          Also putting them all in a load of laundry by themselves with a 1/4 cup or less of bleach--make them bone white.

or

get inexpensive replacements:
          https://www.amazon.com/BUTTONED-Tail...s%2C154&sr=8-7

Do the best cleaning job you can on the old ones and donate them.

Comment

Thank you all for this sage advice! Much appreciated.
            Oral B.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferret View Post
              Yeah, exfoliate your dang neck. Use a wash cloth or a loofa or whatever, actually scrub your body. Makes your feet/shoes stink way less, keeps your collars crisp.
              +1; took me way to long to learn this

Comment

Update - Oxiclean worked wonders. I bought the power detergent version, soaked about 4 white shirts in water & oxiclean for about 6 hrs, then washed normal in warm water with another small scoop of oxiclean and normal laundry detergent. There were some collar stains which had been there OVER A YEAR and they all came out; shirts look excellent all things considered. Thanks again for the tips!
                Oral B.

Comment

Dang, it's too bad the Oxi-clean pitchman guy died like ten years ago. He'd be loving this thread! But for reals, Oxi-clean does work. Fels Naptha too.

Comment

Oxi-Clean hey? Good to know. I've been using Shout, but I'll have to give Oxi a try.

Comment

I have the shout advance roll on version, which works well for fresh stains and whatnot on collars and cuffs, but the application process can be a little rough on shirts over time with all the friction you apply from the bottle with it's built in bristles. I even changed to using a toothbrush which is softer but I still feel like over time that'll deteriorate the fabric. So it was nice to see that with just soaking the shirts for several hours than adding a little into the load to wash normally worked really well on set in stains which were like a year plus old.
                      Oral B.

Comment

Working...
                      X